Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix buys streaming rights for WWE Raw - 10 Year Contract

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will VM lose their highlights shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

There's a lull definitely on content but I wouldn't put that on just Netflix, but for the prices they charge I'd expect more.

I have Disney and Prime, but I feel they're prices are just about OK for what they're delivering.

It's fascinating that Netflix swooped in on this, as WB/Max seemed to be the ones getting crap for removing original content in favour of more reality based programming, yet they haven't done any deals close to this. Netflix have just changed the game as a whole for streaming out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I wouldn’t think so. WWE has those in various markets and it’s also a week behind, so it’s pretty much an advertising tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Seems like a really weird fit with Netflix.

I can see why they're spending the money. Only yesterday I was looking at WWEs 99million subscribers on YT.

With it's viewership worldwide the WWE legitimately has to be up there with the Premier League. It will only get bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Excuse the double post.

Unfortunately this will absolutely be the case. Its the one thing I would pay hundreds for. A solid "worts n all" Netflix series on Vince.

Arguably one of the biggest people on pop culture history and he's still a bit of an enigma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Seems like a good deal, but I am at a stage where I think the best way to keep up with the product is through clips on their YouTube channel.

Even lately, they have been very good at uploading segments in full length like The Rock return from a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

When Netflix launched here 10 or 11 years ago I used a VPN to access the US version as they had loads of WWE content on it, all the documentaries like the Flair and HBK ones as well as dvd special releases like history of the ladder matches, Austins best matches etc so there is history between the two companies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

for those wondering how the ads will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I assumed would be like AEW since they have the online version and the televised version. So picture in picture for televised during matches or fullscreen with commentary for online. Then when between matches, just get the standard WWE ads or maybe promos for Netflix shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So what will now become the longest running episodic show on TV when RAW moves to streaming?

Poor Michael Cole will have to find a new line.

• Advertisement

Oh Netflix will still be considered "TV" and Raw is still episodic. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The longest-running weekly episodic television show in history.

Smackdown will be. If Smackdown moves to Netflix after its deal expires, then it will be TNA Impact. Wrestling is pretty unique in that it airs once a week, every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They'll keep saying it, to annoy the people who actually care about something so inconsequential.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

Some deal for WWE. Regardless if some think there is far less original content worth watching on Netflix these days, it is by far the top streaming service. Disney, Amazon, Paramount, HBO Max and Apple have all been hemorrhaging money and subscribers in the past few years whereas Netflix is dominating again after a slowdown in subs and a drop in stock in 2022. If you look at the US market alone , this recent report shows Netflix has a larger share in viewers than Prime, Disney+, Max and Paramount combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭SteM

The problem for the streamers is there are so many that people are smartening up and dipping in and out. Disney+ over Christmas, Apple TV when something new is released etc. Let stuff build up and then binge over a month.

This is an interesting solution for netflix, less likely for wwe fans to dip in and out of their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It got a good run

Did Netflix ever live stream anything ? Will Royal Rumble 2025 be the first streamed event on it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They did a live stream for a reunion show of one of their dating shows last year and I seem to remember reading about it not going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭SteM

They streamed a Chris Rock special live.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

They live streamed a golf/F1 crossover event too so they have been making moves. I presume first raw of 2025 will be their first event. Also something needs to be wrapped up for the last few months of this year when deals start running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I guess it is time to use my WWE Network subscription more than ever now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really want to see the Vince warts and all Netflix doc now after tonight new news

However after spending billions it will not see the light of day on Netflix anyway.

There's a chance that Netflix were just the distributors / funders of said documentary; it could be some film production company making the doc and it could be picked up by Disney or Prime or some other TV network? Possible anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No. It is a Netflix documentary (docuseries) - They created it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

Will we get the original unedited uncensored shows from the past when the back catalogue is added to Netflix or will they add the edited Peacock network catalogue. Also I wouldn’t like to be the team that had to edit Vince and Vince voice out of the back catalogue.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The network even when it first started was not unedited. The peacock versions made more edits to some stuff when it took over they then became standard. The big edit is the piper vs Bad News brown match from WM 6.

There’s a goldust match from a raw in 1998 I think which is edited off.

Vince won’t be edited off the network. It would be a disaster to do. I can see him being given something like Benoit, in that they won’t highlight him in the searches and might change the chapter titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

They have Tyson/Paul and Taylor/Serrano in the boxing coming up.

Advertisement