Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix buys streaming rights for WWE Raw - 10 Year Contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wow, that's huge.

5 billion for a 10 year contract. That's massive.

Kind of the end of the rating wars too, actually, cause Netflix tend to hold those figures close to their chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭cena

Yes. I can start watching raw again. I haven't watched since it used to be on sky sports. I still watch the main ppv

"Netflix will also become the home for all WWE shows and specials outside the U.S. as available, inclusive of Raw and WWE’s other weekly shows – SmackDown and NXT – as well as the company’s Premium Live Events, including WrestleMania, SummerSlam and Royal Rumble"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So not just Raw. Smackdown and NXT as well outside the US.

Will they stream it live or will it just be added later?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That is big. Not just in terms of WWE but Netflix must have big live streaming plans in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus. The money is huge but it’s good I suppose that we wont have to use Netflix and BT sports here. I’m happy that once sky don’t have their hands on it. That has always been my worry but it seems that it won’t happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I wonder will the back catalogue be added eventually too, it's a massive library and Netflix loves having alot of ready made content.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's what I was wondering myself as it kind of makes our version of the Network (even more) defunct with the PLEs and NXT moving there from 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I always found the network to be quite janky so happy to see it move to a stable platform like netflix, I already have a netflix sub so it won't cost me much more but I'd assume there will be some kind of price bump in the sub price. Wonder will they have it tiered eg an existing NF sub can access the content for an extra couple of quid a month or you can access wrestling content only for cheaper than a standard NF sub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

From the press release,

Long-Term Deal Brings Weekly Live Sports Entertainment to Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How do adverts and PPVs work now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I expect Netflix will want to add more than Wrestling content and live streaming before adjusting price plans. They shad planned apend of c17billion on content for 2024 year as it is so this deal is around 3% of its content budget.

It is possible they will be reducing spend on some other content.

They reported having a billion extra in unplanned cash during the hollywood strikes. Those strikes and delays, with WWE still going ahead, may be another reason they want to look at WWE like content that is consistent as well as its huge catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So is this the end of the network as we know it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

Brilliant news I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will RAW go back to 2 hours now there is now need for ads.

Or is there where Netflix ad based subscriptions come into play so RAW stays 3 hours with ad breaks,.

Will USA put Smackdown up against RAW on a Monday night on TV.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I suppose they could do picture and picture but with Netflix ads on shows coming up etc?

I guess we will also get the watered down Vince Netflix doc now.

They won't want to taint the product they are paying billions for.

I don't know how Netflix do ads but Hulu, MAX, Paramount, Disney etc do ad breaks during movies and series an there ad tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

So presume Raw, SD and NXT are gone off BT/TNT (NXT already gone?) and it'll all be live / on-demand via Netflix?

That's the job. Use Netflix via the cheap Turkey route and share with family so should come in handy.

• Advertisement

That’s what I took it to mean that is how it will be here next year, and no 30 day wait like there is now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Does anyone else have the feeling that Netflix doesn't have much worth watching anymore? I barely ever use it nowadays compared to Disney, and if I do I just end up rewatching the same old handful of shows and movies I always do.

So getting all that WWE content is a good get for Netflix in that regard imo, but at that price though? Seems quite expensive

Post edited by riffmongous on

Netflix has the option to cancel the 10-year deal with WWE after just 5 years, and has the option to extend the deal for an additional 10 years.

So it will either be a 5 year deal or a 20 year deal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea I'm the same, I very rarely use Netflix nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,395 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Time to sell the Netflix shares. This deal is lunacy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

20 years feels an incredibly long timeframe for something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Netflix's best days are long gone. I don't know why I keep it. Maybe for a few comfort shows like It's Always Sunny and in fairness their animated stuff is very good like Arcane and Blue Eye Samurai.

But I remember when they regularly had maybe half a dozen shows you'd want to watch. Nowadays, nothing takes my fancy on there.

Apple TV is very good though. Some great shows on there, especially for sci-fi stuff.

Well the TKO stock has shot up on the announcement of the deal. According to yahoo finance it may break one day record set in December, 1999. It’s getting reported all over the place.

Yeah, Netflix has the least amount of stuff that I’d watch naturally.

Disney and Amazon, I pretty much keep going all the time, cause a month rarely goes by I don’t get my worth out of it.

• Advertisement

It's a very clever clause by Netflix because if after 5 years it isn't hitting the numbers they want they can get out and if it is hitting or exceeding the numbers they want they can use that option and TKO cannot use other companies to bid against Netflix to get a bigger offer.

Advertisement