Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jocelyn - Tuesday 23/Wednesday 24 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm in South Wicklow, house is on the cusp of a hill and it's definitely sounds worse than Storm Isha here, must be the slight difference in wind direction as to the south west, we have found fewer higher hills and mountains for shelter compared with all other directions

Very mild out there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

54.7kph just there beats the 53.3kph earlier. Need to raise my anemometer another 2 metres eh?

Still the storms peaking now in Sligo and stronger than A to H were here. I is unbeatable though. Nearly 30kph ahead still.

Winds will ease off before too long I'd imagine by 1am it will be more breezy than stormy in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Did a quick run of Sandymount, Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, and Dalkey around high tide, nothing out of the ordinary. I know the winds are pushing out to sea, but even when that happens you do get waves and spray with a 3.7m tide, but there really was nothing apart from the noise of the wind, a very normal lapping tide.

So, very calm along the southside coastal waters, once you come in a little bit there's a howl, and fallen bin rubbish flying everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

North Kildare and some fairly big gusts. Whatever way it’s hitting the house it’s coming in differently to Sunday but plenty blowy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

For sustained winds Jocelyn is winning hands down imby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Ya wind is fairly sustained with this one. New power cuts in Collooney and Ballymote with virtually the whole of both villages in darkness now.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

north co dublin and the power has been gone a few hours now...came back for 5 mins at one stage and then gone again...some very strong gusts but not as frequent as sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

South Roscommon, gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Still very breezy in a Trim with the strongest gusts probably gale force. Been indoors since I got back from Longford around 20:00 so perhaps it's been stronger up till recently and that it's easing now as it's fairly typical very breezy to windy weather in this part of Meath now

• Advertisement

RTE still has number as 34k without power. I'd say there's a lot more now. There must be some trees down too.

Heard of a large tree falling in Sligo county blocking a road. Still not gone here but Met have extended out the yellow wind warning on their forecast for Sligo till 5am

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

Still very strong windy outside windy mountbellow

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Oranmore Galway out by the coast.

Some hefty gusts here the last hour or so, creaking roof and roof tiles flapping a bit. Didn't expect this so late or to be so powerful. Dying off a bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

On the Laois/Kilkenny border, it’s definitely far more of a howling wind than Isha. The roof of the house and shed are making far more noise than Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

I though would be calming by midnight seem keep windy going on

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

But a car is the safest place to be in a thunderstorm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

God almighty I thought this won't be anything as bad as Isha, but the howls out of it! Seems to be hitting the house hard.

Now thankfully not going on as long, but the toddler is up again.

Feck you storms!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

It’s been consistently gusting here in north Kilkenny since 6:30. Hasn’t let up one bit. Every bit as bad as Isha and probably worse because of its consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Starting to calm down here in Donegal. Pretty strong gusts from 11 to 1.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Most mental gust of the week just now near Tullamore..

Absolutely 10% and higher above Isha's best. A proper wig banisher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭waywill1966

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Current wind gusts, still blustery here in carrick, defo wasn't as bad as isha

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was woken at 0230 by the noise in North inishowen.

Was very sustained.

Starting to calm a little now at 0330, must be moving by.

No power.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Belmullet co. Mayo, no power since Sunday. Not supposed to be back until late Thursday night

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still pretty windy/gusty in Greystones this morning. Gusting 48 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Absolute calmness here outside Newport. There were some strong sustained gusts last night but nowhere near the level of Sunday night.

Hopefully that's it for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’d well believe it. Looking at the weather maps it appears South Dublin got the least impact yet just up the road in NCD and down the road to South Wicklow had a roar of a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tippingpoint

Same here, just outside Carrick on Shannon! Expected restore time updated to 8pm on the 25th 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm comparison table updated with the numbers of Jocelyn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

East Sligo - very windy again last night but not as bad as Sunday. I slept through and woke to the birds singing this morning, it's all nice and calm again. Our lights flickered multiple times last night but thankfully we didn't lose power at all.

Advertisement