Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jocelyn - Tuesday 23/Wednesday 24 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Based on forecasts, expecting it to be less severe than yesterday here in Cork (just north of the city since it's a big county). Observing the conditions yesterday, I think orange was about right for what we got - the impact is on the high side of orange though with trees / branches down in the local area. Definitely wasn't red level.

Not expecting too much disruption locally due to Jocelyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Plenty of trees down and I notice a good few are badly slanted and hanging on a by thread so tomorrow will be more impactful than normal for those wind speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭crusd

"I'm in Monaghan, in Ulster, which is the North, we had no wind"

"Why was Clare not included in warning, its Munster, which everyone knows is in the south of Ireland, but the warning was for the west"

The less specific you are the worse it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Sorry for posting a comment further up PAGE 1 ( since deleted ) about red or not red warning in certain places. Apologies, as it is, as mentioned by mod @Meteorite58, derailing this thread.

So please lets keep this thread for the up and coming storm Joyceln and move over to the thread below to discuss what I said. I have moved what I said over there instead ( direct link to that post ):

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121654209/#Comment_121654209

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

What is the likelihood of flight disruption on Wednesday as a result of Jocelyn? Due to fly to the UK from Dublin early on Wednesday morning (7am). I was so relieved I hadn't flown yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder will power be back before going out again on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

Probably some disruption on Tuesday evening since it looks like there will be crosswinds that could impact landing craft for periods.

Any disruption on Wednesday morning more likely to be caused by aircraft being out of position than anything weather related. Some airlines will no doubt cancel both outbound and inbound flights for some craft on Tuesday evening so they can run as normal on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

ICON has it just about Orange in the very NW

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

GFS keeping the strongest winds out to the coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah that definitely seems to the trend with this one. Large windfield though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Very seldom go on twitter but had to look at sryans chart. The bit hing and whingeing from the UK about naming storms that wouldn't take your hat off was unbelievable. I answered one about the amount of outages and the 3 deaths on the island and then exited stage left before the toxicity floored me. 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

The latest GFS continues to show the strongest winds (90-110kmh gusts) from Jocelyn affecting Atlantic coastal counties of the west and northwest. The wind field is much less expensive than that of Isha.

Less windy conditions in the southeast. 

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Further power cuts may happen tomorrow but still 155,000 still without power and could take days for all to be restored

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JVince

Only 10 storms to go to finally have one named after myself 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

During the showers today we had some fairly strong gusts at times. I noticed one or two trees are slanted so perhaps if we had a gust of 50 mph tomorrow it might be enough to topple one of them. I remember one year a tree fell the day after a storm. It was a calm day. Someone had walked past the tree about five minutes before it fell.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 River22

I just came here to say something similar. When will Jocelyn hit the east coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I wonder what happens if they run out of storm names? Do they add a few more then?

I don't know to be honest think they cross that bridge when they get to it ,we've gotten to m or n I think then after that it's a record amount I'll have to Google it now and I'll let ya know

11 is the most named in one season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Are these storms just normal winter storms or is the strong El Nino having an affect.

I still remember a documentary where I first heard about El Nino. I think it was on Discovery or National Geographic before they ruined them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jocelyn can **** right off.

I'm getting used to having power and heat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Will keep an eye on radar for any localized effects but away from very exposed coasts, does not look too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

They implement the mythical rule.

So, Son of Agnes, etc.

But if its an absolute belter, we go into Sumerian mythology.

So, Mother of all Minnies, etc.

Sounds terrifying to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Jocelyn is likely to bring max gusts of circa 110km to Atlantic coastal locations in the west and northwest during Tuesday evening. Max gusts of 80-90kmh are expected away from exposed coastal locations.

Met Eireann warnings included below. Visit https://www.met.ie/warnings-today.html

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy rain in Galway wind gusting to 50 mph on my station

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

certainly near me donegal coco did trojan work yesterday sorting trees. it's not often I praise donegal coco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Lights flickering outside Newport and the rain is torrential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

If there’s any farmers reading this, please check the gates going into fields. A split second later and the whole side of my car would have been hit with full force by a wide galvanised gate swinging open into the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

About as horrible as a day gets here in Monaghan, rain and driving wind.

Advertisement