Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots-on-the-ground buying, how are you finding it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Woah

Drimnagh seems to be ridiculous with bidding at the moment. Doesn't help that a particular D8 estate agent seems to undervalue everything on the asking price in order to spark a bidding war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Are they the original windows? If so, it would be a shame to rip them out...

What's it like living in an old house?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd love to know how many original wooden windows still exist from a house that old. You'd be talking almost 150 years of regular maintenance. I doubt there'd be many. Would say that person's single glazed are a bit more recent than that (could still be fairly old though)

My parents house was built in the 70s and my folks were the last house in the whole estate to still have the original wooden windows up until last year. My dad's a painter and decorator so was able to keep them maintained well, but at 50 years of age they were starting to look a tatty. Got them all out and replaced last year.

The difference in the quality of life and comfort in the house is crazy.

Well when I went on the 14 Henrietta Street tour, we were told by the guide that some of the glass in the windows was the original glass from the early 18th century. On such an old building, it's probably not permitted to replace the windows, and I think a lot of them get a BER exemption for this reason.

However, as someone who remembers single-glazed windows in an old house as a child, there's a lot to be said for modern windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

If one interested parties is the council you can just not bother bidding because no matter what you bid they will bid more.

• Advertisement

Well I was asking about what happens in France, but yes that's what happens here. You get out-bid by your own tax-euros, possibly to house people (home-grown or imported) who have never contributed a cent. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There's no value in fixer uppers either, even if you're doing the labour yourself. Materials are too expensive, and you'll need some trades that are charging an arm and a leg.

If you can even get a tradesman to do the work.

The lockdowns caused mayhem, though very profitable mayhem if one just so happened to be holding the right assets at the right time. If I were a young man again, I'd be praying for a 2008 crash right now. It wasn't a fun time, but if it's choice between that or this infinite growth nightmare, I'd be willing to take my chances with the former.

id have to echo this - we had to go on the upper end of our budget and look at houses that are move in ready as when you start breaking down what’s to be done in older fixer uppers your going to pay a fortune and never mind the hassle of getting the work done itself. It’s just not worth it for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

The issue is the fixer upper is not priced according to the state that is in. The fixer up is for sale few grand less than a walk in. Insane stuff.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Can I just ask, do you get a kick out of **** all over some of the people in here trying to get a semi decent roof over their heads?

I can understand if you were just trying to add little helpful bits like mentioning it might need some essential works done but most people out there are barely able to meet the asking prices and you come in **** all over what they like the look of.

All comments about needing 100k+ plus retrofits, which could be just about understandable without the snarky way its put across like above, but you are also in telling lads about gutting fairly descent kitchens etc? We'd all love to have a lovely A rated house and only spend a few quid on a air pump bill each winter but it's not realistic for a large chuck of people. I know people who have put up new builds and still have an upstairs without finishing bar a few rads a few years into occupancy cause unfortunately people have to save and pay like their parents, God knows what you'd say about that.

A lot of people here might only be able to meet the prices for these houses that will need bits and bobs done eventually.

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are trying to help people but man you can come across so ignorant sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What are you talking about. Where did I talk about gutting 'fairly decent kitchens"

If you aren't clued into how much money it costs to bring a 50 year old home up to current building standards in relation to BER requirements or electrical safety and plumbing that's not on me. I'd suggest you go learn rather than having a dig at me.

Education is a level playing field horse.

Might I add , I don't have a heat pumped and I've spend the last 7 years doing up my own house solo out of every penny we had a bit at a time. So go fck off with your big budget waffle I've never told anyone such advice.

Spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's my experience. Old houses needing tens of thousands for a refurb advertised for more than new build after HTB.

I get that some older houses have larger gardens and "character", but there's a lot to be said for coming home to a house thats warm and cheap to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Except where the openings have been changed (some rear windows to doors), the window frames are all original. I don’t think much of the glass is but looking at the texture of it, many of my neighbours have a pane or two of original glass, especially on the more decorative windows with lots of little coloured panes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not cold once I got the time clock changed in the heating system - had been a pain using the manual overrides on the valves plus keenly aware of how much it costs to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

50 year ago of houses don’t need to be bought up to current building standards.

current building standards don’t include 2 foot thick stone walls. …

and installers aren’t installing heat pumps correctly, do you are better off not having one. I know several people with a heat pump who are paying more for heating than those with gas

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭slystallone

Using the camera, for example, would it be very obvious to tell between an insulated wall and an uninsulated wall?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Only if you have them both in the same house, if all the walls are not insulated all walls will look the same. The cameras generally adjust to the location, so say 20 degrees can look orange in one house and blue the next. Best to reference against a location you know and record the actual temps. they are much better for showing problems after an insulation job or around window fittings, unless you are used to them

i use a flir standalone and phone unit and they are very good if you know what to look for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Yes, very obvious ... in the right conditions, with the right equipment and when you understand what you are looking at (i.e. trained & experienced in building thermography)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Friend went sale agreed on a duplex apartment and looks like there are leakage issues(on ground floor apartments) in some apartments which has created challenges for everyone and the MC tried to fix it but did not work…Is this a big issue ? What things should they ask the agent/solicitors? Sink fund? Cost of fixing it etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A leak could literally be anything. I'd a leak in my rental apartment back in January last year and it took three callouts and substantial work to fix. Absolute nightmare.

Depends on what it is, could be something like a bath, sink or shower needed to be resealed but we viewed a house recently where there was a leak in the hot press that was never fixed and 3 of the rooms ceilings downstairs had serious damage to them and it led us to walking away right away as generally the vendor knows their there and is chancing not having to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Tell your friend to run away while he can.

Not being flippant but that damage could to thousands of euros, the guy upstairs aren't going to want to pay for it, the rest of the residents won't want to use up their sinking fund (if they have one) and many insurance companies refuse to cover water damage. And what happens if it recurs?

If he sticks with it, he should be asking for a decent discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Well he is the guy upstairs. Does that change anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I guess it does, but if the cost of repairs comes out of the sinking fund or gets added to next year's management fees, then he's indirectly paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I see a house in Dundrum that was listed with one agent before Christmas and didn't sell, has now been relisted by Sherry Fitz at 15% HIGHER than the price it didn't sell for previously

Don't things usually go down in price when they dont sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭user302243

Depends on the previous agent, I've seen properties not sell with auctioneera then get relisted for more and sell for even more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Redkite200

It feels impossible to be honest, going out to look at houses prices at say anywhere between 250k-330k sorta bracket when they come up. Usually a large crowd of viewers turn up and the agent has an offer in (or says they do) immediately. Regularly echoing what I have seen from other posters on here where the offers are way way over asking and well over our max budget ruling us out. Demand outweighs supply and it's an easy time for estate agents as they are shifting houses that come on the market so easily and quickly. Buying a place with a terrible BER rating as a 'do-er upper' isn't feasible in mnay cases either but they are not prices according to their actual often poor condition and you'd be looking at a six figure sum to modernise the property and bring it up to standard.

Advertisement