Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Minds Point Depot 18th March

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Looking on Ticketmaster earlier tonnes of tickets left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Going by setlist.fm they have gone on around 8.30 on each of the 2 prvious shows and finished around 10.20 / 10.25

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Why are Ticketmaster still trying to flog already overpriced tickets at inflated dynamic rates, supposedly based on demand, when the gig is far from sold out, with seemingly little or no demand!!?

Their grotesque and unethical practices surely have turned a lot of people off the idea of going, and quinched any chance of people picking up last minute tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Nothing dynamic showing for me, just a bunch of tickets at €91 in the centre blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

loads of tickets available for belfast tomorrow if you have missed out

• Registered Users Posts: 8 The nighthawk

Really enjoyed the concert. Waterfront is a great opener and they had the crowd in the palm of their hand with Don't you forget about me with everyone in the seats on their feet through the extended "La la la" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Brilliant gig. Was way busier than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Who was Jim talkin about when he mentioned a salubrious neighbour in Killiney? When he mentioned him not being who we think it was, and being a solo artist, I thought of Van Morrisson?

Glad to hear it was a good gig.

Did they play "Big Sleep"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 The nighthawk

I was thinking Van Morrison as well as Jim wasn't very complimentary and Van has quite the reputation for having a difficult personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nah. We’re acknowledging that while businesses can pay to stick their name over the door, we can still call the place what it’s called. Lansdowne road, Olympia, and the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You can call it whatever you want. But you'd be incorrect. Like I can call you "Larry". But I would be wrong (unless of course your name is actually Larry).

Lansdowne Road was demolished. The Aviva is a completely different building.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not quite. If Larry paid to have me named Larry, you’d have a point! Not a 3 Arena mind you. A Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

First time at a Minds gig last night. They played well but it was SO FECN LOUD. I had to retire to the bar after about an hour and even then it was still deafening. My 4 companions thought the same. Very uncomfortable experience. Is this a one off or do they always play so loud?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

First time seeing SM last night. No idea why I haven’t seen them before. Excellent show with fantastic sound. Some of my shots below…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

3arena can be loud. I always bring cheap foam earplugs these days just in case. Pop them in when it's too much. Can still hear the music and gives my ears a break

We were sitting centre front and I cannot agree that the sound was good. Apart from the ear bleeding volume the keyboards (a big part of SM sound) got totally swamped by the overdriven bass at times. Example would be one of my favourites, Hunter & the Hunted; you could hardly hear the keyboards which are a huge part of that song on record.

I've been to so many gigs at "the point" (as I prefer lol) and the only other one almost as loud was Brit Floyd; I moved to the upper seats and it was then ok. Last night even in the bar my ears were throbbing, it took all the pleasure out of the gig for me and at 100 quid that really wasn't great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,996 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there not a max volume that concerts are allowed to be at, decibel wise?

In this health and safety obsessed world we live in, I find it hard to believe that people would be allowed to be subjected to painful volume levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭tom23

Van Morrison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I've been at a few in 3arena this past year and some have been fine and others very loud for no reason. And some have excellent sound quality and others muffled and indistinct.

I always stand in the centre at least in the middle to the front of the stage. I think they use noise levels to hide the poor sound quality sometimes. It's up to the sound engineer to get the sound quality right.

I can see lots of lawsuits down the line for concert venues. They do give safe hearing advice and try to sell you ear plugs when you purchase a ticket on Ticketmaster. The plugs should be free and reusable if you want them. What's loud for some isn't loud for others. But the science is there regarding decibel levels, duration and ear damage.

Tinnitus isn't fun. I have a low ringing in my ears that I don't want to get worse. I always bring cheap foam ear plugs and stick them in if it's too loud to give my ears a break for a decent period of time. They are fine for rock/pop concerts, can hear everything and the decibel levels are way down.

Also handy for blocking out people chatting at concerts. The chatty chat chat brigade..😆😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah.

Someine actually shouted it out!

Was that you Tom?

Should have made the trip to Belfast! :)

They were very loud in the 3 arena in 2022 also. Jim's vocals were pretty buried in the mix that night. Not sure if he had an off night or the sound engineer couldn't get their sh*te together! Even the spoken parts between songs were inaudible mumbles... Pretty dissapointing for what otherwise should have been a brilliant gig!

It was pretty loud for the first two songs then settled.

I got that uncomfortable feeling of the drum beat in my chest.

Enjoyed the second half of the setlist more than the first which was not the case when we saw them in 2022.

His storys were gas.. between the cxxt of a neighbour (his words not mine!) and the poor Eric the Viking keyboardist who had his first night out in Dublin on Paddy's night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭tom23

not this time! i was way up the back…

i thought at first it was chris de burgh (enniskerry i think)… then bono still in some band (but lives in dalkey) and then copped oh yes poor oul Van! i laughed at the story.

Sound at the back was great I thought..

Great gig!.

I figured as much, I was in the gods for the Cure and the sound was amazing. Best I've heard the 3 arena, with the exception of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!

I've heard similar reports from Simple Minds in 2022... I was on the dance floor and the sound was pretty ropey.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

re sound quality at the Point

I've been to at least one show a year since that nye U2 gig in 89

for me its still the same kipp it always was, I personally I cannot recall one single gig over the years where I came out thinking jasus the sound was great

same arguments year in year out about sound...engineer this, layout that, the other rootcause...

bottom line is its fundamentally a train shed like it always was whatever fancy corporate notions

its not purpose built for musical events. its a tarted up train shed. that I goto because sometimes there's no other options

• Advertisement

Seats are a disgrace.

Pay a fortune and they are tiny.. so tight rubbing up against each other and not in a happy way.. yikes!

I am small and I was squished between 2 large males, one my oh and the other a stranger!

Prefer standing.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Advertisement