Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fiber worse than Imagine....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ondafly

just to add a little "FYI" to your thread - I have a Asus Mesh setup here - pretty extensive, over 50+ clients with 5 Aimesh nodes. Internet provided by Eir Fiber.

Its been pretty reliable in the last 3 or so years. However 2 nights this week (Tuesday & Wednesday) Cannot be sure of exact time, but around 830pm-850pm - internet dropped both evenings, it came back itself the first evening before 9. However last night, I was more aware, and just power cycled the OTN and all was well again.

so possibly Eir are having issues themselves or its completely unrelated 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

LOL.. wouldnt THAT just put the cap on it..

Eir screwing with me 🤣

Do you have the NBI OTN and does the data light flash orange?

Its just with the zenwifi AX xt8 that I have .. when I connect it to the OTN directly.. and set it up as a router.. I get the data light flashing yella...

But when the Eir router is connected to the OTN I get a green data light...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

The yellow light question was answered on the other thread you are asking on.

Rather than it being "a bit old and unable to cope" your Zenwifi looks to be quite highly specced (2.5gb ports arent that common even yet).

Ohh feck.. sorry.. I missed that...

Yeah, it says 1Gb/2.5Gb on the port in fact...

So maybe it WAS just Eir's service that was responsible for the drops then... sheesh..

• Advertisement

I would assume an amber light in your scenario is possibly highlighting a speed difference. If I recall correctly on a Cisco Nexus switch - the lights are amber for 10gig, and I have a feeling green when 1gig. So if you are saying your Router is 2.5gb port connecting to a 1gig port on the ONT - that could explain the light. Again google the ONT and get some documentation in it to confirm. My ONT is Huawei I believe, and I think has 10gig support. The greenlight regularly flashes - shows me its on at least :)

Would it be a problem tho? If the zenwifi can take up to 2.5G surely it'll cope fine with 1G ?

The ONT is a Nokia xs-010x-Q so I'll have a google for info on that...

I presume the green data light is supposed to flash is it? Not just be steady like the other lights?

With that model number you gave confirms my theory. Color denotes speed. You get blue if you are connected at 10gb also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Now with this additional info, set laptop on Ethernet to Eir and run continues ping to some public IP, then go to watch your stream/other usual activities on WiFi. if it drops check the laptop. Can repeat the same with asus.

Yeah, I'll have to get some monitoring going alright...

I was just on a zoom call there and a message popped up saying my internet connection was unstable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jumpin jack

I would take your WiFi out of the equation for the moment and connect my laptop directly to the router via an ethernet cable and run a ping test to 8.8.8.8 for a few hours and see if you get any drops or high latency. You could also run a speed test this way and get a true idea of the speed. (You will need an up to date computer to really see anything over 300Mb). Connection over WiFi can be affected by lots of variables.

Hi All...

Yeah, I got Eir to finally log a fault and promise to send out a technician.

That was 8 days ago and no sigh of him.

So rang this morning and guy said he'd escalate it.

I have switched back to the Eir router (over wifi to the TV) for now and am getting regular drops.. last night was about 8 stops while watchin Tv series..

Then, worse, two Teams calls with work dropped this morning.. which is a serious problem.

Wouldnt think its wifi, no interference anywhere and never had this problem when using Imagine.. so.. will see does this dude turn up.

urrgh... technician finally arrived last friday.. re-terminated the optical fiber..

Had streams resetting all weekend still...

I just dunno.. think I'll have to go back to Imagine'ary .. at least that didnt drop like this...

Advertisement