Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus routers and Eir FTTH combo

Options
  • 20-12-2022 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Is anyone else here using an Asus RT-AX86U or similar with Eir FTTH? I'm wondering if Eir have made some configurational change in the past week which could be disconnecting users of thirdparty routers.

Reasoning: I have been using the Asus for the past year without any problems, but last week suddenly it won't stay connected to the WAN for more than a second or two at a time. Have ruled out a hardware fault (have swapped out cables and routers - I keep spares of everything handy) and the Eircom-provided router (Sagemcom?) works fine. Nothing super helpful in the system logs either.

Would love to sanity-check settings with anyone who has this combination working successfully!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

I'm using a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X with Eir FTTH and have had no problems.

You've ruled out a hardware fault, but have you been able to confirm if there was any software change?

Any notification of a firmware update for the Asus? Are you running stock or OpenWRT?

If you check your settings, are you still using VLAN 10? Did you have to spoof the MAC address of your sagecom router?

Make sure neither of those settings got reset and give me some details of what you have set up.

I'm happy to check where the settings differ!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MsNK

Thanks for the reply!

No fw change. Just stock fw.

Have never had to spoof the MAC address in the past, so not currently doing that (are you?).

Will share settings shortly and we can see where there is divergence, thanks!

These are the settings that have been working for me over the past year with Eir. If anyone has more current info for FTTH customers that'd be really handy, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm using Asus router and have aimesh also - so 5 in total with Eir FTTH. I'm running Merlin firmware, and also using vlan10 on the wan port. I assume this is still required.

In recent weeks I've noticed an issue where there is a degradation of service which then leads to total outage. If I traceroute to say google, I see it hits 10.0.0.1 which I'm guessing is the OTN or whatever its called. I powercycle that, and everything comes back. Its been about 2 weeks since it last happened however.

I also don't use any of those settings posted above - never needed to. Its a router, not a modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm running an Asus router via different fibre provider and it's working fine. Is your VLAN set to 10?

• Advertisement

Yeah this was totally fine when I was with Pure Telecom. Heck, it was fine with Eir until a specific moment last week when it just started acting up. Quality of service from Eir really depends on who you get, most of them just hear "third party router" and shut down the conversation.

Edit - do have the VLAN 10 setting, see below,

May 5 06:06:39 pppd[1731]: Connected to 00:1a:f0:ad:1c:59 via interface vlan10

May 5 06:06:39 pppd[1731]: Connect: ppp0 <--> vlan10

May 5 06:06:42 pppd[1731]: peer from calling number 00:1A:F0:AD:1C:59 authorized

May 5 06:06:42 pppd[1731]: local IP address 86.45.19.199

May 5 06:06:42 pppd[1731]: remote IP address 95.45.12.1

May 5 06:06:42 pppd[1731]: primary  DNS address 159.134.0.1

May 5 06:06:42 pppd[1731]: secondary DNS address 159.134.0.2

May 5 06:06:42 miniupnpd[1649]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping

May 5 06:06:42 wan: finish adding multi routes

May 5 06:06:42 miniupnpd[1649]: shutting down MiniUPnPd

May 5 06:06:42 miniupnpd: it is advised to use network interface name instead of 192.168.50.1/255.255.255.0

May 5 06:06:42 miniupnpd[2141]: HTTP listening on port 60791

May 5 06:06:42 miniupnpd[2141]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351

May 5 06:06:43 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

May 5 06:06:45 pppd[1731]: Connection terminated.

May 5 06:06:45 pppd[1731]: Modem hangup

I am really curious if anyone has Eir FTTH specifically working with an ASUS router like the RT-AX86U or similar. I'm sure this is just a configurational change on Eir's side but they aren't equipped to troubleshoot problems like this on the support line unfortunately.

Post edited by MsNK on

If you wouldn't mind, could you scan through the settings I posted above and compare with your own router setup? Or post your router WAN settings and I dig through them.

Just curious if there's anything I'm missing.

I see you have it set for PPOE - but you don't require that, so change it to Automatic IP and leave pretty much the rest as default.

You don't need PPOE afaik from this setup, as you don't need a modem - thats being effectively handled by the OTN or ONT or whatever they call it.

May 5 06:06:42 miniupnpd[1649]: SendNATPMPPublicAddressChangeNotification: cannot get public IP address, stopping

That is suggesting a NAT issue - which you have set as symmetrical, change WAN connection to PPOE and go from there. If theres still an issue I'd have a look at the NAT settings.

Not to redirect you also - but https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-wireless.37/ has great info and support for the ASUS routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi.

I do use MAC spoofing because I have a static IP address which was tied to the address of my Eir router.

If I turn it off I get an address, but it's not the one I pay for if you know what I mean.

That said, I haven't tried it without spoofing in two years so wouldn't know if something changed last week.

It's an easy enough change to make on your router, so is a thing you could rule out.

I also need to use PPPoE to make my connection, but that could be to authorise my static address so I'm not quite equivalent.

I don't get my public IP address on the VLAN interface (eth1.10 in my case), but on the pppoe0 interface I run over it.

The ONT is, as @ondafly says, the modem and you could possibly connect your laptop directly to it so long as your ethernet port is VLAN aware.

All the ONT is doing is converting the fiber connection using light into an ethernet connection using electricity that your router can talk to.

I'd turn off two settings that you have listed above to see if it helps.

I really don't see how you're using the "Enable VPN + DHCP connection" with Eir, so turning it off might make the connection etablish more quickly and not timeout. That one I'd leave off.

The errors you listed come up while miniupnpd is mangling the link. Turn off UPNP support and see if it works again.

You might need to turn it back on depending on your requirements at home, but avoid it if you don't need it.

I'm zoning in on those because they are things that are just on by default, might not have had an impact in the past, and could respond badly to changes at Eir's end.

Wow you guys were exactly right. Switching PPPoE to Automatic solved the issue.

The frustrating thing is, some of those options like PPPoE only got enabled after speaking to Eir support. I think their script for "thirdparty modem use" needs updating for the FTTH era perhaps. In fairness though, even a factory reset and an "auto detect" on the WAN type misfires as well. So glad to be back up and running - thank you :)

• Advertisement

glad its back working. I do from time to time have intermittent issues, but I'm convinced at this point its related to Sky Q and their minis/wifi mesh system conflicting with the AImesh. Always resolves itself with a reboot but has become frequent in the last month or so, where I would normally go nearly a year without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭AntonP

Hi MsNK.

I've been trying a few days to setup the Asus but haven't found the right key. Tried almost everything.

Could you paste your current settings for WAN, Dual WAN and IPTV ?

Got one of the new routers with Duan Wan and seems it might be different... using latest Merlin.

@AntonP sure thing. My WAN settings are essentially as originally posted, except the WAN connection type is set to Automatic IP. Dual WAN is disabled, as with yours. IPTV is set to manual setting, internet VID of 10 (not sure if that is required, but I have it on there anyway). Been stable since that one fix the other day. Let me know if I can help, feel free to post all your WAN config and I can compare.

I think is the new models firmware not yet up to standard. Bought a managed switch and that is, by now, doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

I went through the steps here and a few other sources. I'm glad I found this discussion! But, I messed up something. After following the below steps, 1-2 devices got 500mbps+ internet, whereas the rest of my Wi-Fi devices had <1mbps internet. Web browsing was super fast on 1-2 devices and didn't work on smart speakers and other devices. The outcome surprised me. Maybe I did something wrong on the way.

I'm writing things down here. Could you please help me understand what are the steps involved?

Equipment:

1. EIR sagemon router F3000 Swan fibre box F5366s
    2. Asus Zenwifi ET12 Pro
    3. Huwaei ONT box

Steps I should do (and I did, approximately), in my understanding:

1. ONT output ethernet cable should become input to asus WAN port.
    2. asus settings: in WAN settings > internet connection tab> enable 802.1Q 'yes'.
    3. VLAN ID = 10
    4. 802.1P = 0. already was 0.
    5. MTU = 1500.
    6. No change to: WAN connection type is already 'automatic IP'. WAN, NAT, UPnP all enabled. connect to DNS server automatically. TTL value extend/spoof no. DHCP query frequency aggressive. host name blank. MAC address spoofing blank.
    7. This restarts the Asus router.
    8. Asus settings: in LAN settings > IPTV tab > select ISP profile = Manual Setting.
    9. Internet VID = 10. PRIO = 0.
    10. This restarts the Asus router.
    11. No other changes.
    12. No need to reboot ONT.

Other options I assume we do not do:

1. Not: Create a WAN profile in the WAN settings page -> internet connection tab. instead edit in the boxes directly.
    2. Not: edit the settings in LAN page -> VLAN tab.

At least for the GT-AX 11000 Pro, the VLAN 10 does work with the 10GB LAN port, not the 2.5 as you'd assume it would. That was the problem. Setting the IPTV and VLAN 10 makes the ASUS work directly connected to the ONT on the wall, never needed to power the pure telecom router and got rid of EIR's too. ONT to ASUS direct.

WAN

LAN

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭theluke79

Hi everyone,

ASUS XT9 ZenWifi running 3.0.0.4.388_23285.

EIR Fiber 1000/100, connected directly to the ONT on the 2.5G blue port of the Asus.

VLAN ID 10, Prio 0, PPPOE protocol.

If i switch from PPoE to Automatic, nothing works.

It is extremely difficult to get the router to connect, the error is very similar to the one of the OP.

I keep seeing PADO timeout in the logs, and the connection drops whenever I change almost any setting in the router, I believe that as soon as the router OS does ifdown/ifup on the WAN port, it crashes it.

The only way to reconnect it is to change the VLAN from 10 to another number, reboot, change it back again and it finally reconnects.

Is there an SHH command I can issue, if not a setting, that does the trick and males it easy to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

For an Asus Zenwifi AX XT8 the following settings are working for me connected to the NBI OTN box directly with an Eir Fiber account connected Dec 23.

And the VLAN

• Registered Users Posts: 23 knobtasticus

Not directly related to the queries in this thread but now that I’ve seen a bunch of screenshots from different people, I think it’s worth saying - y’all need to disable UPnP and leave it off. It’s a considerable security risk that far outweighs its benefits.

Disable it and just manually forward the ports for services you need. XBL/PSN are the services people most commonly need an open NAT for so just forward the ports specific for those services or place your consoles in a DMZ.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice...

I don't have playstation or xbox.. but i do have VPN for work.. would that need a specific port?

Nope, shouldn’t need any manual input on your end. UPnP facilitates incoming connections to devices on your network. You connecting to an external VPN - presumably hosted by your employer - isn’t affected by that.

Funny enough.. I notice that the Data light on the NBI box.. the OTN .. is flashin yellow rather than green with this Zenwifi in place..

Not sure what that signifies...

Anyone know where a manual for that box is available?

Well this bit of research was a PITA. So, I had never bothered to investigate because my house is wired for gigabit and my slightly older Orbi setup only has gigabit ports. My data light has always been green and I never considered the possibility that light is link speed sensitive. The Nokia ONT Openeir uses is actually 10G capable and that data light colour is ethernet speed between the ONT and your router.

Green - 1Gb, Yellow - 2.5G, Blue - 10G.

I remember on install day, that light was blue when the engineer had his handheld tester connected so that thing must be 10G. Makes sense - the DPs on the poles outside are also 10G capable. Future-proofed!

Thank you very much for doing the research there.

If it was a PITA I apologise, but I do really appreciate it cos I was thinkin my zenwifi was just too bloomin old and might need replacin.. but if its managing to keep a proper high speed connection then great.

Good to know also that we all might get 10G one of these years.

Advertisement