Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Port Tunnel air quality

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's even more of an issue for a fully loaded HGV, they take a lot longer to get up to speed. Not to mention the extra emissions generated when it has to start moving again especially when going into the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it's unlikely that people working one or two days a week blowing vast amounts of money on the tunnel toll is causing their congestion issues.

Considering it's the number of hgvs that caused the tunnel to be built in the first place and why they want to move the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

How many posting on this thread have actually been through the port tunnel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Apologies if this drags the thread off topic but I didn’t think it’d warrant starting a whole new one!

Does anyone know why the tunnel is closed so regularly? I go through it so infrequently I only recently realised it seems to close every single week 9:30pm-4:30am; some weeks twice, others 4 nights pw: https://dublintunnel.ie/tunnel-closures/

I had thought it was maintenance but surely not every single week and multiple times at that? Is staffing a problem perhaps?

It’s a real pain in the ass for the irregular occasions my wife or I are coming home from the city via the Swords Express bus as it uses the tunnel (thus the more expensive fee, plus it’s a coach); even though the drivers know it’s closed they’re still obligated to go all the way down the quays to the 3 arena to pick up before then meandering to Swords via Clontarf etc. We’re both in town tomorrow night and will likely get the rattley 41c back instead as a result ☹️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Maintenance on the tunnel might be a pain but on the 25th anniversary of the Mont Blanc tunnel where people perished in temperatures of 1000c it might be reassuring that they are spending time and money keeping the tunnel safe. Aparantly a lot of regulations for Tunnels came out of the aftermath of that accident and those systems need to maintained and tested.

That's not really an answer.

That's a lot of closures with no reason given.

I say this as I sit waiting for a train that's not appeared and no way of finding out why it's late, missing, nothing. They made a single announcement in 30 mins and didn't repeat it.

Just an abysmal level of customer communication in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

Yes, no issue with proactive maintenance, I just can’t understand why it’s required multiple times every single week though!

Advertisement