Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

My reply was posted before the video was posted and i hope you didnot take a day off work in order to reply to my post

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

My reply was posted before the video was posted and i hope you didnot take a day off work in order to reply to my post

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Baseball72

Some years ago whilst commuting from Wexford to South Dublin, a motorist overtook me, and several cars, crossing a continuous white line (before the M11 was opened). I made a mental note of the reg plate and caught a glimpse of the driver from my rearview mirror as he overtook.

He then overtook more cars in front of us, just about avoiding some oncoming cars from the Dublin direction. About an hour later I came across the vehicle in South Dublin, stopped at a junction. I wrote down the number, and make of the car and could see the driver quite clearly.

When I got to the office later that morning, I wrote (e-mailed I think) the Guards with details. A few days later, I was contacted by the Guards and was asked to make a statement - which I did at my local station. A few months later, the station nearest the incident phoned and asked would I go to court if need be - I said yes. Maybe a week or two later, a sergeant phoned to say the motorist had pleaded guilty and was fined. No need to attend court. Hopefully, I did the guy a favour that morning - and also fellow motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

You can also see pedestrians on the path with no barrier between the road and them while he's shooting up the hard shoulder inside the OP.

Absolutely criminal driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Jesus.

OP, please report this. Thankfully, an accident didn't happen this time and no one was hurt, but who knows next time this lunatic could end up killing some innocent person who is just going about their day.

Please don't let this go when you have the evidence right here to do something about it.

You know it's the right thing to do. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8 student022

Thanks for the replies.

I decided to go into my local station to give a statement.

The guard said they could either call around to the driver and issue them a warning or take a statement from both of us and it would be referred to a superintendent and may be heard in court.

I sent on the footage so hopefully something will come of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"the station nearest the incident phoned and asked would I go to court if need be"

i was once told by a garda that this is often key - if the offender is put on notice that someone else is willing to stand up in court and testify, the judge won't dismiss that easily and the easiest course then becomes to take the offence on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

In the UK you simply upload the coverage to the Nextbase police portal and action is taken with no requirement to go to court is the coverage is good enough.

Over 100,000 uploaded last year and 70% had action taken.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/30/rise-in-dashcam-submissions-leads-to-more-dangerous-drivers-being-caught

A similar scheme is needed here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in the post i was quoting, there was no camera footage (though i appreciate you may not have been addressing my post)

they decided to introduce a portal here for drivers to upload footage - and then announced that the driver would still have to attend a garda station to make a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

issue them a warning

That's not good enough. Legal system here favours assholes like the guy in the footage.

That being said you didn't post the lead up to the event on youtube, he could argue you were doing the same thing only 30 secs before

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

As already said, even if the OP was doing the same or worse, it does not diminish the dangerous/careless driving in the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's crazy stuff. There is no justification for the behaviour of the driver on camera..The Garda saying they may just warn the driver is also crazy. With video evidence showing multiple examples of poor driving, that should be a day in court. Some Garda just don't want to do the policing part of their job.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

At a time when our road deaths are at a 10 year high I find anyone saying there's nothing to see here and it happens every day is in denial! This is exactly the kind of behaviour that's causing accidents and deaths.

That maneuver looks incredibly dangerous and puts so many other lives at risk. It is a very busy road. I'd have no hesitation in sending that clip on to the Garda Traffic Corps .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I agree with you, but the p!sstake legal system we have in this country doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's no channel to report issues like this to the Roads Policing Unit (as the Traffic Corps are now known).

If you want to report it, you can use the Garda Trafficwatch phone line, or report it to the station where the incident occurred. It gets allocated at the local station, sometimes to a Roads Policing garda or sometimes to a front line garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The guy driving the Qashqai looks like he is wearing a garda jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭andrewk08

You got the right Garda. Last Thursday on M2 at ashbourne, a car overtook me at 150kph (approx) during snow/slush conditions, then tailgated a van who was caught behind HGV, followed by another dangerous overtaking.

He was again stuck behind HGV on ashbourne turn off so I beeped him as i passed. He came back on motorway to pursue me and attempted to run me off the road which I only avoided by going into the hard shoulder.

The Guards (there were 5 in front office) gave me cock and bull story, "Oh there's a car up there now", without asking where he went. I gave the cars reg but they didn't take my contact details, at which point I realised that they were just trying to get rid of me.

I see life threatening dangerous driving at least once a week and the reality is that there is almost no enforcement and lots of avoidable deaths.

Advertisement