Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous driving

Options
  • 16-01-2024 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Yesterday I was driving along a bypass when a car overtook me on a continuous white line.

In hindsight this wasn’t a good idea, but I sounded my horn once as I was taught the horn can be sounded to alert other road users to your presence and danger.

Whether I was right or wrong to do that, the driver gets terribly aggravated altogether and slams on his breaks causing me to brake suddenly. The driver moves into the hard shoulder and tries to intimidate me to pull over,

I drive on. The driver tries to overtake me again on the hard shoulder getting very close to my bumper. At one point we are side by side on the hard shoulder.

What are your thoughts based on the footage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It's brake, not break.

Have you posted footage somewehere, so we can see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm sure the other driver was well aware of your presence and the potential danger, so there was absolutely no need to sound the horn in those circumstances, regardless of how tempting it might have been.

Plus, people who engage in this kind of behaviour usually don't react kindly to any kind of reaction, be it sounding the horn, flashing your lights or hand gestures.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Not really much point in beeping your horn at a muppet like that OP. They're unlikely to reconsider their life choices due to someone beeping at them. Just let them go and move on with your life.

If it's an incredibly dangerous maneuver you could always post the dashcam footage on twitter and tag @GardaTraffic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I cant see any footage, but based on what you've said the other driver was completely in the wrong on both fronts.

Firstly - on the overtake. There is no debating that one.

And second - on the aggressive reaction.

I dont see any issue with you beeping the horn.

My own view on this - is that driving seems to have become, and I'm using the phrase paradoxically.....a 'safe space' for those who want to vent their anger and engage in law breaking. That is to say, there is seldom any consequence for people who routinely break the law on the roads - and then when dude does see a consequence, i.e. you beeping the horn - he raise the ante by acting aggressively.

Doesnt matter that he was in the wrong. He wants to win the argument. And again, there is no consequence for him here when he does react aggressively.

If he behaved like that in a pub he'd be thrown out. But somehow on the roads its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 student022

https://

youtube.com

/@Irishdriver01?

si=9m1zt9q1fymAUzyJ

just look up Irishdriver01 on YouTube

so I can’t post links because of my account, but I’ve uploaded the footage to YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 student022

Doesnt justify this sort of reaction from him, and he shouldn’t be on the road evidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Overtaking on continuous white lines is very common here. I do not exceed the speed limit and the roads locally generally allow maximum legal speed, so I don't hang around dawdling at under the limit either.

People overtake on unbroken whites all the time. Whether due to lack of knowledge or not caring I don't know, but it happens as a matter of course.

I never use the horn under these circumstances, the maneuver has been completed so the horn will not warn and it shouldn't be needed to let the other driver know you are there if he has passed you.

The safe "workaround" is maybe a tad unusual for a few I meet on the road, but pay frequent attention as to what is coming in the rear view mirror and leave plenty of space between yourself and the car in front so that the reason for the unbroken line does not hit the offender when he has no space to drop into.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Check out 30 seconds in that second video, he tries to overtake the OP and then narrowly misses an oncoming car in the opposite direction.

Absolute lunatic. 171D10097. Should be reported to the Gardai before he kills someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fairly crazy driving by the other guy, particularly the attempted overtake/undertake - very dangerous.

It would be good to see the original overtake for completeness, but there's no excuse for that kind of aggressive driving.

You should report it to Gardai via TrafficWatch and give them the video footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

In the (very remote) scenario where the Gardai do anything about it they will want to see the video of the whole incident from before the car approached you to make sure it wasn't a 2-way road rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I drive for a living and between working and commuting, I probably spend over sixty hours a week on the road. Pretty much every time I see someone doing something stupid or dangerous, they're doing it in a Nissan Qashqai.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I did a 25-30 minute trip on the M50 at the weekend, southside to north.

You'd usually see one feckin stupid driver making a feckin stupid manoeuvre like this on that trip.

This weekend, I swear I saw five or six feckin stupid drivers making feckin stupid manoeuvres like this, drivers cutting in to non-existent gaps, drivers pulling from the outside lane across three lanes to get to the slip lane, drivers doing Frogger-like in-and-out overtakes repeatedly. Truly crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

You should report that to the Gardai, absolutely mental stuff no matter what happened beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

OP I've experienced this exact situation before, I don't want to defend this person's actions at all but I do believe your use of the horn here is unwarranted as the person overtaking you is clearly aware of you (hence the overtake) and would be right in assuming that you are then only beeping out of anger/frustration at the illegal manoeuvre, the other driver took major offence which lead to the deranged actions that followed.

What followed is not your fault of course, there is no excuse for the drivers erratic behaviour and this person is clearly mad but you have to accept that you could have just let them go and avoided this situation entirely. Laying on the horn in Ireland should generally only be used to alert someone to a hazard or potential hazard (a light 'bip' might be used in a town to say hello but that's not what we're talking about here). In this context it's the equivalent of a middle-finger. I'd recommend you report this to the Gardaí and then try to put this behind you and take this as a lesson that antagonising someone on the road, even if they're completely in the wrong, is not worth it. You don't know what the mental state of the other driver is and you both have the very real capacity to kill or seriously maim each other and/or drivers when driving a car.

It's not worth your life or car to police the roads yourself, there's plenty of more headcases out there like the guy in the video that will take it very personally. If someone blasts passed you dangerously, or is drinking drunk, or just being an asshole, the best solution for your own safety is to slow down, let them pass, record their actions and their registration, and report it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ime TrafficWatch and AGS will take it seriously with reasonably conclusive dashcam footage showing erratic driving. Of course that would constitute dangerous driving for most of us but probably only a careless driving charge ultimately. They'll require you to promise to go to court to give evidence if it comes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 XT1200

Why come on here looking for advise. If you are that concerned take the video to your local Garda station or report the incident to Roads Policing Unit of An Garda Síochána. Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do you have video of the original overtake where he crossed a solid white line?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not at all. The driving shown is sufficient for dangerous/careless driving, irrespective of what preceded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

That lunatic needs to be removed from the road. Brake check, common enough crap. The very poor attempt of overtake, common enough. The undertake on the hard shoulder in inexcusable. Given the low sun, the visibility was poor, could have been anyone walking or a car stopped. I don't think the gardai will do anything if you report but that person will be a statistic very soon based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

Get A Dashcam and next time bring video to Garda Station

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This sort of driving is pretty common on our roads and I am sure occurs dozens of times a day in every part of the country, there's just so many people behind the wheel of a car who really shouldn't be allowed to drive a motor vehicle and in many cases are driving on suspended or non-existent licences, in cars with no NCT and the driver uninsured... and like in the OP's video they will have no second thoughts about pulling you out of your car and assaulting you or causing damage to your vehicle..

So the best advise is to avoid a confrontation with dangerous drivers like this, don't beep/flash or wave your fists at them unless you're willing to risk the potential consequences..

It's highly unlikely the Gards will do anything about this particular incident as it's far too mild for them to do anything further about it as you weren't phyiscally assaulted or your car damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭POBox19

A nasty incident to be involved in and thankfully it did not become worse. Good job with the dashcam. If you want the Gardai to do anything you must bring this to their attention otherwise nothing will be done and 171 D Qushqai can carry on driving like lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Agressive driving is common enough alright and the slamming on the brakes sometimes, but partially undertaking in the hard shoulder to intimidate someone? I've driven a lot of miles and have never even come close to anything like in that video

Like I said, it's mild! Drive on the roads long enough and you will see worse...

Didn't say the driving was mild, I said in the scale of things that will get the Garda attention then this incident is...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

I've been cycling into the city since 1997 and pretty much every time I see someone doing something stupid or dangerous, they are professional drivers. Taxis and delivery guys are the worst at taking sudden turns, making sudden stops and banging on the 'park anywhere' hazard lights.

• Advertisement

It is careless driving, if not dangerous driving. the gardai prosecute people for this all the time. with the footage this would be a very easy case to prosecute.

Advertisement