Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladiators

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I don't get how that random Wesley guy got to just take Finley's place. Surely it should have gone to the next quickest runner up!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

I agree, quickest runner up should have gotten the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought the same. So if someone else gets injured now another random person will get to the semis without having done the first 2 rounds? Not exactly fair.

Were they trying to confuse us this week by swapping the sides the gladiator and contender were on for Duel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I noticed this week on the eliminator that the contestant starting on the left hand side, ended up going up the travelator on the righthand side, which would mean that they are doing a slightly longer course than the other contestant. Maybe this has always been the case, but, hadn't noticed this before. Also can't understand how Wesley got in out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It always seems to me that whoever gets to the balance beem first gets sent to the furthest one from the zip lines

• Advertisement

For it to be fair, whoever starts on the left should finish on the left, otherwise they are at a disadvantage as they are doing a slightly longer course, in close finishes like tonight it can make the difference, it was probably the difference in the women's race and almost cost Wesley in the men's race, although Finley not doing the Gauntlet cost him in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

So close tonight in both Eliminators - very entertaining. I also don't understand how a random person could jump straight to the quarter final, but fair play to Wesley he was an incredible contestant. Why was he only a back up in the first place and not in the original heats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

They really need to tweak The Edge scoring for next year. 3 points per crossing is too much, especially if you can rack that up in 30 seconds even against a Gladiator. Australia made it only one point per crossing, with no limit.

Also, the Gauntlet really needs to be narrowed and lengthened, because it has been far too easy this year.

Quickest runner-up is already in the next round. Unless you mean the second-fastest runner-up?

First contender down the zip-line always takes the furthest away beam/travelator. Has always been the case, even in the original series. Generally it's done to avoid a crossover clash.

There's always a set of reserve contestants who are on call as injury replacements. You should have seen this year's Australian series — they had four reserves come in during their six heats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Enjoying the series but one bug bear is that i know the pick of gladiators for each game is random and the luck of the draw but it must be a real bummer for male contestants to see their opponent draw Viper in the one on one games, he's really poor. On the female side Athena doesn't seem to be up to much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Also what was the story with the gladiators during the second female contestants run in gauntlet? Had she slagged one of them off or something?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another cracking episode this week, both eliminators were terrifically tight.

So in the semis, they reduced Gauntlet's time limit to 20 seconds; and reduced The Edge to 2 points per crossing with a maximum of 10.

Still doesn't seem to have been enough though.

At least now it seemed like it was possible to lose in the gauntlet, as one guy nearly did.

Shame about Sabre since she and Fury seem to be the ones they rely on the most. Apparently she's the second injury with Comet being injured before, though think only saw Comet once or maybe twice,

I have to laugh at the facts they give about the gladiators and some of the comparisons. Like Athena can squat 150kg which is the same weight as a male ostrich. Because that's the first thing I think of when trying to think what would weigh 150kg as a comparison.

Comet had three appearances. Two Wall climbs, and one Hang Tough match. It was her dismount from Hang Tough where she had her injuries.

But yes, there's definitely been some Glads that have been used more than others:

Total events played: 9 Duel (2 glads), 8 Wall (2 glads), 7 Gauntlet (4 glads), 6 Edge (2 glads), 5 Ring (2 glads), 4 Powerball (3 glads), 3 Collision (4 glads), 3 Hang Tough (2 glads)

Men

• Apollo — 3 Ring, 3 Gauntlet, 3 Powerball, 3 Edge, 1 Collision, 3 Wall — 16 appearances
    • Bionic — 4 Duel, 2 Gauntlet, 1 Collision — 7 appearances
    • Giant — 5 Duel, 3 Collision, 5 Gauntlet, 2 Powerball — 15 appearances
    • Legend — 3 Collision, 3 Hang Tough, 6 Edge, 2 Wall, 1 Powerball, 2 Gauntlet — 17 appearances
    • Nitro — 3 Duel, 3 Hang Tough, 2 Powerball, 6 Wall, 1 Edge, 2 Gauntlet, 1 Ring — 18 appearances
    • Phantom — 3 Ring, 4 Gauntlet, 1 Powerball, 4 Duel, 1 Collision — 13 appearances
    • Steel — 1 Collision, 5 Gauntlet, 2 Powerball, 3 Wall, 2 Edge, 1 Duel, 2 Ring — 16 appearances
    • Viper — 2 Collision, 5 Gauntlet, 1 Duel, 2 Wall, 1 Ring, 1 Powerball — 12 appearances

Women

• Athena — 3 Collision, 6 Gauntlet, 1 Powerball, 1 Duel — 11 appearances
    • Comet — 2 Wall, 1 Hang Tough — 3 appearances
    • Diamond — 5 Duel, 5 Gauntlet, 4 Wall, 2 Edge, 1 Ring, 1 Collision — 18 appearances
    • Dynamite — 3 Collision, 1 Ring, 1 Powerball, 3 Duel, 3 Gauntlet, 2 Hang Tough, 3 Wall — 16 appearances
    • Electro — 3 Collision, 6 Gauntlet, 3 Wall, 1 Ring, 2 Powerball — 15 appearances
    • Fire — 4 Duel, 2 Collision, 5 Gauntlet, 3 Powerball, 1 Ring — 15 appearances
    • Fury — 1 Gauntlet, 1 Hang Tough, 4 Powerball, 5 Edge, 4 Ring, 2 Duel — 17 appearances
    • Sabre — 1 Ring, 2 Hang Tough, 1 Powerball, 5 Edge, 1 Ring, 4 Wall, 3 Duel, 2 Gauntlet — 19 appearances

I assume Ring is there twice for Sabre when one should be Gauntlet?

I think the reason Sabre and Fury seem more prominent is the higher number of one on one events like Hang Tough, The Wall, Edge and Duel. Didn't realise Diamond had so many appearances. Thought Dynamite had more. Especially considering Diamond is kinda hard to miss. And then Fury makes an impact in the events like The Ring and Powerball with her tackles.

For the men, Legend is probably the most memorable as he puts on a good show, while Viper would be second for all the wrong reasons. The rest pretty much blur into one.

So while the women have more memorable gladiators, the men have the better character.

I don't think the male gladiators all blur into one at all! I think they stand out much more individually than the women. I'd say this is all very dependent on your own personal perspective. I wouldn't be sure who is who with any of the females except Fury, whereas Phantom is the only male I can't picture just reading through the names.

I agree that Legend is the best character though.

Definitely missed it this week. I think the series has been a great success.

They have to be looking at doing a second season of it by now. This was filmed last June, so maybe season 2 will film this summer. Not sure why they have such a long gap then to airing. I'm no expert but it's not like there's loads of post production.

Not sure if they said yet, but what's the overall prize for the winners? More jeeps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Poor Chung. I really would have liked to see him win. Such a nice guy.

Yeah it was a disappointment as he seemed likeable.

This must've been recorded before the other semi final since Sabre was in it.

Marie Louise did really well and Kerry was unlucky.

• Advertisement

Gripping stuff again this week.

Real shame about Chung he would have burned his way through the eliminator I would have said! His leg looked in a really bad way. I don't see why Giant wasn't disqualified in duel?! I thought I had seen contenders disqualified for similar.

Kerry was unreal this week...until the travellator absolutely bonkers she looked absolutely gutted understandably.

I don't remember there being so many injuries and subs needed in the old show.

Great show, but it's such a shame about Chung. I think himself and Wesley have been the strongest contestants, so having to eliminate one of them this week was always going to be a loss. But sorry to see an injury be the cause.

I really felt for Kerry, but Marie Louise has been a great contestant too and also previously lost the Eliminator from a big lead.

It seems that the rule about touching the opponent's platform only applies to hands (well gloves) and feet. Giant only had one end of his pugil stick in contact. Makes sense that the stick wouldn't DQ you as just by the act of using it in combat it is likely to touch at some point. Definitely a spirit rule break, but not a technical rule break.

I thought it was because Giant basically dropped the stick on to the other platform (dropped one end anyway) and just leaned in and picked it up and carried on fighting. He was never leaning on it and using it as a balance, and he never touched the platform.

Woohoo!

And confirmed for another season.

The women's final was great, so close, delighted for Marie Louise, I thought Bronte was probably the stronger overall, but, fair play to Marie Louise great to have an Irish winner. Was glad Finlay won too, even though Wesley was a great contender, he came in at the quarter final stage, so think Finlay deserved it more, plus gained revenge for his quarter final defeat.

Hugely enjoyable series. Terrific TV.

Finlay an excellent winner...but I think Chung would have won it without that injury :(

Marie Louise terrific win.

Really enjoyable final. Happy Marie Louise won, but Bronte was fantastic and it was so close.

Finlay a well deserved winner tonight, he was much improved from his previous efforts.

Delighted there will be another series. Sad to see there's nothing decent taking its place in the meantime next week.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

Oh hey, the Beeb put up the Elims

• Advertisement

I see a lot complaining about Marie Louise jump starting and that it wasn't fair result, didn't notice that myself, but, looking at it again, she does move before the whistle, but, don't think she was on the mat before the whistle. She also had the longer route around having to go further to get to the zip wire which was a much bigger advantage to Bronte than Marie Louise's "jump start" was, yet no one pointed that out. Bronte also stopped at the travelator probably hoping Marie Louise would fall, that's really where she lost it.

Advertisement