Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gladiators

Options
  • 13-01-2024 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭

So Gladiators is back on our screens, first episode aired this evening on BBC1 at 5.50pm.

Just after watching it on the iplayer. My days the nostalgia! It was pretty decent to be fair. Bradley Walsh and his son are presenting, good bants between them.

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/mediapacks/meet-the-gladiators

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was a terrifically enjoyable first episode.

One criticism....Bradley Walsh is terrific...his son...a literal charisma vacuum, awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

contestants so much smaller then the gladiators

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Watched it too , loved it . As gmisk said , Bradley is a great presenter, good with the quips , the son not so much. Maybe he'll settle in as the series continues.

On the mens side definitely, but it isn't everything, some of the events like the ring and the bridge one not a bad thing being smaller.

I know my sister and her kids loved it too, perfect bit of Saturday night telly.

It seems a lot of people online not a fan of Barney either, he is just so bland, your right he might warm up.

Bradley Walsh and a fun female presenter would maybe work better if it is recommissioned...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Are the black gladiators still given names like Shadow??

the ring game isn't very good if they have to release them after 2 seconds from the same spot.

it seems very bruising for such a poor game

did they slow the travalator for the second guy

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I enjoyed it. It was fun to hear the old theme again, and I thought they did a good job recreating the feel of the original with the arena. It was a much better effort than what Sky managed when they attempted to revive it.

To play into the nostalgia a bit more, I would have liked to hear from some of the original Gladiators. Maybe have a 30 second feature of them introducing the events. Lightning introducing Hang Tough, and so on.

Biggest gripe as others mentioned was the hosts. Personally I've seen enough of Bradley Walsh, and I'm not keen on his son getting this gig either. Could they not have got a woman involved? Someone like Helen Skelton or Alex Scott would have been much better than Walsh Jnr.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Anyone else almost instinctively sing "another one bites the dust" as soon as a contestant went to ground?!

I didn't mind the presenters, Bradley's a pro. Couldn't even tell you the sons name.

My one gripe was Mark Clattenberg, he has to be putting on that accent with the "Fwreee Tuuuu Wonnn!" He's from up Newcastle direction and has Geordie accent. Whys he sounding Scottish all of a sudden.

But yeah, I'll tune in again next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just came across it when flicking through the channels, hats off to yer man who busted his knee and powered through despite the obvious pain.

There doesn't seem to be as much agro between the contestants and the gladiators as was in the original show.

Legend is funny,

but they make them do there signature move too often

they seem to have set up Giant as the new Hunter? the nice guy, even died his hair blonde https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_YzcekMao

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Wasn't this rebooted only ten years ago? Haven't seen it, any difference from this reboot to that one that will make it successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Watched the first episode only as a nostalgia hit (don't remember the other reboot) - won't bother watching anymore, just doesn't peak my interest like it would have all those years ago.

As for Barney - terrible host, Bradley knows the showbiz game, he doesn't and is a real put off - should have had a women co presenter

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I caught the end of this (just the Eliminator) last week by chance and it brought back fond memories of the original. Watched again tonight and loved it. Great Sat night TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had to support the Irish one tonight.

Jeepers I thought she had lost it at the travellator!

Another cracking episode.

Weakest game is gauntlet, I think pretty much everyone completes it? so kind of pointless.

Someone online said Barney had the look and personality of an AI generated estate agent...accurate... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah that Gauntlet is too easy unless get injured like the guy last week.

I'm not someone to get worked up watching things like this but surely I wasn't the only one telling her to keep going after she knocked the gladiator off.

So Viper trying to be the new Wolf, though Legend is obviously going for the heel persona as well.

Big question is who is the new Jet. 😁

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's because they're letting them push through on the sides, the original gauntlet was much more difficult as the contenders weren't allowed to use their hands on the sides to give them an extra bit of leverage to wriggle through. The second lad just stuck to the side and pushed himself through the four zones, nothing the gladiators could really do. The zones were a bit longer too. I like the update to the Edge though it's more entertaining than the older hand bicycle way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed on above. Really enjoying it but Gauntlet far too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ring annoys me.

If a Gladiator takes an opponent down they have to leave go after 3 seconds - It really should be if they can hold them for 3 seconds the Contender has to go back to the outer circle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I think it's improved each week, the women's eliminator was very exciting tonight, very little in it. The Gladiators also seem to have settled in and improved since the first episode. It's actually quite entertaining and a change for all the talent shows that are usually on, on Saturday evenings.

Viper is definitely the worst Gladiator ever, doesn't even look the part, looks small and weak, plus his attempts at being the villain have been pathetic. Diamond is the worst of the female Gladiators, don't recall her beating any contenders yet when one on one, she's 6ft so size definitely not her problem, she just doesn't seem to know how to use her size to her advantage.

Sabre and Fury seem to be the two female Gladiators being pushed to be the new Jet, but, Comet is probably more similar to Jet, she's elegant and graceful like Jet, but she seems to have been used sparingly so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭animalinside

I think a lot of people were hoping that the original woman presenter would return and handing it to Bradley Walsh was seen as a very controversial move, aside from his son turning out to be a flop. It makes sense to me the original woman or at least someone who is athletic should return to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Yeah, Viper's villain act is silly. I enjoy Legends's narcissistic humour though. He's a funny guy.

Good episode so far tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

was just going to say hope she doesn't make a balls of it on the eliminator!!

Is that Yorkshire guy 57?!

I need to get off the couch! 🤣

That girl from belfast no idea how she lost that one with that big advantage at start!

Nice to see some smaller fellas on this week though the ring event was odd they were getting carried about like babies lol yeah I would have guessed 30s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well my excuse is if we all got off the couch who would be there to watch the programme 🤔

Advertisement