Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

240v shaver socket

Options
  • 13-01-2024 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

the socket in my bathroom is 240v, and I want to plug in a 250v device, is there any way to convert the socket to a 250v one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Delta Lima

As long as your device is rated less than 20 Watts, there shouldn't be a problem.

Shaver sockets have little isolating transformers that can't supply heavier loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

If it's hundreds of watts then a shaver socket will not supply enough power to it. Under law Irish bathrooms dont have power sockets to reduce accidental electrocution like people using hair dryers in a soaking wet bathrooms.

So I would not recommend using an extension lead either. If the device came with a 2 pin European type plug it's likely to have not been sold in Ireland as it should have had a 3 pin uk plug.

I would be very hesitant hopping in a bath with dodgy Chinese electronics. Worst case is electrocution and the risk of which is much higher in a wet environment.

Advertisement