Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bath spa

Options
  • 08-01-2024 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I recently bought a bath spa mat and found it was 250v. In my bathroom the socket is only 240v is there any way to make it work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's normal, it's the rating for the device so will work fine off 235/240v AC.

Just be careful if it's from a low-cost or export site as some required safety devices may not be fitted or the device may not be EC approved. It should be operated off a circuit protected using an RCD at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Irish (and all EU) electricity is delivered at 230V 50Hz.

I assume you’re reading 250V written on a plug, which is just the maximum rated voltage for the plug itself. All plugs sold in countries using 220-230V are rated to carry up to 250V. The actual voltage required is usually printed on a label on the appliance.

Based on what I googled, a bath spa mat is a an up to 500W bubble generator. Irish shaver sockets contain an isolating transformer and will limit the flow at less than 200mA. Typically they will cut the supply if you exceed barely 46 watts and often significantly lower than that. They’re designed to power a toothbrush charger or an electric shaver, not an a serious appliance.

Using an appliance in your bathtub here isn’t permitted. There’s a reason why there are no sockets in bathrooms and it’s because there’s a serious risk of shock. You’d be relying on nothing but an 30mA RCD.

I assume this is a non CE approved import eg directly imported from China, as I don’t think those devices meet EU regs.

I wouldn’t suggest using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭monseiur

To comply with regulations re. electrical appliances in the bathroom etc. get yourself a unit with a long air hose & remote control - something like the Medisana one. It comes with a 2.5m hose. You may need to get an extra hose & join them. Place the compressor unit outside bathroom door, drill a small hole in bottom panel of door, feed air hose thru to mat. You can operate unit remotely-depending on density of door you may have to install a tiny glass/plastic panel in door, it must align with panel on air compressor.

Advertisement