Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treaty United 2024

Options
  • 12-01-2024 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭

LOI First Division football is not too far away now, so time to get this thread up and running.

We ended 2023 outside the playoffs and had clearly regressed in terms of the quality of the squad, but the season ended on something of a high with the news of a takeover by a Candadian consortium.

To be honest, there's not much evidence of any spending by them, and not on the men's squad anyway.

In the off season, we lost Marc Ludden to retirement and Success Edogun to Finn Harps, and both will be big losses. We've brought in Yoyo Mahdy and we've held onto Enda Curran, and Callum McNamara returns from Galway. I think we've held on to most of those we'd have wanted to, but others may point one or two we've lost.

We started our competitive season tonight with a 2-0 win away to Carrigaline United. Enda Curran got the first and debutant David Tarmey added the second.

The season starts at home to Cobh Ramblers on Friday February 16 at 7.45pm, and we're away to UCD the following week.

There's a full set of fixtures here: https://d33kuhj6eu7i5b.cloudfront.net/1517/0263/4010/2024_SSE_Airtricity_Mens_First_Division_-_FINAL.pdf

If you are looking for club mechandise, you can do so here: https://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/soccer/soccer-clubs/treaty-united-fc.html

You can pick up season tickets - It's €180 for an adult non-member for the men's games only, or €225 for men and women's teams. You can become a member for €199. I'm not sure if that includes a season ticket as the price isn't all that different and you also get a shirt and other perks, but maybe it's just a good deal.

Info for both is available here: : https://treatyunitedfc.com/tickets/

If, like me, you're watching forlornly from afar, the LOI pass is good value, at €120 for every game for all teams: https://www.loitv.ie/en-int/page/season-pass-1

It'll also be possible to buy individual match passes. Last year these were €5 per match, hopefully it stays at that price.

Hon the Treaty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Treaty lost 2-0 at home to Galway in a pre-season friendly yesterday afternoon.

We fielded a team of mostly young lads and a couple of trialists. Galway hada penalty saved by the 17 year old Treaty keeper Michael Dike, but did go ahead just before the break, and added another in the second half.

Hoepfully an injury-free match that boosts fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any changes or improvements for Markets field?

None to the best of my knowledge, which is limited.

I also forgot to mention that we lost a friendly to Shamrock Rovers a few days ago. Lost 2-1, with Curran scoring for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

On a different note I see Kerry FC Legends played Kerry GAA legends in Mounthawk in Tralee last night for charity which drew a big crowd many of whom were probably never at Mounthawk .

it would be a novel idea if Treaty legends played a Limerick GAA legends for charity at some juncture to publicise Treaty and get some new supporters to markets field . Be a bit of fun to see Aaron Gillan, cian Lynch and others playing ball .

Munster Senior Cup Quarter-final:

Treaty 7-0 Midleton

This wasn't on my radar and am only noticing it a few days later, but we cruised into the semi-finals.

Highlights available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dQDblChN-M

Nice to see the team in goal-scoring form, no matter how weak the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭YTM

See it was announced that Treaty will be changing the colour of their home kits to blue for this season. Kit will be unveiled tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's a pity. Bored with the same old cycle of slowly reverting to Limerick FC before going bankrupt again and starting over.

The red and white stripes looked much much better.

Do I get a refund on the red merchandise I bought to support the team at matches 🤣

Thankfully I think I still have a Limerick 37 scarf around somewhere.

I loved the "Atletico Madrid" style kits but maybe blue with red and white stripes was a bit too USA for our new Canadian overlords.

Went from looking like Atletico Madrid to Rangers FC.

• Advertisement

No issues with the switch to blue but that kit is rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Publicity seems to be working. Biggest crowd in a while. Half time 1- 0 up and could have had a few more.

Treaty 3-1 Cobh Ramblers

(Own goal, Considine x 2)

Super start to the season in front of more than 1900 people tonight, in which we were the better team all night long, and should have won by more.

We started well and could have gone ahead before we did, when Willie Armshaw wriggled a yard of space and flashed a shot across goal, but we did go ahead when a Cobh player trying to head clear long throw into the box only succeeded in looping the ball back over his keeper and in off the far post. We missed chances to go further ahead when Lee Devitt shot tamely after making space, and again when Armshaw stepped over a low ball into the box to give Enda Curran a shot, but the keeper made a fine save.

We missed an even better chance early in the first half when Thomas Considine somehow fired wide when trying to tap in at the far post from a Curran centre, and that was punished when former Limerick player Matt McKevitt crashed home a powerful header from a lovely inswinging cross just a few minutes later. It wasn't level for long, as Considine atoned for his earlier miss when he stepped inside the defender and curled in a bealutiful left-foot shot into the bottom left corner from the edge of the area.

Cobh pressed and had a few dangerous balls into the box, while we missed chances to put the game to bed, the most memorable of which was Enda Curran glancing wide after a beautiful Fionn Doherty floated cross. And with just a one goal lead, there was always the danger that Cobh would snatch an undeserved equaliser. But Considine put the game to bed 5 minutes from time with an almost carbon copy of his first goal, albeit about 8 yards closer to goal, when he calmly beat a defender and placed it in the bottom corner.

We had Corey Chambers to thank for a super save from a deflected shot right at the end, but we saw it out for a fantastic result in front of a buzzing crowd. It was great to be there in person.

Next game: Away to UCD, Friday February 23rd, 7.45pm.

Post edited by osarusan on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Higher attendances across the board in fairness. Not just a Treaty United increased publicity thing.

There has been a trend developing for a while now to experience and cherish "a real experience".

It has been happening in England for a while now most notably with the likes of FCUM and Dulwich Hamlets.

Always felt that Treaty would eventually come good last night as they were the better team but I would be a bit worried about our defence if that is them at their best rather than a blip or early season rustiness.

UCD 0-1 Treaty

(Curran)

Super win away to a UCD side that are never weak in the first divison, and that win puts us top of the table with 6 points after 2 games.

We were the better team for most of the game, on a dreadful pitch that was bumpy and sandy after a rugby match. We had some decent chances in the first half, and a serious claim for a penalty, but it was UCD who probably came closest to scoring with a lovely volley that skimmed the crossbar just before half time.

We did get a penalty about 15 minutes into the second half, but Curran wenst straight down thge middle and the diving UCD keeper managed to keep it out with his legs. Curran atoned for his error not too long later, when the UCD defence completely failed to deal with a long ball down the pitch from goalkeeper Cory Chambers, and Curran took advantage to put the ball away.

UCD pressed late on but never created anything really clear cut, and we held on comfortably enough. Next week should see us stay top as well.

Next game: Away to Kerry, Friday March 1st, 7.45pm

Apologies, I said the next game was at home but it's away. Post edited now.

Treaty women's team have signed a Japanese footballer called Ayaka Ikeza. Not something I'd normally highlight, but given my own connection with Japan (see the username), quite exciting for me. I'll try to get to a game sometime and shout some encouragement in Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

Bringing the kids to the Bray match next Friday can you pay at the entrance on the night or should i book online?

Not sure if you can pay on the gate but whether you can or not don't bother. Online tickets are so easy with Treaty so just get those for ease of mind.

• Advertisement

Kerry 0-1 Treaty

(Mahdy)

3 wins in 3 games after a really hardfought game in Kerry.

We could have been ahead after only 15 seconds when a flicked on header sent a Treaty player in (Colin Conroy I think) behind the defence but the Kerry keeper made a super block. We probably had the better of most of the first half, and came close again from a thunderous Curran freekick and a Devitt shot, but Kerry came back into it and came very close late on with a couple of lovely passing moves, forcing a great save from Chambers and crashing the ball against the crossbar.

The almost scored right at the start of the second half, with a last-ditch goalline block from Oisin O Reilly needed to prevent a tap in. We went ahead after a real scramble with the ball bobbling around the box. It was recycled into the area, and Davitt scooped shot over his shoulded looped onto the crossbar, with Yoyo Mahdy reacting first to sweep it into the net. Kerry had the ball in the net after a shot off the post, but the offside flag was up. We also lost Cory Chamber to injury, with U-20s keeper Mickael Dike coming on to repace him.

We looked like we'd deen it out comfortably enough, but the biggest drama was still to come. Imn the 95th and final minute, a rush of blood from sub keeper Dike saw him advance and bring down a Kerry player when he should have stayed back, but the Kerry penalty taker blasted the ball well over the bar and that was literally the last kick of the fame.

It was scarcely deserved against a Kerry team that are unrecognisable from last year, but on we go. The only team in LOI with a perfect record.

Next game: home versus Bray, Friday March 8th, 7.45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

Cheers.

Having trouble buying tickets on the Treaty website atm I'll keep trying thanks a million.

Highlights of the Kerry game here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6mAiMBP0-4

Apologies all, I forget that there was a match tonight, which was the Munster Senior Cup Semi-Final:

Kerry 4-1 Treaty

(Byrne)

Pretty much a second-string team exited the MSC in Kerry tonight.

Just going by Twitter reports, Kerry were well worth the win. The were ahead early, and though new signing Mark Byrne equalised, two quick goals before the break left it 3-1 at HT, and they added another in the second half.

The starting 11 had an average age of 20.6 years, and we threw on more youngsters during the game, so that's hopefully some valuable minutes for them, but still disappointing to get knocked out.

Next game: home versus Bray, Friday March 8th, 7.45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

I get using the opportunity to give gametime to lads who likely won't see much during the season, but a cup final would have been a decent day out for supporters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Hopefully a good crowd at the Markets Filed tonight

Treaty 2-2 Bray

(Walsh, Considine)

A real game of two halves tonight, and despite leading 2-0 at halftime, were were fortunate to pick up a point.

We started strongly and were ahead almost immediately. Willie Armshaw whipped in a corner and after it was glanced on, Mark Walsh collected to crash a header home. We had chances, Bray had chances, the best of which was a player hitting the post when it seemed easier to score, and we went 2-0 up when Considine fired a low ball across the box and it was nudged into the net by a Bray defender. Look like an own goal to me, but Considine seems to have been given it. We could have had a third when another Armshaw corner came off the post, but it was still looking good at halftime.

Right from the start of the second half, we were off the pace, and stopped passing, stopped pressing, just stopped playing. We gave away terrritory and just invited Bray onto us, and we paid the price for it. It took long enough, and we even gave them a helping hand when Stephen Cristopher needlessly brought down a Bray player for a penalty which was converted. 10 minutes later a low ball across the box was turned home and we were all square. It became quite end to end after that as Treaty finally woke up a bit, but Bray were still more dangerous, and when they took a quick free kick to send a player in behind the defence, we needed a super save by Chambers to keep it level right at the death.

2179 in attendance, just a shame about the second half. Still, top of the table.

Next game: away to Longford, Saturday March 16, 7.30pm.

Oops, because last weekend's game was cancelled, I completely forgot to mention that Treaty are at home tonight against Cork City, 7.45pm kickoff as usual.

Didn't see the game but a draw against Cork sounds like a promising result.

• Advertisement

Treaty 0-0 Cork

Few enough chances in this solid draw last night in front of more than 3000 people, albeit sullied by a very late red card.

Cork probably had more of the ball and played more football with it, but apart from a couple of shots that tested Chambers, I don't think they had a real chance all night. We played more on the counter, and created very little ourselves, with a blocked Curran shot in the first half the best we created.

Very late on, Lee Devitt (who had already been booked) slid in to get to a ball well before a Cork player, but he then slid into and right through him.

It could have been anything from a straight red to a fair tackle, but the ref went for the straight red, and Chambers picked up a booking too in the melee afterwards.

Still, a very solid performance against a side that are obvious favourites to top the table at the end of the season. We are in second place, 3 points behind Cork, but with a game in hand. 3rd placed Finn Harps visit Limerick next weekend.

Next game: Home versus Finn Harps, Friday March 29, 7.45pm

Advertisement