Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexism in Ireland

Options
  • 11-01-2024 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I'm Irish. I grew up in Ireland. Then I lived in the UK for many years, then I lived in France for some time.

I moved back to Ireland a year ago, as on of my elderly parents is sick.

I can't get over the level of sexism in Ireland.

When I was in England, men there would talk to me about news, education, current affairs. They were able to have a polite conversation with me.

I came back to Ireland, and the men here talk to me like I'm an animal. It's shocking

I remember it being bad in Ireland when I was younger. But how can it still be this bad now in 2023?

I was used to being talked to with respect in the UK. I was used to men being able to have a polite conversation with me.

Here in Ireland, the men either sneer and laugh at me, call me stupid, or talk to me about sex.

It's so bad! Why is there such a lack of respect for women in Ireland ?

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Is there?

I hadn't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think the issue is the type of men you're talking to

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chacha11

I disagree. I think that Ireland has a particularly big problem with sexism. That stems from historical factors. It is not long ago that the catholic church had a lot of power in Ireland. And the catholic church told everyone that men were better than women. That has led to a disrespect of women in Ireland that is not seen in other western Europen countries.

We are just this year debating the "women in the home" article in the irish constitution!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You aren't a people person I suspect, step out of your niche world, move in different circles, change yourself and your acquaintances.

I've literally written that I've lived in three different countries and talked to loads of different people , yet you want me to move in different circles and chance aquaintances . Right that makes sense.

What is your opinion on sexism in Ireland,?

• Advertisement

You haven't noticed the many news news reports about sexual abuse against in Ireland?

You haven't noticed that in 2024 we are only now debating the part about "women in the home" in the Irish constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

France has a far worse reputation than us, Italy too. Cat calling in both countries is a national pass time. It’s strange that both countries are considered more ‘romantic and passionate’ than here.

Do you have any suggestions on how Ireland can do better? What are your thoughts about sexism in Ireland?

I have to say from travelling round, I think that Ireland is seen as doing economically well, but it also seen as very behind the times with sexism and womens rights in 2024. Ireland is seen as a sexist old fashioned country by a lot of other countries.

Our countries constitution was developed with the catholic church and our own constitution is sexist.

Politico.eu online has this to say about Ireland

"A referendum will modernize Ireland’s conservative Catholic constitution to remove sexist language on women as housewives.

The Irish government on Tuesday announced long-awaited plans to drop the sexism from Ireland’s constitution.

When Irish leader Eamon de Valera drafted that 1937 constitution in close consultation with the Roman Catholic hierarchy, he sought to shape a nation."

Ireland has been gradually digging itself out of Dev’s conservative Catholic vision of the country by amending that constitution repeatedly —

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

If it were the Scandinavian nations or somewhere like Germany or the Netherlands then there might be a debate to be had, but compared to the UK or France? Not really.

As for religion, you could argue that Catholicism is slightly more sexist than other forms of Christianity found around Europe but then the biggest legacy of abuse by the Catholic church was aimed mainly at boys. Take from that what you will.

Care to contribute anything intelligent? Go on. You can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You think... It's seen...

Is seen by whom? You can think what you like but, having travelled extensively myself, I see Ireland no worse, and often better, than other countries in this regard. You're mixing with the wrong people.

You said im "Mixing with the wrong people". What does that even mean. What exactly do you mean by that? I know people from different groups.

Do you want me to only hang around with well educated men for example?

Well educated men with good jobs are not angels. Theu can also be extremely sexist.

I've heard some of the worst sexist remarks , truly disgusting comments, come out of the mouths of very well educated men in Ireland.

Two of the most sexist men I've ever met in Ireland had masters degrees and extremely good jobs. They said absolutely disgustinf things.

Am education doesn't change people's personalities.

So what do you mean that I'm hanging out with the wrong people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭nachouser

I think you all have lovely bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I never mentioned educational achievement. I meant their attitudes. Hang out with decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

"men here talk to me like I'm an animal"

Sorry love. You need to take a look at yourself, and ask why people are talking to you like that.

Are you male? First of all.

I've lived in the UK and I've lived in Ireland. The UK is far far less sexist in my opinion.

I was chatting to a woman in the UK and she was saying how she would never come back to Ireland. As it is too sexist in Ireland..

I've only been back in Ireland for a year and already I'm feeling like I can't stick it here.

The level of sexism is unreal. If you are male you don't see it.

I really feel like I'm talked to like a sub human in Ireland. I was not talked to like that in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The woman in the home thing is just a legacy clean up , and the church affects nobody anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I hear ya. Even a lot of the responses here are telling.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

OP I've never lived in the UK but I visit it a couple of times a year. I have an Irish friend who has been living in the UK for 20 years and says Englishmen are very rude to women. My best friend who is a woman lived there for 5 years and visits a lot as she has family there. I showed her your post and she disagrees completely. She says she gets far more respect from irish men than English men. She feels far more comfortable going on a night out here than the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭Deeec

I'm a woman and I completely disagree with you. I agree with others that you may be talking to the wrong type of men or having the wrong type of conversation. Perhaps you are a bit on the sensitive side - that's not meant as an insult.

Can you give examples of times when you have been offended.

Yes that's so true. I have not seen one male poster yet say that "yes there may be sexism in ireland and yes it needs to improve".

Or even say "we are open to hear about your experiences".

The responses I've gotten so far, while not aggressive, have all been. "i don't see it" or "we are no worse than other countries " or "it's you".

Which shows the problems that exist in this country.

Instead of getting defensive, wouldn't it be more beneficial to try to have a discussion to say where we can improve the sexism in Ireland .

I'm not saying every man is sexist in ireland. I'm saying that a lot of sexist issues exist in Ireland tha take a lot of women's lives really bad. And surely we can do better in 2024.

*that make a lot of women's lives really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I'm a male so my opinion of what I see doesn't count? Pretty sexist I have to say...

You're acting like I denied there is sexism against women in this country, I did not. I didn't even say that we were the best in Europe or even amongst the best. But compared to the two countries you mentioned, I would certainly put us ahead of them. And not that it's any of your business but yes, I lived in London. Plenty of pig ignorant British males in that town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

If I didn't think Ireland had a sexism problem in its culture before I certainly would after reading this thread. 

-Posts #2, #3, #5, #14 outright dismissing the concerns without even seeking further details. Nobody was asking what was said, what area was it, what were the demographics, what other women thought of the comments etc. Why attempt to understand when you can just dismiss with zero information!

-post #8 and #14 gaslighting the OP on her travel experiences, clearly as men they're better positioned to ascertain the sexism prevalence towards women across the world. 

-post #18 going even further to blame the OP for being abused(!!) 

Absolute shambles of a thread, boards has just turned into boomer central in the last 10 years full of old cranks coming here to complain about "woke" with zero communication skills. 

OP, I suggest asking the question on a different platform and you might get some actual serious responses. 

• Advertisement

Jim Hodge thats very easy for you to say. Yet it's impossible to implement in reality. Women in Ireland have to be around men in different places. We don't get to choose which men are there. I don't get to get to choose the men that i work with.

I don't get to choose the men that are in the local choir that I am in. I have to be in groups with men everywhere in Ireland. Maybe men could act better.

I have left some groups in Ireland because of sexual harassment. But if I left them all , i would have no social life whatsoever

I used to sing in a band in ireland. I loved it. I had to leave it. As one of the bands members father used to come to every gig and ask me to have sex with him. I couldn't take him any more. So I had to leave a band that I loved singing in.

I've left two other hobby groups that I absolutely loved in Ireland, because of sexual comments that the men made. The things about women they said were absolutely disgusting. I couldn't be around them anymore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement