Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Imagine thinking Dublin is safe. If anyone thinks that they were clearly under a rock for the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm in the North inner city centre working right now, outdoors with a camera, no security. What level of danger do you think I'm in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Doc07

I was in north and south inner city last 2 weekends with my kids and I train an underage soccer team 8pm in inner city one day a week, I feel safe…am I living under a rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I wouldn't class them as insults per se, it's your usual modus operandi. I have never said I'd be afraid in Dublin, you just always go there in the face of insults (per se) aimed at Dublin. Don't like the kip? Must be a pussy. Not a fan of the place? Yeah well, Berlin/Amsterdam/whatabouteryland.

I live in Dublin.

What you're seeing there, John, is a microcosm showing the amount of threads featuring various places in Ireland. You might notice that it's heavily swayed toward Dublin in CA and AH. I don't bother with the pointless regional fora. I imagine the Dublin one to be like a circle jerk around the spire. If I see a thread on Laois or Offaly, I'll make sure to tell them how little I think of those places too. Don't even get me started on Leitrim.

Thanks for the offer, however, I've seen what I need to see over the years. No doubt, certain parts are great but DCC is only barely habitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What's your problem with Laois?! Some lovely places there, I've a mate that lives there and we've gone kayaking on the Barrow and done some hikes. Laois is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

I think it's a difference between people who actually spend time in the city who believe its safe, and people who just read the news and social media and believe it's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Have you even read the news the last year or two?

Not everybody is an internet hard man like yourself.

Since you are there now, take a walk down the Liffey boardwalk. You might still see the blood there from the guy that got his head kicked in when I was passing the day before yesterday. I guess he didnt have an internet name like John Rambo or he'd have been so tough noone would have looked at him.

It was a lovely mild evening in Blanchardstown Christmas eve. You'ld have loved it.

Were a few mild evenings in the city center in November. Only a few people stabbed, including children. Only one Luas. a few police cars and a bus or two burnt last year too.

Yes, Dublin is safe. Its not the Dublin I grew up in anymore for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Temple bar did get rougher during covid, the Gardai used to turn up to clear groups of hoodie wearing teenagers and junkies from hanging about hassling people. Then after covid you rarely saw foot patrols around the city centre generally. I know someone that saw the guys hanging about that stabbed the English tourist in temple bar, the local businesses contact the gardai to get them to move them on but they stopped turning up after Covid. I know they have less numbers but it was becoming a rare site to see them patrolling. How safe the city centre is can be measured by how many Gardai you see about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,460 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I don't think Dublin is 'safe' compared to parts of rural Ireland where you can leave your front door unlocked. But compared to the majority of capital cities in the world I would say it is safe.

The fact that people are being attacked in Dublin has less to do with Dublin's safety but how there is a minority of people who are effected by the drug/drink culture.

More often than not if a person is vigilant and switched on, or walk with someone else they will be safe. If I was in New York City would it be smart of me to go wandering to through the high numbered streets at night on my own?

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

You would walk through East Belfast wearing a Celtic shirt before you would walk through Dublin at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

who are you speaking for? i take it you have never been in dublin at night

Well at least you agree that your posts are incredibly heavily swayed towards Dublin! That's an open offer, open your mind, open your eyes, I'll show you things you didn't know existed in your capital.

Nonsense. You'll see every jersey possible in Dublin from English rugby jerseys, soccer jerseys & GAA jerseys from every county. We're used to it, nobody bats an eyelid. Take your regional guff back home boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Dublin is a big place and there are lots of very nice areas.

The North Inner city certainly has its rough element, but its very easy to avoid if you dont want to go there.

The nicest and wealthiest parts of the country are located in Dublin. But they are not in D1.

D1 is not Dublin. Its a very small part of it.

You can have a brilliant day and night out in Dublin without going anywhere near the North Inner City.

Its like saying a whole town is rough because of one run down street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I know all the heads, they're sound, they'd never go near me, so in turn they'd never harm a fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The safety of Dublin City centre really depends on who you are. That's probably why the opinions differ quite a bit.

I find it fine myself but I'm an average sized guy (meaning larger than the trouble-makers) in my forties who looks angry when walking around town. Not that I'd be much use if I was attacked by a few of the local scrotes but if they're looking to cause trouble with someone, there are other, more appealing targets about. Outside of beggars, I don't get any hassle. So, from that point of view, it seems safe enough to me.

Now, if I was someone else, maybe 5 foot nothing, a good bit younger and maybe female, I would view it differently. An aggressive beggar, for example, isn't going to get up in your face if they think their own might might get a smack and they'll be braver with someone more vulnerable. I know of plenty of such instances where women I know have had to deal with that while I would not.

So I think that when people say that Dublin is safe, there's a lot of personal bias there. I feel safe myself but based on the experiences of others, it's obviously not a place that has shown itself to be safe for them. You can't really judge the safety of a place based on the experience of grown, able-bodied, adult men. A safe city would be one that's safe for everyone and not just those who tend to be avoided by the local scumbag population.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What I find tedious about the city centre is people chasing you for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I was never in a car accident, therefore the roads are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭FrankN1

It's really unsafe and a kip. Only would take a few million to transform it to liveable but sure it's grand.

• Advertisement

Is this a joke? The roads are safe, that's why you've never been in a car accident. Ireland is one of the safest countries to drive in in the EU and Dublin consistently ranks as one of the safest cities in the world. You've never been in a car accident or murdered in Dublin. These are your real life experiences, rely on them, don't rely on social media, bar stool stories, gossip & scuttlebutt.

I've just arrived home from the North inner city centre with an eight year old and a six year old child. It's not a dangerous place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Dublin's always had an edge to it but I wouldn't call it unsafe.

It's getting safer all the time also.

I would feel uneasy in the NE inner city particularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Internet Scuttlebutt from men who insist on driving beyond their skills & blaming the roads for their mishaps.

Deffo has an edge, every city does.

Stop crying. If you want to be serious and give up using the Irish road networks completely.. and avoid visiting the capital because they're too dangerous go for it. Your call. Myself and millions of Irish people will keep risking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Some big cities I've been to feel safer though like Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Cologne etc.

But Dublin is definitely not edgier than many others like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Bilbao, Barcelona, Berlin etc.

Some fucker tried to mug me in Berlin. That's never happened in Dublin. I'm not a huge man but I'm stocky of average height and kinda wild looking so people normally don't bother me.

Well I'm glad we can at least agree on Offaly and Leitrim being wastes of land.

Not my posts as such, more that the website itself is heavily swayed towards Dublin. Unfortunate for the locals, no doubt.

You know these lads, T. Wouldn't have the cojones to stroll around like you or me. I've even taken to wearing my pink Powderpuff Girls t-shirt around by the boardwalk at night. Just in case one of the f*ckers wants to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Augme

A safe city would be one that's safe for everyone and not just those who tend to be avoided by the local scumbag population.

If that's the criteria for a safe city then then pretty much 99% of the major cities in the world aren't safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Dublin is quite safe overall, its an absolute fact. If you actually look at the crime figures and divide by the number of people it's easy to understand why the majority of people living in Dublin have not been a victim of crime. It's nowhere near the safest city in Europe but its a lot safer than the majority of cities in the world.

Advertisement