Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Gardai cannot police beside Capitals main street, is it third world?

Options
  • 09-01-2024 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭

Today it emerged that access to a Dublin city centre street, just beside O'Connell st., has been closed off to members of the public.

Quote " Harbour Court, located opposite the Abbey Theatre, has been the location of uncontrollable anti-social behaviour, drug use and illegal dumping, according to Dublin City Council."

A local councillor there said " It's half the length of O'Connell Street and Gardaí haven't got the resources to patrol O'Connell Street so what chance is there that they could in any way patrol a lane?"

Are we the only European country which has a city centre which is uncontrollable and has no-go areas even for police?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's not a no-go area, it's a small laneway and there are not enough gardai to patrol the main streets properly, never mind every back street and laneway.

I'd nearly guarantee nobody used it as a through route precisely because of those who congregate there, so no loss except to the drug dealers and users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Some people were on the radio today saying many many years ago they used to use it as a through route, but the drug users and homeless and people camping out and drug dealers and needles on the ground and illegal dumping made it feel less safe than Mogadishu.

O'Connell Street is the widest street in Europe (the Champs Elysees is the widest avenue in Europe), shame how our capital main street area is not as elegant or well kept as 110 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Marcel Sweet

Shame on the councillors who allowed this to happen..but listening to some of the rubbish they come out with....not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

You might be over estimating the powers of a Councilor, what exactly would like them to do - man the barricades?

We love to blame a third party in this country, how about blame the scum and vermin that have made the alleyway in accessible?

I meant shame on our Councillors who allowed our principle street to become a honky tonk of fast food joints and gambling emporiums.

And for not insisting on proper policing for citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I assumed that's where it was. I used to get the bus opposite it for years. It always stank of pi$$, but that was as bad as it got, your talking late 90s though.

Not surprised it just got worse..

It wasn't fast food joints and gambling emporiums that the looters were rampaging through a few weeks back. I have lived in Dublin, Brussels, Belfast, London and Glasgow and there is no noticeable difference in the premises on main streets - some have more bars alright but that's because of Temple Bar.

You talk of policing, go over to the thread on public pay talks and see what the appetite is for a properly paid police force - everyone wants more and better services but are unwilling to pay for it, can't have it both ways.

And again what has any of this to do with Councilors, they have about as much say as an angry caller to Joe Duffy.

One of the main issues/differences I notice in Dublin from the afore mentioned Cities is the location and quality of Methadone Clinics and associated services. in most cities these are moved away from the centre, away from the eyes of the tourists and visitors but they still exist as do all the antisocial consequences that come with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My 2 favourite Joe Duffy style commenters in these conversations are the "X is a disaster/dead nowadays, I haven't been there in 20 years" and the people who proclaim that the "tourists will run a mile with the state of the place" who clearly show up how little they know about other cities on the planet.

By your logic then fast food joints and gambling emporium are OK on our main thoroughfare because they were not looted ?

Surely the councillors could refuse planning permission for the methadone centres??

They seem pretty effective in stifling any proper high rise developments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lazy ass Irish sticking plaster fix.

Drug users etc simply move somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Well actually I think that is exactly what they want, away from the center.

Well it won't be a million miles away and just creates a nuisance somewhere else, this is not a fix, this is moving a problem around.

I tend to agree but its exactly what is pretty much done in every large city that I have ever been in, out of sight out of mind! Someone else's problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I know of other cities on the planet and I know we're in Europe. So that really is where the comparison should be narrowed down to. As there are many cities of comparable size to Dublin littered throughout Europe and we're of comparable wealth to our immediate continental western neighbours. This isn't a grass is greener situation. Dublin is plagued with anti social issues and rampant drug use.

You might point this is not unique to Ireland, no it isn't. But I can go over to central London and I won't see someone in a phonebox smoking crack. I won't see addicts frozen on the street from their heroin use. Take a walk around any street in central Dublin and without trying you'll find some form of drug abuse, anti social behaviour at some point throughout a given day/night.

You might point to Paris as an example. But besides our common past time of riots you can walk around central Paris on a normal (peaceful even) day and not see what I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I lived and worked in a very touristy part of central London and saw all those things. Seen plenty of it in Paris, Brussels and Barcelona too.

Anyway I'm not going to argue with you about Dublin having problems or not cause it does. I'm just also not gonna stop laughing at the radio phone in crowd preaching apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Agreed. It is madness to locate so many drug treatment centres and social housing complexes in the city centre.

The treatment centres should be moved out, mostly to industrial estates and the housing stock in D1 should be mixed tenure, to allow more working folks to live and purchase a home there.

O'Connell St could be turned around pretty quickly, if there was any political will to address the elephants in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I've seen it in every major city.

You have to zoom out on Dublin and view it over many decades. It's got problems but it's improving all the time.

Up until the mid 90s nobody wanted to live in the city center. It had huge areas of deprivation, crime, heroin epidemic. That's gradually improved.

The Docklands were a post industrial wasteland. The NE inner city was a complete no go area. Likewise the area around Fatima Mansions, Dolphins Barn and Teresa's Gardens. Lots of the inner suburbs were very rough like Crumlin, Drimnagh, Cabra. Lots of the outer suburbs also.

All of this has changed for the better.

How is it that millions are fired at drug treatment centres and the likes of Peter McV and the NGO industry (because it pretty much is an industry) and the problems only get worse, not better??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,976 ✭✭✭✭event

You must walk around London with your eyes closed if you dont see that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

RE public pay talks, there's two sides to this coin.

People will pay for a properly run police service, but AGS seems to be anything but. We've had numerous scandals over the years from the rank and file to the commissioner, so I can see why people are loathe to give more money to a organization which is prone to a bit of light corruption and abuses of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Second world at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just close down Dublin altogether and leave it to the junkies and troublemakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Read the report, its not safe , period, Im glad its closed and they need to close more around the mid abbey street area, its turned into a cesspit.

You must live in a leafy surburb, I work in the city centre so its a plain as day that these laneways are a hive of anti social behaviour.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2024/0109/1425496-dublin-laneway/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The North Inner City you mean.

South Coastal Dublin is the nicest and wealthiest part of the country by an absolute mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The South Inner city is going the same way , West Moreland street seems to have a growing number of people selling drugs and temple bar has all the drug addicts hassling people for money and attacking people later in the night .

Its not much better in rural Ireland with travellers controlling a growing number of towns and villages after their garda stations were closed or downgraded to an hour a day .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

There was more violent crime on that street (formerly Sackville Street, now O'Connell Street) 110 years ago than there is today.

C.S. Andrew grew up around Summerhill in the 1900s and 1910s and in his memoir of that era he mentions there were daily fistfights around the north end of Sackville Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

What a pain! It was such a handy spot if you were caught short and needed to take a sh*t.

It's funny how closing a laneway, that nobody but drug addicts use, deserves a feature on the national news.

You swear they were closing Grafton St.

• Advertisement

The corner of Westmoreland St by the Circle K shop has been a druggie spot for decades. From there all the way to the Oliver Bond Flats is a druggie spot.

I think the dealers re-up in the flats and then deal by Merchants Quay, the Council HQ and then on that corner.

The Kinahans have supplied and controlled Oliver Bond Flats for decades. Apparently Greg Lynch runs it for them.

Rural Ireland is fine. Drugs have spread there but mostly coke, pils, weed. Not really heroin. There's some rural depopulation and some towns are slowly dying but it's fine in general.

I don't think travellers control anything. They're outcasts nearly everywhere.

Advertisement