Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car - automatic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,284 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I passed my test in recent years OP.

I struggled a little with gears and wanted to go automatic..

I read all the threads on here about how everything as going auto soon, it's easier, you don't have to think about changing gears, more time to focus on the road, etc. It was really sold to me.

However I had access to a manual car and it would have cost me a few €1000's to change. I was very tempted to take the plunge but relatives encouraged me to stick at it as did my driving instructor.

I stuck at it tough. Essentially for myself and most people I know it takes a few extra hours/days of starting/stopping to get use to a manual. As somebody else said find somewhere quiet to practice. It all then gels together.

I'm happy I did it because

I can now drive a manual or automatic be it for fun, practical, etc.

It will allow me to buy a cheap runabout of any size without limiting myself in the future.

If I went own the auto route and I needed to drive a manual it would mean doing another driving test.

Silly but I challenged myself and I didn't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

My advice to parents would be to let them drive what they want to drive. I don't think the same enthusiasm for driving exists amongst the younger generations these day than existed back in our days.

Maybe bring them car shopping, so they know they'll have less choice in automatics in the bargain end of the car market when they do get their own car.

I'd only recommend pushing them to drive a manual if they want to drive professionally.

With regards car rental, most places you need to have a drivers licence for 2 years before they'll let you rent. After that there's going to be a load of places that won't rent to them or make it very expensive until they turn 25. By the time they hit that age they'll have no problem renting an automatic. And to be fair I've had no issues getting an automatic recently due to the prevalence of hybrid cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

What did you end up getting? My 20 year old is learning now and we are looking at similar auto cars in the 5k range... there is not many options with decent mileage... crazy the price increase in the last 4 years!

Looking at vitz/yaris or march/micra. not sure bout insuring them tho, but decent condition/mileage on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Ya exactly that.. not pulled the trigger on a purchase yet., going ahead learning in my manual for a bit.. so giving it a bit more time and by then she will have more options with manual included . small autos are v limited as you see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Keep learning in the manual if you can, it gives you way more options for a cheap first car, our youngest passed her test in a manual car last week, despite doing all her driving, except for lessons, in automatic cars, there were plenty of arguments about it but she now sees the advantages having discovered car prices on Done Deal, though nothing will be bought till after the leaving cert .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

My wife got a march last year (12 months NCT, for c.a. €3000, it was a 2006 to be fair). It was her first automatic car, she had failed 3 driving tests in a manual, all for clutch control/coasting. Got a test two weeks after buying the march(she was already on the list) and passed with no faults.

Manuals are a dying breed. With hybrid tech and EVs being pushed i think the manual gearbox on personal vehicles could be gone by the time the diesel ban enters in 2030. So there will be a lot more options then, you're not spoilt for choice at the moment, but the march is a solid option with loads of cheap spare parts available and they run on very little fuel. Plus it's like driving a go-kart.

I love my manual but I can really see the benefits of an automatic. It wouldn't bother me at all if had to drive auto for the rest of my days.

Advertisement