Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car - automatic

Options
  • 09-01-2024 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I am currently teaching my daughter to drive. she is v eager and would like to be driving her own car by the start of her 2nd year in college in Sept.

So to speed up the ease of learning and getting a license, I was looking for a suitable automatic.

This obviously hugely cuts down on choice so looking for some advice from the experts.

Budget would be 5k or so and best to be sub 1.4l. Are there any reliable auto's in this range.

I have thought about a leaf/zoe option as the daily commute is sub 50km but thinking it would tie her to not been able to do a longer commute down the line plus been her 1st car it maybe an extra worry she would not need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭goochy

a leaf or zoe for €5 K ???

you will struggle to get a decent auto for that price , an older previously imported jap import as the jap imports being imported now are newer / more expensive than that

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

not sure on a zoe but there are leaf's 10bar batteries in that range to be got

maybe best to stick with a yaris type car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

If your looking for advice from experts you've come to the wrong place. But anyway learning in an auto will not speed up the process, being a good driver is 95% awareness and the rest, just like riding a bike, once you get it is muscle memory.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭goochy

shes only got 5k to spend , wont get an electric car - as said an older japanese import like a micra

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Would not be an expert by any means but

What you are proposing is absolutely doable

2 years ago we were in the same boat with our young fella

He wanted to drive but was having difficulty with a manual and we felt it would be easier / less stressful if he wanted to try an automatic

The difference was night and day :-)

Picked up an Opel Corsa Auto for less than 4k at the time with 60.000 mls

Passed his test first time round & insurance is now @ €700

As a 1.4 it is a little heavier on petrol

The road tax is also a bit more but we help him out with the costs

A great confidence boost for a young person to get their licence and first car and lets face it before too long we will all be in electric / hybrid automatics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I always feel you're doing your child a disservice by teaching them on an automatic. Of course it is easier, but you are limiting them greatly in what cars they can drive in the future. Of course going forward more and more cars are going to be automatic, but there are bound to be times in the future where they will be presented with a manual car and won't be able to drive it.

We have both manual and auto in the family and our teenager argued strongly for learning on an automatic, but is now learning on the manual and after a few weeks is driving really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Iguarantee

My two cents as someone who enjoys driving but isn’t a car enthusiast at all:

Firstly, fair play for providing her with a car in the first place, that’s a great gift to give her!

I currently have an automatic EV car and manual diesel car. I originally learned on a manual petrol car.

The first car I drove was, in hindsight, small, cheap and drove like crap. Every car I’ve had since was an improvement.

There is a learning curve to driving, but your daughter can, quite literally, practice every spare hour she has in the day to close the gap between ignorance and competence.

I’d recommend learning on a manual, because it’s a much more involved drive, and she will learn to control the car in a more comprehensive way than an automatic car will allow. Completing your driving test in an automatic doesn’t automatically qualify you as a fully licensed driver in a manual car (I’m open to correction there).

Also, for €5k, short of buying a high mileage Mercedes or some other luxobarge, the car you do buy for that price probably be shite, underpowered and cheaply built that may be perfectly acceptable and sufficient, I’m just pointing it out

I’d guess that your range of manual options is tenfold that of automatic options (at a minimum).

Post edited by Iguarantee on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Be warned that if she does her test in an automatic, the certificate of competency and thus all future full driving licenses will forever be restricted to automatic transmissions only. Unfortunately AFAIK there's no way to remove an automatic restriction code from a driving license save literally getting a new unrestricted learner's permit and beginning the whole process again.

In a country like the US where everyone drives automatic and so manual cars are rare this doesn't matter, but here in Europe this will likely be a significant limitation for at least the next decade or so.

I would say look for a 2L diesel manual of some kind - I can't fully explain it but big engine diesel manuals seem at least to me to be much easier to drive. At least my experience has been that they're almost impossible to stall.

Thanks for all the input.. for now I think i will continue with lessons in my manual. Its for sure gonna give more options when the time comes to purchase.

btw @Iguarantee she is financing this all by herself, so she is the one who gets all the credit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Wow, presuming this post is a joke. ‘No experts here’ and proceeds to talk excrement.

Of course learning in an auto is easier and quicker. Personally know two people who passed the test very quickly after switching to auto.

Hill start, moving off etc much easier. No marks for not changing gear in time or overrevving.

We gave up starting cars with a crank handle when electric starters came along. The manual gearbox still persists, mainly, because it is cheap to manufacture.

OP, get your daughter an auto and don’t look back!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The markets like the US have moved to automatics only, Europe will follow suit, especially with more electric and hybrid cars. Even tractors now are automatic

Having a manual license will soon be no advantage unless you work in construction or farming

Go to Carzone or DoneDeal and reduce the list to auto only and price range

Honda Jazz, not exciting but works etc might do the job. I would put the price range to 6k and see if you can prove it down.

The Skoda and Seat smaller cars seems to pop up as well on done deal

Nissan March as well, most Nissan are fairly rock solid from my own history

I have a saved search in DD for autos sub 1.4 (2.0l. diesel 😮 def ain’t an option) and will keep an eye out for when she’s ready to purchase. May need to stretch the budget a little from what i see. For sure the future ev so not worried about missing out on the manual boat as there will be plenty of auto options for the 2nd car., but she’ll continue to get her lessons in a manual s-max 😀

She isn't, even my Dad who hated auto's, now drives an auto and would never look back. Manual is so 80/90's 😂

Agreed.. I’ve been driving manuals for almost 30 yrs.. looking forward to the smooth easy drive of an ev personally!

I won't disagree that autos have a place but manual will always be best for driver involvement and control. Learning to drive a manual will make the learner a better driver even if they're likely to get rarer.

🙈🙉🙊

Nonsense. The control of a car has nothing to do with changing gears.

A person with a license with only automatic is no less of a driver than someone with a manual. I have a manual license by the way and so thankful we moved away from manual years ago.

I have rented cars in the US and across Europe where i get an auto normally.. as clo-clo says changing gears had nothing to do with a drivers competence being the wheel..

I give up! Buy an auto, manuals are now just for motoring enthusiasts dinosaurs like me, lol.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

09 Corsa Auto, 55000km

€4150

http://www.adverts.ie/32604260

• Advertisement

so sorry if i came of as negative to your response. i appreciate all opinions even if I disagree. who's to say who is right... anyways my daughter told me that her friends would laugh if she got an auto so i guess its me who's the dinosaur 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

theres absolutly loads of options for small autos, most are going to be hybryds, so decent l/100km.

honda jazz / fit

yaris

prius c (i think)

then you could get slightly bigger, like an older insight.

millage shouldbnt matter on them, hybrids are all bulletproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I have two young people in the family and I wish they were as proactive as your daughter OP. One of mine is going for outdoor type career and so, I would definitely recommend a manual license when they get started. The other is more inclined to a indoor career, and initially didn't see any need for a driving license at all! but is coming round to thinking about it now that they are renting in a town away from home or city. I would be happy enough if they went for an auto test because in all likelihood they will never get to drive a manual. However there are still a lot of manual cars about - especially in the price ranges that young people will be looking at and the auto license is going to restrict choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

There seems to be a mental block around doing the test in an auto in Ireland.

You can always go back and do it again in a manual if you need to for work. You’d be a much more experienced driver by then and find the test much easier.

A lot of the reason, men primarily, wanted to learn in manuals is that they needed it if they wanted to get a driving job or go on to be bus and lorry drivers. Even now, a huge proportion of the large vehicles on the road now are autos.

Let them laugh. She’ll be the one with the freedom of a car while they’re still relying on their folks for lifts!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭djan

I would definitely go for a manual as while an automatic is easier to pick up, a manual won't automatically make you a better driver. The great thing about learning manual is that you can get a much better car for your money which is a big thing when budget is tight and will probably be the car for a while.

If struggling with manual just do hours of stop start and hill starts in industrial estates/car parks until it becomes second nature. A big reason why people struggle with manual is because they hit the road without being fully competent in clutch control, setting off and changing gears.

Furthermore, if she is looking to travel abroad and rent a car, unless in USA, it will be much more expensive to get an automatic if available at all and all round avoids any hassle with not being able to drive certain vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Actually, I kinda disagree.

If they're complete beginners to road vehicles, or stressed about it, then an automatic allows them learn about driving: roads, traffic, speed, distance & hazard perception without the 'baggage' of clutches & gearchanges etc.

Once they have an amount of that done, you could introduce the manual car component.

My 2 did that, but took their test in manuals and it worked out well for both.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Even though I linked an automatic car above, I would suggest continuing to teach her on manual and she does her test on a manual.

But buy the automatic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

While most posts are correct in stating that most cars in the future will be automatics.

I don't think it's a good argument to think it will speed things up. Learning to drive manual can take weeks but it takes months to prepair for the test.

You can be graded for incorrect use of gear or clutch in the test but I suspect very few people fail their test for this.

Also teaching family can be difficult as people tend to listen to instruction better from an official. So perhaps give her a few lessons with an instructor and see if they believe manual will be an issue for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Samson1

Check this out, but if I am correct I believe that the licensing system has changed. I am told that, because of the proliferation of hybrid cars (and some EV's) all of which which are automatic, that if you do your test now in an automatic, the licence you receive is no longer marked "automatic". i.e. your new licence will cover you to drive all cars.

And as for the views expressed that "learning in a manual makes you a better driver", nonsense !

• Advertisement
Advertisement