Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 9 January, chance of lying snow Munster / South Leinster

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

It’s hard to know at times whether people are being sarcastic or not with some of this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very light dusting on the Northside in Cork City. Emphasis on very light!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

It is not nor the colour of it,unless you take the scenic route by road...

Weather doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

So a light snowfall across a lot of the South. Most of it didn't stick, not helped because we didn't have any frost before it...we always learn though and for me minus 8s are enough for snow from the East!! Other factors affect lying snow, primarily intensity...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

North Waterford, dusting of snow, most of it seemed to land on the cars. Daughter heading off to work - over a mountain! - says its not desperately cold out and the snow is not frozen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Mildest night in a while here in North Kildare. No frost or fog either. Hopefully a sign the cold spell is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I imagine Galtymore will look very impressive. A great climb when it has snow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Snow in parts of north kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A minor blip, cold and frost returning properly tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Light dusting on the northside of Cork city and on the way to Kinsale. Was not a very cold night.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiaMaria

Tis snowing in West Cork ..the snow shield has been breached .!

42 years ago this week

We got 9 days off school

Roads blocked,drifts covering the ditches

Thunder snow

I remember being in School of a Wednesday in weather not too dis similar to today

It started to snow that night outside Arklow around 9pm

Parents Couldn't get the car out on the Thursday morning, it continued to blizzard until Saturday evening and froze all the following week

On the nearby hills,drifts up the tree tops in the woods and upstairs windows in houses

Local forestry officer accompanied an aer corps helicopter dropping supply parcels to villages west of Arklow and brought the doctor to sick patients

Remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Nice pic! It's similar to what we had here(South Kilkenny)only earlier in the night. I woke up around 3 to a light covering but most of it had gone by morning. Better than nothing, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Cork2021

It snizzled a nice bit in Kanturk North Cork! A bit of a dusting that didn’t melt

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

My favourite snow event in my life time.

Beats 2010 and the BFTE.

Maybe that was because I was young and living in the country so more able to get out and enjoy the snow and ice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Living down a country road, the space between the hedges filled with snow, we couldn't get out until a few tractors had cleared the way a bit, and then it was a wellies and walking job!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭molly dolly

1982 was amazing as a child. We were cleared out quickly as my dad worked on heavy machinery and his work place got a contract clearing roads so they wanted him asap. He would have been working up knockanna etc. Helicopters did food drops as roads were impossible even after clearing but it was heaven to us who had no idea how hard it was on local farmers and adults. Coal bags filled with straw were our tabogans. Living 2 miles uphill from where I grew up my kids view this story as akin to walking to school with no shoes. 2010 was hell though I was pregnant and baby decided not to play ball and came 10 weeks early in the middle of it. Storm Emma though was great fun as we live walking distance to a pub so climbed a few drifts mid afternoon and he was open with fires lighting etc. Dh grew up in cork and had never seen snow like it and now understands my compulsive snow watch just in case we get snowed in for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Location, Location, Location!

When 'Reeling in the Years' it makes all the difference, where certain years weather events will be permanently etched in one persons memory, yet the very same year will yield nothing but, "What was so special about 19** ???" in someone elses.

I lived in Firhouse Co. Dublin for 1982 and was about to turn 8 years old. The whole family got lost in a Blizzard walking back from Gubays Supermarket. Only 500 metres with plenty of 'Landmarks' of rows of houses and tree's but because it was literally white out conditions where you couldn't see your hands in front of your face, we ended up turned 90deg and walking across a green space in the wrong direction.

Funny for the parents. 8 Year old me was **** myself that we'd end up at the Hellfire Club!! LOL.

Remember a great Snowfall that lasted a week in 1984 in Firhouse as well, yet don't see anyone talk about 1984.

Moved to Bray by 1987 and even Bray got an almighty dumping that year and its certainly another year that everyone on the East Coast remembers well.

Its after 1987 and being in Bray that means the 1990's and Noughties hold no memorable snow events for me despite others talking about the great snow of 1991 or 1996?? or 20**etc until Jan & Nov/Dec 2010. Bray only seemed to catch a dusting for a day or two while others were buried many times during those 20 years.

Location, Location, Location was at its most dramatic for me in 2018 because it wasn't a case of Towns or villages a few miles up or down the road getting a dumping while we in Bray got SFA. It was a case of most of Bray getting a dumping except near the Seafront. I'm a road back from the Strand Road so basically Sea Level. We got the same 5cm as the rest of Bray from the Streamers. Very nice and easy to walk around in. Then Storm Emma hit. We near the Seafront ended up with our 5cm turning into a 2cm slushy mess, because the gale force winds blew in Salty Sea Spray over us, a natural de-icer preventing any accumulation of the epic amounts of snow falling and melting some of what we already had. Yet only 900m deeper into the town and 50m elevation higher beyond the point where the Salty Sea Spray settled out, back gardens had 12-18 inches of level snow and 5ft snow drifts against back garden walls from Emma.

So 1987-2010 gets a 'Meh' from me in particular in my part of Bray wrt to snow events, yet that near quarter century timespan holds many memorable Snow events for others not very far away. Location, Location, Location!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Reminds me very much of the 2018 snow, this low resolution screengrab from a video clearly shows how the snow has filled in the road between the hedgerows, with a local man struggling to make progress on foot. And such was the nature of the blizzard, you can see a large swathe of the field on the left with next to nothing in the way of lying snow.

Location is north Kildare at about 120m ASL where the man is standing with the hill behind rising to 146m ASL.

Round here,there was enough snow to cover the fields and block the roads!

In '82 that sign would have been buried

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Delighted to see the Great Blizzard of the night of 9 January 2024 being mentioned in the same breath as Jan 1982, Jan 1987, Feb 1991 and March 2018. It really does deserve its place in that pantheon. Its just a miracle there were no fatalities....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's actually a lightning 🌩 app but ot covers rain and snow as well , flash is what it's called if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭geographica

It’s not “practically” or otherwise in Wexford town 🙄🙄

Use of the term practically in the way I used it there,a common use for the purposes of my point of being very near the town is a discussion for the English forum maybe

If you've taken Grave enough offence from my usage there,I do apologise, it's not my intention

But if your point was to say JC is not very near Wexford town,I've disagreed, that is all,no biggy

Weather travels as the crow flies so if its raining in wexford as was reported here it will be raining at Johnstown Castle if under the same shower

My other point was in relation to auto reporting at 11pm ,J.C is not a manned station in that sense like say Ork,DUB or SNN may be ,so I'm doubtful there's manual intervention, maybe there is

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Advertisement