Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday 9 January, chance of lying snow Munster / South Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm in the northwest carrick on shannon so please if there is flurries or even snow showers upload your videos and pictures 📸

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Certainly not expecting anything (other than rain) in my part of the east coast! Currently 5.0c in my part of Greystones (DP -0.2c).

Looks like some ppn has reached the Wexford coast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Speak Now

To mild in Waterford anyway, we never got a break in the cloud this afternoon to get that sharp drop in temp at dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Very light snizzle here in Wexford, about 10k east of Enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I wouldn't worry about temp. They will fall as ppn moves in. It's all about the next 4 hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

Currently in Arklow 👇 Feeling Baltic in 30kmh Easterly gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Yes but with the ground having warmed above freezing during the day combined with mainly light precipitation (a few moderate bursts are likely in places), any non-heavy falling snow will have a tough time settling, apart from inland and/or on high ground.

Higher parts of Cork city and the likes of Cork airport may get a light covering (2 to 3cm), if there is enough intensity. The airport terminal is at about 160m ASL. In Cork city, the likes of Knockaheeny could be well placed and to a lesser extent, the high ground to the north of the Lee/N8.

I don't know much more about the geography of Cork city and surroundings so can't really comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I'm in South Kilkenny(fairly close to Waterford City). I'd say you're right about not worrying too much about the temp. It's 3c here but we've just had a few snow grains/graupel so I can only assume that we've got quite low dew points. My guess is that many parts of the South and East will see falling snow. However, the question is whether it will be heavy enough to allow accumulations given the temperatures. My guess is that there won't be a whole lot on the ground come the morning. Then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to snow(many decades of bitter experience!). So hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Temperatures are just below 2c and a RH of 74% giving dewpoints of -2.3 and a wetbulb of 0.2c. If there is any precipitation that falls at moderate levels (2mm/hr) it will snow, below that moderate level I'd expect graupel.

Final ppn chart of the event! The best yet both in intensity and coming in off the coast...18z

• Advertisement

Cold pool got a fair bit North in the end, right the way to NI

Even for me in carrick on shannon snow is expected at 3am or so but even a flake I see falling I'll be happy 😊

All the local apps around Cork are now picking up snow between 12 and 4am. It's looking good, another night of broken sleep if any sleep at all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nice moderate burst of grauple here near Enniscorthy. Radar looks lively for a while, those lower 850hpa temps moving in over the southeast are kicking off convection nicely.

Dps are low but temps are relatively high. I don't expect to see any accumulations, but falling snow will be nice to look at.

Remember guys netweather radar is best for seeing intensity. Plenty ppn building to our Southeast. The heavier the better obviously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Snizzle / sleet / cold rain in Wexford town. Encouraging really as didn't expect anything till later.

West waterford the sweet spot I think and somewhere will definitely have a nice little covering overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is there any chance of a stray flurry making it's way to Kildare?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Have to say I was expecting colder temps at this stage. Not optimistic

Some pushing into wexford now ,blue is rain , green is mix and pink is snow

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭pureza

That pink is over Mt Leinster I think

We've had ice pellets like sand blowing in my face here just outside Arklow

Dewpoint is a respectable-2.4c with winds due East gusting above 40kmh...Brrrrrr !

Here's a current shot from weather display from the Davis

The wind is actually howling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Wind has picked up here and the temperature has risen. It had clouded over too. We won't get anything here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Small graupel shower here in swords in Dublin on my travels back to the south side,

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Seems to be a decent band of precipitation out in the Celtic Sea heading towards Cork later in the night. It could be that Cork gets the best of whatever snow there is. You've got a longer sea track for the showers to build over.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's heading West, its not going to go anywhere near the coast.. though other ppn could form as the night goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Johnstown Castle reporting a Snow Shower at 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Snozzle about 10 mins a go in north Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

According to the met eireann radar there’s precipitation running along the south coast and just east of Cork City but without netweather using the new radar we can’t tell what it is until it gets here.

I’m south of the city and my station is reading 4.3C with a dew point of -0.5 up from -1.9 an hour ago so not holding out much hope here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

More sneachtzzle showing on map now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

In the 10 mins since I last posted the temp has dropped to 3.2………maybe there is hope!!

Advertisement