Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Masters - Jan 7th to Jan 14th - BBC/Eurosport

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ronnie is a numpty. No filter.

You could tell it was killing Murphy to be polite

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was funny though, I thought. The most cutting and true Ronnie comment was 'they have no snooker brain' - meaning the other players on the circuit. Compared to him of course. But for Murphy the most cutting Ronnie throwaway comment (when he hears it) was "I knew if I played olwight I'd win".

I think Ronnie rattled Murphy a bit the way Ronnie looked like he was careless. Sort of like that time he did it v Selby in the World Championship.

But the level was that high at the same time that those few errors from Murphy cost him the match. Like the missed blue after the great rest shot, that type of thing. But you can't say that Murphy did not have his chances to make it a much closer game. Murphy missed too many crucial shots, the centuries just papered over them a bit, IMO.

I hope it is Allen in the final from a spectators point of view, because if it is Carter, Ronnie will really get in his head and steamroll him, I think. An Allen v Ronnie final would be closer. I nearly forgot in the BBC studio Ronnie forgot who Carter was playing....had to think for a few seconds.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

That was over quick. Thought at 3-2 we'd get another tight one

None of the presenters have mentioned it. But how many Masters competitions did Ronnie not compete in? Was it three/four? Because that makes the 14 finals even more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Think he has only missed 2 since 1994, 2020 and his "gap year", 2013.

He has a dangerous, f*-you-all attitude at the minute, must be the favourite; hoping Allen comes through, I think he is mentally resilient and could challenge him. Carter simply can't beat O'Sullivan and will be rout-ed if he makes the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

For all the talk of a rivalry between O'Sullivan and Murphy, it's only a rivalry in Murphy's head. He can make his little comments and whatever, on the table it's not even remotely close.

I think Allen wins tonight and that probably gives us a better match tomorrow.

You are correct on O'Sullivan v Murphy. I had a gawk on cuetracker.

Played 21 matches - O'Sullivan 16 - Murphy 4 - 1 draw.

The last big win Murphy had v O'Sullivan was 2017 Champion of Champions Final 10-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

Mark should of took the plant on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think Ronnie rattled Murphy a bit the way Ronnie looked like he was careless. Sort of like that time he did it v Selby in the World Championship.

Whatever one thinks of Ronnie's attitude over the last few years - it's totally working for him. He often starts of in what looks like a cavalier fashion as if he's playing in an exhibition but eventually reverts to his best and blows people away like he did with Murphy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Ronnie wearing runners probably annoyed Murphy at a certain level as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It kind of annoyed me as well! I wonder how he got away with that..... looked very scruffy (if very comfortable!)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Eurosport commentators mentioned he was complaining of an ankle injury. Whether there is any truth in that or not I don't know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You need a medical cert to deviate from the dress code. So I assume he had one. I know he’s had ankle troubles in the past.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

He is not running at the moment, on a bike instead, so the joints might have taken a bit of a pounding and he's having to rest up.

Oh yeah Ronnie said he had plantar fasciitis wasn't able to run, had to cycle.

Speaking of running Allen is off and running now. Stole that 7th frame on Carter. Assume Carter will crack/fold now?

And again, right as I typed, he missed!

I need to stop posting during matches!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Allen really isn't playing well, he'll need a lot of help from Carter if he's going to get back into this.

They're a very poorly audience today! Second medical time-out, and I've only been watching half of the coverage.

Would wreck your head if you were a player (well, it would mine anyway)

That is the bit I can't understand they are going on about how warm it is in the arena, I have seen a far few wearing T-Shirts in the crowd. But yet the players (Ronnie) has been saying it is cold.

• Advertisement

That was some yellow pot, under pressure!

This is going to be an interesting clearance for whoever gets the green!

Good man Ali Carter, that blue was a massive pot.

The captain falls over the line fair play to him. I was convinced he would crack. Amazed if he even puts it up to Ronnie tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Disappointed to see Carter in the final, think Mark would give O'Sullivan a better game. Two tier 2 players in reality, and should be a run of the mill win for O'Sullivan.

They say Carter has finally put everything together, but I just don't think he's a great player in general

Just listened to his interview after the game, does seem unusually confident. He'll have to believe and tell himself he beat O'Sullivan last time they played in a major, as his record is brutal against him otherwise.

Maybe he is becoming a better all round and focused player, but even watching the interview there's just something unlikable and smug about him. Hope he does win just for the sake of change

Carter doesn't come across as the brightest lamp on the street, the way he speaks. But maybe the work he is doing with Chris Henry has finally made him click. Let's be honest Carter getting this far is a massive achievement in itself. I just hope he does not freeze on the day of the final.

He just continually seems to say the most annoying stupid things at the wrong time, all the time, with a constant slimey smirk on his face.

I'm being unfair perhaps as many closer to him said he's a nice guy, and has been through a lot health wise, stuff you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy, so I have to keep telling myself that, it's just how he is, he can't help his personality.

Obviously many people have said it, so I'm sure he's read what many people have said about him, that across the board he's deemed an unlikable person, but you can't change how your naturally hardwired I suppose.

So I hope he wins, as after his health problems he probably deserves it, and for the sake of change. O'Sullivan is unlikable too, and despises Carter, so be funny to see Carter beat him and really get under his skin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I'm just glad Muppet Murphy isn't through

• Advertisement

Sure he's adopted Irish now, one of our own ha.

Ye as pretentious as they come, little posh boy constantly harping on about "etiquette"

Advertisement