Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Masters - Jan 7th to Jan 14th - BBC/Eurosport

Options
  • 07-01-2024 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭

Draw bracket by quarter. 1 v 2 in semi final.

1. Judd Trump v Kyren Wilson. Mark Williams v Ali Carter.
    2. Mark Selby v Robert Milkins. Mark Allen v John Higgins.
    3. Ronnie v Ding. Neil Robertson v Barry Hawkins.
    4. Shaun Murphy v Zhang Anda. Luca Brecel v Jack Lisowski.

Non ranking, but one of the triple crown events. £250K up top, Judd defending champion. Best of 11 all the way to best of 19 final. Brecel v JackL kicks it off this afternoon.

Judd 7/2, Ronnie 4/1, Selby 13/2, 14/1 bar. The Masters Winner Betting Odds | Snooker | Oddschecker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Lisowski stomping all over Brecel. Luca looking like he will struggle to repeat the form of last year or two and put up much defence of his World Title.

Things can change in Sheffield of course.

Lisowski needed a handy win for his own season.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Other question is can Lisowski put two good performances back to back? Will face the winner of Murphy v Anda. If he faces Murphy I would favour the adopted Irishman if he is switched on at all.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Doubt Luca is the man to beat the Crucible curse.

Lot of bookies happy tonight though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Ding with a 147!

Gowan Ding ya boy ya - max break now 4-3 down massive turn around. I nearly switched off a few frames ago. Thought he might miss the last yellow very awkward.

• Advertisement

Fantastic! Delighted for him.

Watch him lose the next frame now.

Yeah that happens hard to switch back to normal play. Just heard there Ding on for a massive bonus if he gets a max in the world championship now.

Think he made Ronnie a bit angry. Some response. Shot time must be silly

The standard of Ronnie's play has been ridiculously good. I thought he was supposed to feel edgy at this tournament with the vocal support he gets?

This is more like 'paid practice mate'.

Fair play to Ding for managing to make a game of it.

That was a bit of cheek from Ronnie there, potting the red under the refs arm.

• Advertisement

15 second shot time!

Ronnie post match in the arena- "My cueing aint great...."

--

What???

Obviously that 147 bonus if get two is not enough for Ronnie (BBC studio) mentioning Ding's 147 full of praise for it etc.

Hazel says "you have 15"

Ronnie - "I am on strike from it, it should be 25"

Didn't quite catch his comment. Looking at him I was expecting the Rob Walker and BBC interviews could have developed into another car crash. But they just about managed to steer it on course.

He tells Parrot and Ken he doesn't bother watching other matches. He'll probably be in doing analysis for Eurosport all afternoon tomorrow. LOL

Yeah that is what I was thinking about the Eurosport thing as well made no sense. I think Ronnie was just on the wind up on that, to be honest. Saying he watched 'one frame'. But he genuinely seemed more upset that he hurt his foot, and couldn't go running. Has to cycle instead.

The interview in the arena nearly went odd when he said 'I aint cueing properly'. You could sense the crowd murmuring sort of quiet. Rob Walker just about saved it by saying 'But the crowd don't agree'!

Carter looked solid last night

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Kyren Wilson looking more than solid this afternoon. Sharp as a tack.

Trump is not getting a look in, and when he occasionally does, he's in poor form.

Could be a short match unless Trump gets his act together sharpish.

He must have heard me! 3-1 at the interval.

Some of the form players in 2023 struggling a bit into early 2024.

One thing you can't say is that snooker is a just a boring procession these days.

Probably does leave the door open for Ronnie this week if his head is in it, with Willo out and Trump looking a bit dicey.

Wilson with another gimmicky break off. Can't see him sticking with it.

Whatever you do, don't hit the blue!

• Advertisement

I was thinking even in general the argument used to be there are no 'characters' in the game. There seems to be plenty of fellas with opinions off the table these days Varfaei, Williams, Allen etc. Or fellas that are late bloomers like Milkins/Bingham. There seems to be way more depth in standard of player now. I know that the masters is top 16. But even if the fella who sneaks in 16th is always capable of a run in it if he clicks. I wouldn't have said that years ago.

Ah here, I miss a couple of hours, and Trump is up 5-3??? HTF did that happen?

I'm delighted, he's definitely my favourite of the two, hope he can close it out now.

Yeah, not a particular fan of Wilson. There's nothing wrong with the chap, but he just annoys the way he goes on bringing his kids and domestic life into most conversations. Find it all boring.

Each to their own

5-5 this might go on to 6pm.

Might struggle to get the new crowd in for 7 o'clock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh man I feel so bad for Wilson the way the that final frame went for him. He'd virtually had it won, did all the hard work.

Near the start of the game the camera panned in on the wife and the younger child - I know the older fella is all about it, a total showman, but this kid saw himself on a screen and looked like he wanted the ground to swallow him up - it was the most uncomfortable viewing, and they just held the camera on him for what seemed like an age. Felt so sorry for him!

Anyway, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Didn't quite do all of the hard work though did he? Played a poor positional shot and was punished in one hit by Trump, that's elite sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Christ, the heavy breathing on Eurosport has me close to turning the Robertson Hawkins match off

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Very poor stuff from Robertson. Ignoring his biggest break <30, his safety has been very weak also

• Advertisement

Another marathon match tonight. And it's not even gone 5 all yet

Advertisement