Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man playing soccer in Tipperary gets shot in the arm.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,496 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lots of cases take years to get to Court, doesn't mean that there's any conspiracy of silence around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Usually following any shooting incident and investigation the public are kept up to speed on any progress and it is made public when a file has been sent to the office of the DPP or someone has been charged.

This is important to reassure the general public that the Gardai are doing their job properly and keeping people safe.

Take the case in Limerick a couple of days ago where a man was shot twice in the back by the owner of a licenced firearm, we already know that that man has been charged and has been before the courts and his shotgun and three rifles have been taken from him.

Why are the public being kept in the dark about the case last summer and the recent case in Tipperary?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Public is NEVER kept up to date on progress of an investigation. AGS will generally issue a press release when a file is sent to the DPP or someone is arrested. Apart from that, AGS keep schtum.

So are we being kept in the dark, or are we waiting for something to happen.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭chooseusername

“Usually following any shooting incident and investigation the public are kept up to speed on any progress and it is made public when a file has been sent to the office of the DPP or someone has been charged.”

So has a file been sent to the DPP already?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Where I am - rural farmland area - I've seen cars speed down the road, then a guy gets out with a gun (I couldn't tell the difference between a rifle and a shotgun even up close so no idea which) and run into a field, let off a few shots, then back into the car again, speed down the road to another gate and do the same. All nearby to a Wildlife Reserve and where all the farmers have signs on gates saying No Hunting but these guys don't seem to care. Also plagued by lampers at times to the point where they've kept me awake as they're so near to the house shining the huge lights.

Ehhh, I don't think you quite understand the point I made.

That's a question I'd like to know the answer to myself, it's been 7 months now since the man was shot collecting golf balls. The person responsible was identified the evening of the incident.

You said; "the public are kept up to speed on any progress" - but they're not. AGS don't do progress updates.

As I said, they provide updates when someone is arrested, or charged, or a file is sent to the DPP, which is covered in the example that you linked to. I've no idea why you said that I was completely wrong, given that the example you share was covered in my outline.

You're cherry picking at my post to try and create an arguement I have no interest in, I don't think you comprehend the difference between "is being prepared" and "has been sent"?

Did you read the banner headline on the link I posted and notice who it was posted by?

• Advertisement

Yes, I read the banner headline, I noticed who it was posted by, and I read the two line report on the person who had been arrested and released.

If no one has been arrested and released, and no file has been prepared for the DPP, there's no update from AGS. This does not indicate any conspiracy of silence.

I've wasted enough of my time on you Andrew, I now realise you are just one of those guys on the internet who for some reason can never admit they are wrong.

Even when the evidence of why you are wrong is presented to you in plain and simple language from the official website of An Garda Síochána.

Slán Andrew.

I'm not wrong. That update from AGS was about a situation where someone had been arrested, released, and a file sent to the DPP.

That's one of the situations that I mentioned where AGS provide updates.

Assuming that no one has been arrested, no file has been sent to the DPP in this case, AGS aren't going to be providing updates.

There is no reason to assume some conspiracy of silence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Was this the group in wetsuits collecting golf balls in the lake and ...

"..The individual who discharged the shot remained at the scene, along with his hunting companions, and assisted gardaí in their initial enquiries...".

Post edited by Flinty997 on

No your point is easy enough to understand.

Anyway,the golf ball man was shot at, the hurler wasn't.

Your other example; 'Limerick man shot in the back' was shot at, the hurler wasn't. Do you not see the difference?

Yeah Flinty, well I could be wrong but that's the only one I recall anyway that happened on a golf course at night last summer.

Do you have any updates on it?

I see a big difference chooosy.

The man that shot the golf ball man is as far as we know still shooting away on golf courses with legally held firearms at night or anytime he chooses. Despite what you claim is the fact that he shot at and hit a member of the public.

Is it okay to shoot someone who is collecting lost golf balls but illegal to shoot someone you suspect is trying to harm you, your family or your home?

Are there different laws for golf clubs and council estates?

I assume you're not allowed to play golf in council estate. Maybe its different in a private estate.

None.

I do think double booking a golf course for night hunting and night diving in wet suits is probably a conflict that could have been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Local media reporting that a hunter has been interviewed by AGS after coming forward late last week.

A number of firearms and ammunition have been sent for ballistic testing.

The investigation is ongoing.

Advertisement