Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday with Ryan Tubridy on Q102/96FM/LMFM/Live95

Options

Comments

How long until we see this? 🧐 He’s only a few roads away. “And he asked me in for tea” will be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

i wonder when tubs name checks the station and its web/social media handles, does the average listener in say cork or louth know that it's a pre-recorded syndicated show for that station and the other stations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am a below average listener, and I figured it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭GSF

😂 similarly I’m guessing the Mail column will be ghost written for him. The Saturday weekly Boris Johnson column looks to be

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Very interesting, no one even comments on the Sunday Irish only networked show anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not even slightly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

I think there are 2 main reasons. The first is that the people who usually tune into local radio on weekend mornings are older and don't post on boards. I'd love to know their thoughts on what has been foisted upon them, a few weeks in.

The second is that there's nothing of interest being said by Tubridy. By the description of it, it's a voice tracked programme crashed together in a rush. I hope this particular weekend experiment bombs. It's bad enough that radio stations are increasingly being bought up by the likes of Bauer and being consolidated. Having locally produced radio programmes pushed aside so that Ryan Tubridy can maintain a lifestyle to which he has become accustomed is a step too far. And seeing as he's aiming his weekday show at Irish people only, the weekend add-in is even more pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Is it a cost saving exercise to have him on day time on virgin and this recorded (ish) drivel on other stations?

He's certainly actually earning the few bob they're paying him now as opposed to pocketing a handsome sum for doing sh$t all on rte.

I could offer some insight that I have heard from those older request show listeners around the country in each of the 4 regions but its unpostable here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 john457

The 96FM Facebook comments are very negative when they put up that Ryan Tubridy will be on at 10am on Sunday. A mixture of wanting Oldies and Irish back in its old 4 hour format, and saying they are heading over to JP on C103 until 12. Don’t underestimate that the older audience are on Facebook. They are there in spades and make it very clear they are!

Post edited by john457 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Radiomeister

Well,for the sake of accuracy, if you go to the 96 fm Facebook page,you have 83 comments, 70 plus comments asking for Derry O'Callaghan's programme to be reinstated in full,with almost all saying they don't tune in until 12,some more berating the decision and so on and ( almost) every other poster who mentions C103 stating they were tuning back at 12 to hear Derry.

Great to see! Up the Rebel County!

How tone deaf can they be to all of this its the same on the fb's of the other 3 stations.

I know plenty of folks who miss their request shows. Such an out of touch with your audience move.

I truly hope + pray this is reflected in disastrous JNLR's.

If someone in the Limerick, Cork or North East areas really want to listen to Tubridy, they should tune him to him on-line on Q102 or Virgin

These Sunday shows are really un-necessary - what a shame.

It's hardly Terry Wogan on Century or Rick Dees !!

And even Terry bless him gave up after saying "blue skies" after it was raining in Dublin!

Even Ryan Seacrest has improved and is networked over half of planet earth. He still manages to hold station format within doing "bits" and using song intros and it all flows in a similar timeslot on KIIS, Z100 and syndicated everywhere. He also manages to hide the fact he is in LA (and in NYC) differing timezones even.

The entire culture of Sunday morning radio (outside Dublin) in Ireland since the Superpirates is one of respect, homeliness, trad tunes and or old standards and oldies. There was and IS nothing wrong with it or saying Happy 90th birthday to your Granny! Hey that meant that probably 20 or 30 households were tuned in before mass - thats just how it works. Not everyones Hot Rockin' Flame Throwin' cup of tea but it is a tradition and held mammoth figures right round the country in each and every county since the late 70s, 80s and most of the legals knew it made sense to continue these shows on into the 90s (hence why Derry's show ran for 30+ years at 96 in Cork without question.) (And why 103fm is where they'll tune) Rather like a Sunday fry up its just "done" rather like how a Russian might take a straight neat shot of Vodka while others look on in cowering dismay. It is just Irish, life? Really?

The most untrained ear can HEAR this rabbiting "show" is voicetracked and his interests bear no relation to real people in Sunday morning Ireland where they'd rather hear the death notices, Ray Stone sounding like Telstar Radio in 1982 and maybe Red Hurley or Roger Whitakker or Dana? Lord only knows but not some D4 Spoofer talking about The Tube, Art Galleries, Reading for 4 minutes a lecture on that, a much fawned and fake "tribute" to Dolores O'Riordain - where in the same link he switches to a light hearted story??? WTF?

Its all about himself - and nobody cares. Least of all the people of Cork, Limerick, Dublin, Louth and especially not Meath who have had their Live, local interactive Sunday mornings taken away to be replaced with "Tubs swashbuckling adventures in The Big Smoke" a show voicetracked in less than 20 minutes perhaps days before. In another country.

Again,with respect,there's a bit more going in in Cork.You don't stay top of the JNLR playing Opera and 'old music'.

There's real connection.There's an ever changing curated playlist ( Derry is a former programme controller),third level graduate,Gaeilgeoir,quizzes,entertainment.In many respects,head and shoulders above Tubridy.

There's a lot if misinformation being put out by posters who have never listened.The show is many things but it's not local! Yes,local requests but also from all over the world,no ' Cork songs',almost no Cork artists!

A superior product,plain and simple.

Another example,his ' third hour',now his ' first hour',ie 12 to 1 is built around his ' Song for juniors'! Go figure!

And another thing! Wireless know they have a major problem.Tubs voice tracked and all is now talking Cork, Cork Cork,on the basis this will help and also introducing ' Derry O.C and the oldies and irish ' before signing off,hoping/ praying to curry favour and do some damage limitation!

Or how about an opera hour on a local station with more listeners than most shows on Lyric FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 john457

it’s about connection with an older audience and 96FM and C103 do it so well.

Tubridy was talking about how great Saltburn was on of his first shows on a Sunday morning. Really? And famous actors.

Utterly, utterly tone deaf to the audience.

They want nice music and human live interaction and local connection. Elmarie and Conor of ‘the Arts House’ (8 to 10 on 96FM and C103)are superb at that and so are Derry on 96FM, and JP and John on C103 at that time.

An unchanging tradition of friendly radio on Sunday morning. With most importantly very good ratings.

I had heard Derry's show and appreciate the fact he is unique and on another level. I think the common thing here and also when talking about Limerick local radio not just Cork and the other areas is that live, interactive, local connection that has been lost.

They know they have got it wrong.

• Advertisement

Yes,Enda,they definitely know they've got it wrong. However,from a commercial perspective,it probably made sense before the ongoing,universal backlash.( I mean they hardly realised that all the members of Cork Co.council were listening to the ' city' show!!).No,they were focused on pre-selling RT to the advertising agencies.What better way than to give him the show with the largest audience in situ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

I assume this was pushed on the radio stations as part of the deal. It reminds me of the way films used to be sold to TV stations back in the day. If you wanted to show the latest Tom Cruise blockbuster you'd also have to buy the rights to significantly less popular or good films.

It's obvious that NK is extracting every possible cent out of this in order to keep Tubridy's pay cheque at something near where it had been. So even though he's gone from RTE and we're currently not paying his wages, the collateral damage continues. I've never listened to much weekend local radio myself but I've got a pretty good idea what it entails. I think getting rid of these well liked morning shows is the most obnoxious move of the entire project. I hope listeners turn off in their droves and that we don't see this being repeated elsewhere. If they come for weekend shows, who's to say they won't do similar with the weekday ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I think the key thing here is the ownership of the stations. These stations (as well as FM104 and C103) are owned by Wireless Ireland, which is part of the Wireless Group who also own Virgin Radio UK. The Wireless Group is a subsidiary of News Corp, which was founded by Rudolph Murdoch. In other words, they are all part of Rudolph Murdoch's global media empire.

"When greed takes over, you have what you have now"

With respect, Declan that doesn't make it right. These licences were given to the people of Ireland to create home local radio for the people of Ireland, locally in local area studios live and direct. It negates the idea of local radio. The same argument is ongoing in the UK with the killing of big city stations like Radio City 96.7 FM etc.by Bauer and how the BBC have decimated Local BBC services.

Newer, small scale DABs dont have the budgets signals or programming to compete. In Ireland there is no DAB and little of difference or local RTE services so perhaps online radio will see a growth in people listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I was merely pointing out how this arrangement came about. I wasn't suggesting that it was necessarily a good thing.

Sure Declan, understood!

Murdoch the man who hired a PI to chase Chris Cary round the world to ensure Interpol caught him in Auckland New Zealand.

Not a man to be on the wrong side of.

You might depend if Tubs owed him 150k in overpaid wages he would not be too slow to recoup every red cent of it back from Ireland's most legendary broadcaster of all time.

In the near future, sadly these local stations will be re-branded as Q Cork, Q Limerick etc. with Tubs gone from Virgin UK and him occupying the 9am slot on these Q stations, with syndicated wall to wall music shows built around him and interspersed with local news and ads.

Yes, only a matter of time. It also will result in job losses. Lots and lots of job losses and we will see how many of those made redundant shall comtinue to "like" social media posts promoting Tubridy or come on here to "check what Caldwell's saying." - Hi Liam Coburn! We shall see then after how many of them get hired for other stations and where they can go. Also how many of them end up "working on more stations than most people have had dental appoimtments" - if they can find any stations locally and hiring, that is.

The ownership and control is from London, not Dublin anymore. And they will either sell / buy up whats left to suit themselves.

Isn't this the very point on which the wireless telegraphy act 1988 was brought in all because RTE resented 2 british gents who showed them up on their own home soil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Industries change. That’s life. The era of the local “jock” spinning records and reading out birthday wishes might be coming to an end. Like print media. Can see further consolidation and syndication taking place.

• Advertisement

Wrong again Mr.Dugnutt.The programme in Cork presented by Derry is the market leader,ahead of ALL ( just to make it clear to you) national,local and quasi- national stations ( see quote on echo.live).

Also it has premium sponsorship, and promotions.To get an advertisement on during Derry's show,all advertisers pay a premium,yes,even for ' spot' advertising.

Radio station bosses have dreams about radio properties like this.It will not be subsumed.

Advertisement