Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday with Ryan Tubridy on Q102/96FM/LMFM/Live95

Options
  • 07-01-2024 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

On air now, it's obviously voice tracked, no listener Interaction, back to back classic hits with bits of Tubridy chit chatting in between, Tubs sounds like he recorded the links in a hurry. There is going to be alot anger in rural areas about the long running heritage "hospital requests" type shows and hosts that got the bullet to make room for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭chilloutrelax

That’s is for the reminder to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

I sincerely hope it has a catastrophic effect on these stations for piping that talentless freak show into earshot of unsuspecting local radio audiences when the medium is on its arse and actually considerably more talented individuals with discernable qualities and abilities are sidelined for that useless abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Muph89

Leaving aside the whole RTE payment scandal and any other issues people have with him, I don't know why the wireless group have hired Tubs to be a glorified Classic Hits Jock, whatever about the day job in London, shoehoring this pre-Recorded job onto local stations cutting long running live shows that have been around since the pirate era shows a complete lack of understanding of the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Totally agree - Sunday Morning on locals are one of the few times DJ’s could play a request or an oldie..

Aweful Decision !!

I like Tubs - just hope he is not being used to get a couple of weeks of PR.....,...and then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I can hear both Q102 and LMFM. LMFM was ahead of Q by 35 seconds one time I counted. It was definitely more than that earlier when I was in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So more of the same as his weekday DJ job, just worse?

Jayzuz how the mighty have fallen. I’m not really a conspiracy theorist but if you said to me this is all a ruse to just get some negotiation power in order to get back into RTÉ I’d believe you- except for the fact that his weekday show is terrible and this sounds like radio hell- he won’t get anything better doing this sho1te that’s for sure.

I'm afraid to go outside, in case there is rioting on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭chrisd2019

More lightly to be a riot of discontent on the wireless tomorrow at 1345 if the bold Joe wants to spread a bit of devilment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Be right back

Peed off that they cut Derry O'Callaghan's show in half Sunday morning for this.

Joe has started his run for the Áras. He won't want to ruffle any feathers. It could be like 1916 where the men were unpopular at first, but the public came on their side when they started getting a hard time. The same could happen with Tubridy, if it is perceived that he is being persecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

what is the point of this Tubridy show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

So that his Irish listeners don't forget he is still around? Laying the groundwork for a return to Irish radio...

After people listening to week 1 of his show it seems particularly pointless. Lots of Irish people listened anyway and he didn't try too hard to appeal to his new audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

In fairness I think lots listened in simply to get the handle on what sort of show was being produced- it’s worse than awful that’s the best I can say about it- and I’m not saying that because it’s Tubridy- your favourite broadcaster no matter who it is, couldn’t make this into something worth listening to.

Listening figures will fall dramatically next week if they haven’t already- it’s a complete pig of a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Won't be listening. Boring on Radio and TV. Nothing to do with the 'scandal'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The thing with those request shows on Mucksavage FM where Bernie and Eugene are wished a happy 60th wedding anniversary and the presenter plays some Big Tom is that the listenership are being put into a coffin and dropped into the ground.

Tubridy’s show is about Virgin trying to keep their portfolio of local stations relevant to a younger demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Radiomeister

Cork Co.council passes unanimous motion to back reinstatement of the Derry O' Callaghan show on 96FM.Letters being sent to 96FM management and to Minister for Communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

His hours are being reduced.

What has this private company (wireless) got to do with the Cork county council ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Someone should run on that platform at the next general election. Like the TV deflector candidates in the 90s but even more farcical

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Radiomeister

Yes,reduction in hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

So, Derry O'Callaghan had his hours reduced on 96FM and seemingly Ray Stone has lost his program on Sundays on LMFM. Who has been affected on Sundays on Dublin's Q102 and Limerick's Live 95?

Edit: I can understand why FM104 is not included because of its style of music, etc. I am just curious about the other Wireless-owned Cork station C103. Is there a reason why it was not chosen for this, or, alternatively, why 96FM ("The Best Music Mix") rather than C103 ("Cork's Greatest Hits")?

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users Posts: 16 john457

I think I can answer why C103 didn’t get Ryan Tubridy and 96FM did.

Between 10am and 2pm C103 is split across the county with two shows running at the same time. One is for West Cork (from Bandon) and one broadcasts to North and East Cork and the city (from Mallow)

It’s the last remaining opt out on C103 (there used to be 10am to 6pm Monday to Friday) and if Ryan Tubridy was to take over 10 to 12 with a pre recorded show from London that would go down really bad.

That’s my thinking on it. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭GSF

Can’t they just shove Tubridy on to the 8am to 10am slot? After all it’s pre recorded

wHat time is Sunday mass on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It would make a mockery of "independent radio" if political interference was allowed to force programming on anyone other than RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Hello!! Is there anybody in there...? Comfortably Numb!

Anyone got the networked cringefest on today on "your favourite local radio station(s) " (insert generic station name or instshandle here) and "we'll take a break" (which is advertising ME and my new Diary of a Horace Wimp aged 12 and 3/4)

It beggars belief! Can't wait to see the JNLR's come 6-12 months should it make it that far without being replaced by the previous shows and programming.

EDIT: "Aaaahhhaaaaaaaaaaa!!"

Post edited by Enda Caldwell on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭GSF

Now now we should be grateful that he gives up his weekend to keep the poor people of Ireland entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

The irony being he does not!!! The show is rattled off in 20 mins during the week of a Friday after 1pm when the main carcrash ends. The "minions" chop it up and send out 4 versions of it to Zetta playout by RCS with bare mentions of station instagram ID etc.

Still no local live content, localisation or licence compliant content just me myself and I style incoherent ramblings, divisive opinions, detailed scattergun namedropping sessions, Late Late anecdotes (wearing thin already) and unfinished thought processes and sentences

Never more than a minute away from another namedropping blitz.... !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

I wonder how long will this weekend show last for? I haven't bothered listening but it sounds like an extra add-on that nobody really wanted. Tubridy has enough on his plate as it is (I can't believe I've just said that). This seems to be a generic show crashed together in a hurry and shipped out to the radio stations.

In a way, it's mirroring the Toy Show Musical. Before everyone found it what a **** show it was, the concerns were about how it'd affect the existing pantomimes in Dublin. It was felt that RTE muscling in on their territory and using its might to hoover up audiences and advertise on its stations. Now we're seeing home grown radio programmes being affected by an imported one.

• Advertisement

As long as Tubsidy/NK can focus on keeping all the Insta Bernie’s, Brenda’s & Breda’s content, that seems to be market max.

Advertisement