Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2024

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sorbet

One small step for mankind, one giant leap for me - broke 100 for the first time. I’ve never managed to score well on 18 holes since I started playing last year. My best ever has been in the low twenties, once got 17 points in a 9 hole competition.
    So imagine my surprise when I shot 7 over for the front 9 this morning off a course handicap of 26. I couldn’t believe it - never been anywhere close to that. 24 points on the front nine. Normal service returned on the back 9 with two scratch holes and 14 points but delighted overall. Just proves that it’s possible I can improve 😀. Had I done a bit better on the back 9 would have been in with a shout of winning the comp.

Big learning for me was that at my level one good shot per hole is the difference between scoring and scratching so keep at it.

Out in the morning and no doubt will be back to 120 but at least now I know I can string a good round together. Future looks bright 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭testtech05

Well done, must be a great feeling. I had my best round so far last night in a casual round of 106, makes me believe that maybe I might be able to break 100 this year. As you mentioned avoiding too many scratches and wild shots seems to be key to me at the minute too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭coillcam

Had a bit of a blow up 95 in our intermediate scratch last week. Started well with a par and a couple of bogeys. After that I just couldn't put two good shots together. Ignoring a small bit of bad luck, the rest was consistently poor. Just couldn't string two decent shots together, made a sloppy error on most holes and couldn't make a putt. High 30s for total putts to give you an idea.

The prev week I lost an inter-club singles to a 30ft+ putt on 18 in Tullamore. I was gutted but could only shake the lad's hand and say fair play. He made another monster on 10 that without the flagstick was destined for the far bunker :D.

For a large part of the match I was in control. Missed a 4ft birdie on the par3 2nd, he was in a tricky shortside swail and nearly holed it before gave him the par putt. After 9 I was 1 up. At that point I'd matched him save for his lost ball on the 5th. Was a cool -1 for the 3x front 3s.

Back 9 he made that monster on 10 and I missed a 15ft for birdie to drop to all square. On 11 he lost a ball and I par'd it to go 1 up. Heavy tee shot landed short on 12 and didn't get up/down so a half after he was in position z with no shot in. 13 was poor from both and we halved. 14 I bombed my drive and straight pushed my 7w into trees after he had to chip out to the fairway. I reloaded and got off the hook as we both carded awful triples. 15 was halved after I dropped a 12ft putt for 6 (missed wedge approach and terrible chip went off the fringe down a runoff - very lucky to half tbh). 16 he birdied from 6ft and I was miles off with my chip to pull level. 17 I chunked a heavy tee shot at the last par 3 which he par'd and I couldn't get up/down before dropping 1 down.

With the honour on 18 he blasted miles to the right and flubbed his recovery even worse. I was blocked by trees and decided not to try a big cut from 190yds as he likely needed 4 to get to the green. Pitched back to position and left a 95 yd approach. For some reason I backed off slightly and landed just on the front with 40ft left for par at a back pin. He did need 4 to get to the green and was left with 30ft for his 5th. I lagged to inches and thought the match was being extended but you know the rest.

The front 9 was really good and my mid-short irons were generally excellent. My downfall was the stretch from 13-17 as well as 2x awful chips and 2x 3-putts which were all avoidable. Hard to shake the feeling that I should have been 2 or even 3 up after 15. Nonetheless, I can't take anything away from my opponent, he made two bombs, as well as a clutch birdie-par on 16/17 to tip the scales. Matchplay is a different class and inter-clubs even more so. It really magnifies the best and worst you have to offer. More importantly, we got through as a team and hopefully, I get the nod for the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭blue note

I played my 2 rounds on my annual trip with my college mates at the weekend. It's often the worst golf I play every year. One of the group is off +3, I'd be next best at 13 or so and then you've probably another 10 shots to the next lowest guy. One of the group said to me one year there really is him (the plus 3) and the rest of us in terms of golfing ability. Now, I'm not so delusional that I think I'm on a similar level to the +3 lad, but I was quite offended that I'm being lumped in with the 30 handicappers. But in fairness, I didn't argue. In about 10 rounds with them, I'm not sure I've ever broken 30 points.

So was this to be the year? I'd played 6 rounds so far this year and broke 40 points twice, broke 36 another two times, a 35 pointer and a 27 in huge winds. This was not to be the year - 29 points both days.

We played Coollatin the first day and Woodenbridge the second. I didn't play too badly the first day, but it's a tricky course. And usually I get a few extra shots for a playing handicap, but not there. The more I play different courses, the more I think this new handicap system isn't set up to rate tricky courses. Trees really come into play on the course (whereas on most courses they mainly come into play when you go offline). I had 7 pars and a birdie, so the good wasn't bad at all. But I just couldn't get the hang of the shorter shots all day long. The next day in woodenbridge I stank out the place, but had the same points. It was as hungover a round as I've played in the last few years. I should have hit irons off every tee as I was in no fit state to drive. But in fairness, I made a few pars and bogeys and stuck in a bird so had a respectable 29 points again. I'd just love some year to actually play well on that trip. I don't care about prizes, I'd just love a 38 point round or something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Played a fund-raiser scramble around Castleknock this evening. My first time there, it's a lovely well-maintained course and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My golf was good without being anything to write home about, apart from crushing a drive 50 yards past the Longest Drive marker, but it rolled out into the semi-rough, so didn't count.

This round proved to me that I need to warm up properly before playing, actually hitting balls on a range or into a net. It took me 4 or 5 holes to get into the swing of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭blue note

I got out for my first round in deer park since joining. A medal, so I got the full course experience. And a comp I couldn't win because I'm a member less than a year which I think is utterly daft, but only a problem in principle. In practice it did not matter.

I felt I played okay, struck it well for the most part. I picked up on 17 so didn't have a score. Had it been stableford I'd have had 31 points which is respectable. Some days it's hard to pinpoint what went wrong, but today it was easy. Losing 8 balls from the tee was the issue. 2 drives and 1 iron pulled badly. Of the 5 drives lost to the right only 1 was a wicked slice. The other 4 I was hopeful of finding - a combo of tight lines and pushing them a bit. Some days none is them would be lost. Today, anything that could be was.

So no good score today, but I think there's a good one there for another day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finally strung a good round together today. 40 points with two scratches. First scratch was silly, as I didn't hit a provisional after pushing my 3w right, for reasons I can't quite figure out. 2nd was unlucky, with my drive just ending oob on the 13th (with is index one in my mind).

The rest was really good though. Hit some cracking tee shots, breaking my previous distance record twice today. 354 yards through the back of the 5th, and 342 yards down the middle of the 7th. Had 3 birdies and 7 pars.

First time in months that I felt in control of the ball. Knew what caused the bad shots, and wasn't questioning my swing on every shot. Hope I can keep it up in Roganstown on Friday and Esker on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

After having a few mare's which I posted here, last 3 rounds, 37, 35, 35. Major improvement the last few rounds and have actually dropped a shot, when I was expecting to go up.

Hopefully it continues, some stupid scratches on each of those 3 rounds above, plus a few good putts just millimeters out from par's or birdies. Onwards and upwards.

• Administrators Posts: 53,655 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And a comp I couldn't win because I'm a member less than a year 

This is weird, what's the thinking behind this rule?

I can understand people not being allowed to win medals if they haven't got a fully developed WHI, but requiring you to be a member for a year seems nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭finglashoop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭token56

I was representing our club in the Barton Cup this weekend, got the win in my match but unfortunately lost the tie overall. This was my second match for the club in the BC but the first one I started the first 4 holes horrible and was very nervous but having come through, winning and realising I don't need to play perfect golf I felt a lot better this time around. We were playing against a very similar pairing, a low handicap (3ish) with mid handicaps (12ish) me being the mid handicap of course and ended up playing in the same order so I treated it as though I just had to play the other mid handicap.

We started very strongly getting 3 up through 4 with two birdies on the way with my recent short game practice really paying dividends here and never really let them back into it then. Complete opposite to the last match. Through 14 we 4 up and level par for the round. A bit of bad luck on both 15 and 16 we ended up loosing those but a comfortable half on 17 gave us the match. We had the 3 home matches and another one was won comfortable on 13 but the last went down the 18 being all square. To be fair the other team sunk a great 25 foot sliding putt for birdie to win it. I'm sure there were other ups and downs in that match I didn't see but talking about it afterwards sounds like one they felt they should have won. And we lost the two away matches on 17 and 18.

Disappointing for the run to end like it did but despite the nerves I really enjoyed the competitive side of it. Definitely gives you confidence and teaches you a lot about your game playing alongside better quality players in that environment. One of the biggest for me being course management and seeing how they think about their shots. Also just dealing with your nerves and concentrating on your shots, in particular your putts.

That's the end of representing the club this year but still one maybe two match play comps within the club itself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Advertisement