Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2024

Options
  • 05-01-2024 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Sure I might as well kick off this thread. Got out for my first round in 3 months today - a free one in portmarnock links and was genuinely nervous before it. Having not touched a club in that time I was nervous of hitting it anywhere and everywhere and ending up running from shot to shot just to not hold up the people be behind us.

I encountered my first problem sooner than expected. I couldn't close the top button on my trousers. It's a worry when your problems start when getting dressed in the morning. Twas a good Christmas I suppose. Then the plan was to get to the club early, have a few putts and chips and a stretch and hit a few balls into the nets. Instead I went straight to the first tee where my playing partners were ready to go. And my first tee shot was shocking - nailed a 4 utility straight down the middle. Many possibilities went through my head for that shot, that wasn't one.

Playing off 15 on that course, I started with a par then two bogeys. Then missed a three footer for par on the next and three putted for bogey on the one after. Parred the next two. Lost my drive in the sun on 8 and thinned one OB on 9, but made doubles on both taking 3 from the tee. So after 9 I was +8 and confident because I was striking it really well. Other than the tee shot on 9 I hadn't hit any really bad shots so after starting the day hoping to not embarrass myself too badly I turned thinking I could beat my handicap.

I parred the next 5, so that was nice. Couldn't understand why I came up short on 15 having hit my gap wedge really well on the tee ... then put my sand wedge back into my bag. That was a really stupid way to break the run. And I compounded it with a three putt for double bogey. Parred and bogeyed the next two. Then three putted the last for double to finish. 38 points - very happy days.

So on the downside three three putts, but on the upside 9 pars and I was delighted with how I struck it all day. I really do love that course - it's easily the one I score best on. Unfortunately I didn't join a new club yet so couldn't submit the round.

Can't wait to go there with the soc in April!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

24 points over 12 holes today. Didn't play particularly well, but scored well on a few holes. Driving wasn't great, was pushing it right a bit more than i'd like, and putting was poor missing a birdie and an eagle putt, but happy enough overall. Nice to get out when its not raining 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

+1 gross off 11 for the front 9 at Pebble Beach.

But it was on trackman range sim 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭bobster453

Havent played this year yet

First rain closed the course then today frost has closed it

Must be great to be able to play 18 all year round.

Might be able to post a score before boards society kicks off in march😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played In the new winter league on the 1st

31 points with a rare scratch. Driver is a struggle at the minute but played well aside from that. Think it had me playing off 8 on the day.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When it comes to getting a new handicap, do the 3 (or 6 x 9) cards have to be done during a competition, or can you just get someone to mark your card during casual golf so long as the course is in qualifying condition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Played in a 9 hole competition at the weekend and had 22 points not feeling like I played that well at all. Course was still a bit frozen over when starting and questionable as to whether they should have waited another 30 minutes before opening the course. Frosty ground resulted in some dodgy short game play on the first hole and a bogey as a result but got to grips then afterwards.

My driving was a bit off the whole round but I'm working on some swing changes at the moment and doing speed training too so not overly concerned. Working hard on my chipping at the moment too and definitely seeing improvements and the highlight of the round was a birdie on our longest par 5 after a great chip into a difficult pin. I'm using Dan Grieve for a bit of inspiration on this and just trying to have two basic short game shots, a lowish runner type of shot but can change the club to vary roll out depending on pin position. Still learning what club is best in different situations, and a higher shot with less run out. Realistically for my handicap if I'm anywhere within 10 or 20 yards of the green at worse I need to be getting down in 3 and if better then great, so my focus is just hitting the green with any chip and giving myself a comfortable two putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

It can be casual golf once you've a member as marker and course is qualifying condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Highly unlikely they would be from a competition as you couldn't enter one without a handicap.

Cards can be marked by anyone with a GUI and marker should write their number on the card as well as signing. Some clubs prefer or insist that some or all of your cards are on the course you're a member of. Check with your pro shop or handicap committee first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Certain tee boxes might need to be used as well. Most will allow you to book a slot in the comp to get the card signed as well , I'd just email the handicap sec and see what he says.

We have the qualifying for our winter league going on this week. It's a bit of a weird format, 6 rounds qualifying, 3 x 12 hole singles with the best 2 counting and 3 x 15 hole again with the best 2 counting, also in any given week you can reenter once. It's been a bit delayed with the weather in December and the frost then but the course was in great condition this week and I managed to get out both Saturday and Sunday. This week then was the last of the 12 hole singles.

Saturday, similar to the previous week I didn't feel like I was playing particularly well, certainly my driving accuracy is very poor but managed to pull together 29 points thanks again to major improvements in my chipping.

Today was a real tale of two halves. An early start and no real chance to warm up, the first 6 holes I had 6 points and I think I hit one fairway during those. The next 6 holes I managed to get the driver working and hit 5 fairways, level par for the 6 holes and 18 points to finish with 24. An odd round but happy to have finished strongly.

• Advertisement

9 hole singles placing

23 points

4 over gross

Par first 2 bogey 3rd birdie 4th bogey 5th bogey 6th par 7th Stupid bogies on last 2 holes

Overall happy given conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

first game back since November yesterday and the results were not pretty.

Parred the first hole with a nice little 6 foot par saver.

Trouble began on second hole with a topped wedge (sure sign I haven't played in a long time). still had a chance of a par but was very unfortunate with a bad bump on the green on my par saver.

Lost ball off the third tee box, another lost one of the 5th. In the water of the tee on the 8th.. etc etc Really nice to be out, need to get to the range to tighten up the swing..

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Corballis? Played sunday afternoon, greens sure were bumpy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

yep, reckon I fixed 100 pitch marks. The course is getting so much traffic at the minute, Sunday is the members comp, saturdays are all booked out with societies, 3 opens during the week plus that race to 59. Its a wonder its as good as it is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Played my first round of 2024 today, 11-hole competition in my home course. 67 shots leading to 11 points off 17 (H.I. 24.2). I won't be affecting the prizes! :-)

I'd done a small bit of work over the last month, with a lesson changing my grip and parts of my backswing, so I wasn't sure how this would go. As I expected, the golf was very uneven, but the swing changes helped and I was more confident standing over the ball. As usual, improving one area just pointed out the issues in other areas - a lot of work on pitching and chipping needed.

The course was in good shape, considering. A number of soft areas and the greens were quite bumpy, but for the end of January it was fine, and good weather made it a pleasure to play. Looking forward to a fun 2024 golf season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good luck with the changes TrueDub. Swing changes are hard, and it takes persistence to stick with them. But they should pay off in the long term.

Hopefully by the time the qualifying season kicks off they'll feel comfortable (I'm hoping for the same myself after winter lessons)

27 points over 14 holes on Friday. Driving was all over the place, hitting only 2 fairways, but the rest of my game was decent. Should be starting the Spring league this coming weekend, so looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Shot 84 around the old course in Headfort today in very windy conditions. Playing off 18.5, that's my best score ever so I'm very happy with it.

Driver was going as well as it has in recent memory. Stuck one OB which cost me. The rest were pretty good.

The ground was very soft in places too, making chipping a nightmare. My short game is normally pretty good but I duffed quite a few today on the soft ground. Overall I'm really happy with how it went but can't help thinking it could've been better if not for some silly mistakes and if I got the short game going. Feeling fairly positive about the season ahead. (Famous last words)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I've shot 80 3 times but never managed to go one lower. I played portmarnock links and was +3 on the front 9. I had a double on the 8th which I was happy enough about after having to reload on the fairway. Other than that 7 pars and a bogey is very good shooting for someone playing off 15. I had shaky bogeys on 10 and 11, a good bogey on 13 (index 1 into the wind) and two very useful birdies on 12 and 14 (downwind par 5s).

So that left me needing to be +4 on the last four holes for a 79. The 15th and 17th are relatively easy par 3s, 16th a downwind par 4 and 18th a downwind par 4 with a temp tee at the start of the fairway making it driveable).

I did the smart thing and had a pint since my playing partners were before teeing off on 15. I'm 38 and hopefully will be beyond succumbing to peer pressure when I'm 39. Went slightly left with my tee shot. It clipped the side of the bunker and rolled in. I hit a great shot out but missed the 3 footer for par. I absolutely nailed my drive down the fairway on 16. Turns out they added a fairway bunker which I obviously went into. It was fair enough going in and I wasn't stupid about getting out and just made sure I did. But I can't deny I was annoyed which probably contributed to a duffed pitch and an over hit chip through the green. I ended up with a 7. On the 17th tee 2 pars would yield a 79. 17 was into the wind which isn't good given the height I hit the ball. I just leaked left of the green but left my chip about 2 feet from the pin. Then I missed the putt. Onto the 18th tee needing a birdie. It's very doable given the wind and the tee. I nailed the drive again - but it leaked into the bunker back right of the green. I splashed out well and gave the bird a rattle, but it wasn't to be. I tapped in for an 80. I'm disappointed not to get a round in the 70s, but it was nice getting close again!

I don't know what it is about that course, but it's by far the one I play best on. It's just a shame I couldn't submit the score for my handicap, I could do with a low one. I don't have my pin yet for my new golf Ireland number.

I played Craddockstown on Wednesday, and had 5 birdie and 1 eagle putt in the first 6 holes 👍️

Missed all the putts though (including the birdie after the eagle attempt) 👎️

• Advertisement

12 hole comp today.Scratched 1st..which never happens..db 2nd and bogey 3rd..only 3 pts after 3 holes.

Finished with 27pts including clutch putt for birdie on 18th after good approach to win the fiver off each of 3 buddies.💵

Chipping really good..have Corballis to thank for that last week..amazing what good ground conditions can do.

They might be small but green shoots are appearing aftet a long winter.🌱

Played 18 yesterday in a fourball, and was very up and down. Started really well with a birdie and 3 pars (should have been 3 birdies tbh), but went to complete **** from holes 5-9. Recovered somewhat on the back nine, but didn't score particularly well. Still had 34 points, which i'm happy enough with.

Need to work on my 8i-PW shots. I'm constantly giving myself 20-30+ feet putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭blackbox

26 points. Too many mistakes.

Anyway my handicap is way too low after a few good (lucky) rounds towards the end of last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you're constantly giving yourself 20-30ft putts from 8i-PW, then you're likely performing way above average for your handicap Kiith.

Arccos stats say average proximity for a 5 handicap for 100-124 yards is 45ft

Played a round in Kilkenny golf club at the weekend and the less said about my play the better but I really enjoyed the golf course itself. Despite the rain still in great condition for the most part with challenging fast greens. I don't hear it mentioned often as a popular golf course but I'll be back to play in the summer when hopefully my game is a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Broke 50 for nine holes for the first time ever on Friday playing the front nine in Tralee. Three putt from ~15 feet twice and had a duff here and there but absolutely delighted with it. Still don't have a handicap so need to get out a few more times and collect a few more cards asap. According to Shotscope this is my shots gained for the round vs a scratch golfer so I feel my performance was probably slightly unbalanced…

Is there any way to see those Arccos stats? Love it when stats tell me i'm less **** than i expect🤣

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Thankfully I am on Shotscope.

I am way better than those poor souls. Way better from 150.

**** at putting ATM.

• Advertisement

Just bought the new shotscope today, so looking forward to getting some of those stats again after my v3 died a while back.

Advertisement