Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I want an EV but you've all scared and confused me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

I sold my 171 Ioniq the middle of last year for 12k, it had 212k kilometers on it. If that car has had the gearbox fluid changed and is running perfectly(as advertised),then personally I'd be more than happy to pay 10k for it (if I was in the market).

I would guarantee the OP would be absolutely delighted with it if he was to get into one!

I still miss mine!!😪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Cars have dropped in value quite a bit since then. I’d say sub €10k would be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

Maybe... but still too many dreamers on DD atm, when I was selling mine it was the cheapest up there but currently the cheapest is 14k admittedly with under 100kms.

But if the gearbox oil has been replaced then I wouldn't be at all concerned about the mileage considering the OPs requirements. That car should last a VERY long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The Ioniq a few posts back would be worth 9k as long as the GB oil is done. Perfect for the OP.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Future proofing your options and basically a filling station on your driveway.

Work charging is never guaranteed especially with more EVs being bought by people. Don't rely on it being defacto available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭big_show

Can someone fill me in on the gear box oil change? How often should it be done?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Leaf will be ideal for the amount of driving you are doing if you need to keep costs below 10k. You have a second car for longer trips so you don't have to worry about the longer range.

The problem with you getting an EV is that you will enjoy the drive of it so much you will want to upgrade to an even nicer one.

Definitely worth getting a home charger installed. For no other reason other than it will future proof the house and make it handier if you need a quicker top up. You wouldn't need to rush to get the charger though and can always add that down the line.

Not sure about the comment about someone not using a leaf in the winter because they want to stay warm/the cold? I average about 35km a day in my 30Kwh leaf. One of the beauties of the car is the fact I come out every morning to a warm car with clear windows. Makes getting the kids to school much easier too having a warm car to get into. (Car does need to be plugged in for pre-heating though). If it's because the drop in range I don't find it drops enough to affect my day to day driving. In summer I'm now getting 140-150km and in winter 115-130km

Personally I'd want to change my leaf for only two reasons, a more modern car and bigger range. Do I need the range badly, absolutely not as we have a second car in the house for longer trips, but it would be nice to have it. Do I need a more modern car, probably not but I do like more modern cars with bells and whistles but budget constraints held me back intially.

Chademo will be phased out but I have my leaf coming up on 3 years and have used the fast charger maybe 10 times and that's at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

>somehow manage to snag a 28kw Ioniq >for 12k. Under what circumstance would >that not be an ideal buy? What am I >overlooking in owning an EV that will >introduce more trouble over a ICE?

Ioniq has 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. 8 year 200,000km battery warranty. (Newer models only 160,000km).

The car you buy may be out of general warranty or even all warranty. Any car 24/28/30kWh battery is a bit obsolete these days, most never cars are 60+kWh and available from 20k euro+ with longer warranty etc.

So an ioniq 28kWh for 10k is good value but double battery size for 20k is probably a better buy. If something major goes wrong out of warranty. There are known issues with Ioniq like all cars such as rear wheel abs sensors tend to go at 100,000km and cost 450 euro per side. (Both tend to go). The gearbox oil change is to try prevent a gearbox failure which has happened to some people under warranty. Other smaller known issues but in general the car has a better battery and faster charging than equivalent leaf. Allow a few thousand for future repairs and you may be ok.

Depreciation is probably biggest cost of ownership so try to buy well and haggle and this may reduce impact of depreciation when you go to sell down the line. Used EVs are not selling right now, more supply than demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 AvalonEnaid

Thank you everyone for your input.

After a lot of searching and researching, I have completed the purchase for a 2018 Nissan Leaf (SOH = 89.78%), no rust, 64k km, and it comes with a lot of bells and whistles (ProPILOT, heated seats etc.. etc..)

Congrats on the purchase. There is a Nissan Leaf sub forum in here if you need to ask any questions. Also a home charger forum, both usually on page 1.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Patser

@AvalonEnaid

Type 2 is pretty much the standard charger for all home cars now, it's not to be confused with the fast chargers that you get on motorways. It's been adopted as the type of connection across the board in the EU for all cars from now on. The older Type 1 really only existed for original Leafs. So if you ask for a home charger it'll be Type 2 - unless you expressly get them to dig out a really old Type 1.

As for car, there is a bit of a price war kicking off amongst new Electric Cars, and that is still slowly filtering down through 2nd hand cars - people who spent big a few years ago are slow to admit their car has gone down a lot, so prices could change quite a lot over the next short time. Considering a brand new MG4 350km range is now available for around €27k, people looking for 15 or 16k for 4 year old Leafs or Ioniqs might need to readjust (as well as nearly everyone else all the way up the ladder)

The range you regularly drive, and having a driveway makes you the perfect EV owner - if you have a smart meter and can charge at night, even better as night rates are incredibly cheap.

My recommendations -

If you like a fun car to drive, with beautiful interior but quirkly outside. and little space - get the BMW i3 - with a rex if possible or 94ah battery if not, they are starting to drop to near €10k

Want space for 2 adults, 3 kids and decent boot - Ioniq is better that Leaf IMO

The OP has already purchased a Nissan Leaf. See post #42

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Patser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

• Advertisement

Did it come with the domestic 3 pin granny charger? It's not in the pics or description.

Stay Free

It came with the granny and Type 2 charger. There are only three things that I need to "fix". The NCT is 03/24, no spare key, and get a cover to protect the struts from water.

I'm busy digging around ebay to find a spare key and then find a shop that can program it for me. It seems that asking Nissan to do it attracts a high cost of more than €200. Not sure if its true but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's good it came with both chargers.

The NCT being soon is no concern. Very few issues with the Leaf and none too common with the exception of faster than average battery degradation due to lack of thermal management. Not really an issue in our climate though.

The key spare is going to cost regardless.

Here is an Ebay one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121743221181

Ask these guys too https://www.autokey.ie/key-services/spare-key/

Take a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTC0ILh44Eo&ab_channel=TheDiagnosticBox

The diagnostic tool is about €700, so you won't get it done for much less than €200.

Stay Free

Advertisement