Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Goals/Targets

Options
  • 01-01-2024 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Getting this posted early this year to get people (including myself) thinking about their goals for the upcoming year.

I am not doing any racing beyond 1/2 marathon distance this year. I have soft PBs at my planned race distances with the exception of 5Km PB which was set a few weeks ago.

1. 2,000+ miles for the year.
    2. S&C at least once per week.
    3. Get my diet under control and stop eating like a 5 year old.
    4. If I can sort #3, I should be able to drop 5-10Kg which will aid the PB goals below.
    5. 5Km PB - Current: 21:18 - 20:xx
    6. 10Km PB - Current: 51:14 - 44:xx
    7. 10 mile PB - Current: 1:24:39 - 1:14:xx
    8. 1/2 marathon PB - Current: 1:44:54 - 1:39:xx
    9. Race twice in each of the above distances
    10. Do not buy any running shoes in 2024. I have sufficient redundancy in easy and session shoes. I have one pair of racing shoes which is enough.

Fingers crossed for a great 2024 for everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Not going to bother going back into the 2023 thread, whatever I wrote, I'm certain I've missed them all.

Moving onto 2024

1. 2,500 miles for the year

2. Stay well as best I can, flexibility, strength, diet. With these I've already got momentum rolling. Currently 18 days with zero junk food and that included Christmas.

3. Two marathons lined up, Rotterdam and Valencia, I want PBs in both.

4. I've signed up for the Wicklow 200k, not sure what I've got myself into as never done anything like it before but mainly to keep the cycling up as I've seen some benefits and starting to enjoy it.

5. To run from Marlay to Larragh across the Wicklow Way with a buddy, somewhere between 26 & 30 miles, no date planned as yet but really want to do it.

I'd also love to lower my 5k PB but not sure I'll find the time this year between all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

1. Rotterdam and Dublin marathons
    2. Complete those successfully and everything else is a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

I want to PB all distances I race

5k - Current PB is 19:24. I have a 5k in 8 weeks that I will target but I am conscious of the fact I havent done any running in last 5 weeks, life and injury got in the way. If not, there is a fast one in August to target

10k - Current PB is 40:51. Signed up to the Dundalk 10k on 6th April. Its a new route, so be interesting to see if it is PB material.

Half - Current PB is 1:32:08. I will sign up to Newry Half at end of May.

Full - Current PB is 3:26:31. I am signed up to Dublin

The dream would be sub 40 in the 10k, Sub 1:30 in the half and 3:24:XX in the full. Dont think I am in Sub 19 shape for a 5k. I will continue my S&C I started in July and will continue running trails at least once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭py

I would put the WW200 down as the hardest sportive in Ireland. I can't think of other mass participation events that have the distance and elevation profile. Big numbers participating but it is not a mass start event like a marathon would be. When you are ready on the day, you can head off. If you are not experienced out on the road, get out an experience the conditions and dealing with minor maintenance issues like punctures etc. Also getting used to how your body (hands, feet and arse especially) feels out on the road after multiple hours in the saddle. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I want to build on my 2023 Improvement

5k - Sub 20, current pb is 20:40

Half marathon - 1.35, current pb is 1:40

Marathon - BQ time with cut off buffer, pb is 3.29, BQ time is 3.25 so with buffer looking at 3.20 which I will try for in Brighton

As a novelty I am looking to do the Dublin Mountains Way out and back on June 21st (longest day) I have done it from Tallaght to Shankill before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

My main goal is to run more miles than last year. If I can manage that then improvement will follow. I managed 47 mpw on average last year so I'll aim for 50 in 2024.

Arbitrary time goals:

Sub 2:35 marathon

Sub 75 half marathon

Sub 55 10 mile

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Realistically I'll probably struggle to hit all of those in a single year but they're all achievable in isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭shano_88

First year writing down my running goals, hopefully it helps staying consistent.

1. Run consistently throughout the year. >150km per month with 2000km in total through the year. have never ran consistently for more than a few months so this is really the key to having a good year. For me, I think racing consistently through out the year will help me as | think that keeps me motivated.

2. PB in every distance. This should be easily achievable especially if I achieve goal 1. Arbitrary figures for 2024.

5k - current PB is 23:57 achieved in 2019, ran 24:08 in a Parkrun in December so the goal for the year is to run sub 23 minutes.

10k - current PB is 51:49 achieved in 2019. I didnt race a 10k distance in 2023 but i think sub 49 minutes is achievable.

10 mile - Never raced this distance. Hopefully i can get one race at this distance in during the year.

HM - current PB is 1:58:57 achieved in Galway Bay in 2023. I trained for 6 weeks with this race in mind with a poor base behind me. I think sub 1:50 is achievable. I hope to run Limerick in May which will be my primary goal over the next few months and have already signed up for Dingle in September although I know this is quite a hilly course.

Marathon - Never raced this distance.

3. Run Dublin marathon. First step, get an entry!

Good luck to everyone achieving their goals in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I like this thread for making me sit down and properly have a think about my targets for the year.

Like last year I don't think I'll pb in 5km (25:40) or 10km (53:21). But last year I did run a few 5kms that were 25:5x times so a few more of those would be great. I haven't a sub 55min 10km apart from my pb, so as close to 55:00 is the aim but I don't think I've really any 10kms lined up unless I do the Mini Marathon this year.

5 mile (44:49) - not doing Raheny this year.

10 mile (1:34) - inch ever closer to 1:30

Half marathon (2:07) - this is my goal and bucket list race for this year! Would absolutely love anything as close to 2hr as possible. Acceptable sub 2:05. Will be disappointed if I'm slower than 2:05 but it might depend on the day.

Marathon (4:38) - haven't an entry for Dublin but might pick up one during the summer. And if so, I'll hope for sub 4:35.

Aim again to run 1,000 miles in the year. Not a single mile run yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

Why do you not think you'll PB your 5km?

You've improved tenfold over the past year, no reason to not progress further.

You should aim to break the 25 minutes with no pressure if it doesnt happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Appreciate the info. Yes a few cycling friends suggested I start with the 100k but I like the not knowing if I can do it or not.

I bought a direct drive trainer and really enjoying zwift but my butt tolerance is currently only around an hour, so definitely work needed there. I got a smaller stem too as felt I was at full reach and that was very uncomfortable.

Haven't been outdoors and my maintenance skills would be zero, so lots of work needed.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The half marathon is my number 1 priority for this year. Some of the local 5kms will be on during my half training and recovery. When the half is out of the way, I might give a rattle at the 5km then! 😁 But eventually I would like to get close to 25:00....

You'll probably PB your 5km when training for the half. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

2 and 3 are the same as last year. But here we go again. I've removed my total mileage target as I'll see where the shorter distance type training takes me.

1. 400m - Sub 58.5 (no official PB)
    2. 800m - Break PB of 2:08.5
    3. 1,500m - Break PB of 4:26
    4. 3,000 - Run 9:3x
    5. 5,000m - Sub 16 (16:14) - Personally this feels like it'll be the hardest to achieve
    6. Leinster Masters XC - Team Medal. Will only have one shot at this obviously.
    7. Podium in some age category races
    8. Run at least one 10 mile or half marathon race

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Keeping it simple - 2000km total and 2 marathons completed (1 spring and 1 autumn)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭marathon2022

As my exuberance for running was somewhat tempered last year I will also keep er simple. I have a place in Chicago in October which will suit a crack at 10k or 10mile PB in the summer. With non running commitments keeping me on low milage till May I recking this will require some serious focus.

Best of luck to the rest of you legends

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Not too sure if I'm bothered this year. Have a marathon in March, but once that's over, I will re-evaluate.

For now, assuming I am going to just focus on running, then my targets are:

Run: >2,000km (1,500 in 2023)

5km: 19:59 (PB: 20:45)

5mile: 34:20 (PB: 34:35)

10km: 42:29 (PB: 45:20)

Full marathon: 3:15:xx (PB 3:20:53)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Every year I try and get sub 24 mins for a parkrun, current PB is 23-03 5K PB is 22-56, so hope to finally get under 23, turn 55 this year so at least my age grade goes up 😎

Have entered a couple of 10K's so looking to go sub 48 and close to my PB of 47-13. Have yet to enter any 10 miles, but might do my home town Naas 10 mile and go sub 1hr 28mins.

Might do the one half but no fulls, have done every Dublin since 2018, the Ray Darcy Marathon challenge and one virtual Cork and the body is tired. 1hr 52mins is my 1/2 PB and 4hrs 29mins is my full. Last Dublin I wanted to just really enjoy the craic, paced for 4-40 was 1 sec over 😏.

So my main goal this year is to officially go sub 23 for a parkrun, and just enjoy races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

So far I've only one real performance goal in mind for 2024, the rest are more general goals.

Performance goal is to cement a Boston Qualifier at Milan marathon in April. I have a BQ from Amsterdam with a 4 min + buffer but that most likely won't be enough. Goal then for Milan will be to run <3:13, but hopefully sub 3:10.

Have Raheny 5 (pb 32:54) and Bohermeen half (pb 1:29:35) in the build so would be happy to see improvement there.

I had a very good 2023 so want to build on that.

I joined Donore Harriers so post Milan will be all club training and races. Would like to race some graded meets and race some 5ks in the singlet.

Oh, just remembered, I have unfinished business at Dunshaughlin. I ran 40:03 there last year. Will have to attempt a remedy of that.

Would like to get stuck into the 24/25 XC season. Have never raced XC before so that's exciting.

Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Decided to reduce the run volume in 2024, and do a bit more Gym / Swimming / Climbing and what ever else comes my way. So the specific time goals will probably suffer as a result of lower volume. Anyway...

1. Missed the Sub 20 in 2023 (a couple of 20:0X), but still pretty confident with some sessions that a high 19 something is still possible (May / June some time). Still getting harder and harder the older I get.
    2. Run in the National Road Relays. This is not about time, but in a team and the F***ing nerves on the days and hours before...
    3. Sub 12:30 2 mile, in the club summer race series.
    4. A sub 33:45 5 mile. Raheny 5, and if I miss it then Dunboyne in May.
    5. A sub 42 10K in Dunsaughlin ?
    6. Sub 70 10 mile in Trim ?
    7. Sub 1:36 Half. Fairyhouse, or Back to the PP and the Race series Half ?
    8. Run Dublin Marathon. Going to put down sub 3:30, as last year was 3:26 but that was taking the race very easy but did enjoy the experience as a result.
    9. Run some foreign races, Lisbon Half (March 17th), Brooklyn Half (April 29), Lanzarote Half December.

Generally, keep running strongly (give my age), and have the banter with the lads after the sessions / logs runs that have been a stalwart during the year.

Keep running given your age?

You're an absolute credit to yourself. Men half your age cannot run your times.

Never mind your age just keep performing the way you are. You're doing great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Had a decent first half to year last year achieved targets for the Marathon and Half, the less said about the second half the better.

This summer will be better without the marathon, I hope

5k pb 19:55 targeting 19:40

10k pb 42:55 targeting 41:59

10mile 74:51 targeting 70:00

Do a mile on the track, just to see where I'm at.

Still trying to lose the belly but its still with me. Getting under 75kgs is another big goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GoGoMcFaster

Trying to get back into running properly in 2024 - Last year I started to make a little progress again since 2019 but lacked miles and in particular consistency with my long runs

Goals are:

Approx 30 - 40 miles per week with one long run (currently rarely run for longer than 60 mins)

Sub-20min 5k (PB 20:43)

42 min 10k (PB 42:57)

Run a half marathon (last one in 2019 - 1:35:xx)

Run >1500 miles (Last yr 1250)

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

1 - Keep the show on the road at all costs

2 - Race 4 x 5ks and PB in one of them

3 - Actually target cross country next winter as opposed to using it to get fit

4 - By targeting cross country, it means training for a spring 2025 marathon

33:10 in Raheny yesterday so No 4 is DONE. That time target was pretty soft TBH, and would expect sub 33 in Ternure or Dunboyne later in the year.

Missed Point 6. Finished Trim in 72, but I will say that the wind from mile 4-6 was dreadful and probably cost a minute maybe more. Will instead try for a sub 70 in the home race "Battle of Clontarf" in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thought I had done this!

This year already fewls different for me. I would usually be training for a target half marathon which would be Bohermeen but I'm not so I've decided to step out of my comfort zone & move away from some of the familiar stuff I have been doing for the last few years.

I ran Raheny with no intention of a PB(defo didn't feel the fitness was there) I managed to come away with a decent race and only a few seconds away from my PB so a good start to the year.

My aims going forward are:

1. To try some BHAA races ( doing one tomorrow as a complete novice)

2 Focus on enjoying as many races as I can as opposed to always trying to PB.

3. Enter races for fun & for the social aspect.

4. Keep running consistently.

5. Enjoy the 1st half of the year then get the head down with all aspects of running, the training, food, recovery, sleep etc. and hopefully repeat last years very successful marathon block for Berlin.

6. PB Berlin (Amsterdam 3:17) and live happily ever after😁

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Been in Germany a lot last year for a few reasons and this year coming looks no different so I signed myself up to three things so far over there:

1) Wurzburg Marathon - 26th May - 75euro or 100 euro with a finishers tshirt. Will take a handy enough pace on this one. If I break my current marathon PB thats fine but I won't be pushing for that.

2) Grimm Brothers Run - Start Of June - 85 euro including tshirt - An 80km run through nice hills and scenery that is usually done over 5 runs over 3 days, with all the locals in the towns coming out with homemade foods and drinks for the runners. But I will be joining the group that start from the start on the Sunday morning and running the full 80km in one run and reach the finish line around the same time as the bulk of the "normal" weekend runners. . Actually I plan to join the group who start 4.4km earlier to make it a double marathon distance. Aiming to finish so not targeting any time standards really. This is more for the endurance than the speed.

3) Frankfurt Marathon - 27th October - 119euro with a 37euro finishers tshirt - will work out what my marathon PB to date is and aim to beat it in Frankfurt. Its a nice flat route and October is around the temperature I run best at. So it's my target to set a PB before my advancing years (45 now) start to catch up with me and degrade my standards over time. So I hope not to just beat the PB here but destroy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Somehow (inexplicably) I've already blown my own expectations out of the water.

1. 400m. Done in one race. 57.6 PB in January. This was to be a big target for the year so running so quick out the gate left me a little unsure where to go with training. Had already changed up training a little to tailor for the 400 and it's slipped a bit since as I've not set myself a new target just yet.
    2. 800m. Done in one race 2:07.08 PB - First 800m race in a year and a half and ran on a whim as the timing suited better than 400m race on the same day. This time blew me away and can only think some of the faster work I had done fed into this.
    3. 1,500. No attempts yet
    4. 3,000. No attempts yet
    5. 5,000. No attempts yet.*
    6. Leinster Maters XC Medal - Not done. We got narrowly pipped 😥 . I wasn't feeling 100% on the day and that was the beginning of a lay off with bronchitis to add to the disappointment.
    7. Started. I've got a provincial age category medal in my back pocket. Will be in more races during the year hopefully.
    8. 10 mile or half marathon. Ran the Trim 10 mile when I was almost recovered. Didn't take the run too seriously and ended up enjoying it immensely as a result. Spent the whole race moving forward from the back and chatting to and encouraging runners as I went. I've never raced a 10k so might yet.

* There's a 5k on Dunboyne AC track some time in August and I'm toying with making this a target race to have a crack. Thought I'd flag it here in case some hadn't heard of this race.

Post edited by Dubh Geannain on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Awesome work N, bravo sir.

That Dunboyne 5k sounds good, I'll keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

For those seeking BQ times this year, there's a good article linked here

TL;DR the cutoff for this year was 5:29 under the BQ time and likely to get bigger

Advertisement