Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Weather Conditions - January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Not one bit mild here in S Sligo. 2.1c and feels even colder albeit with no wind and overcast skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Haven't seen the sun in days, hopefully with northerlies coming the air will clear up and give some frost.

Its January 12th and yet to measure an air frost. Mind you in 2016 the January minimum was 0.1C here so its not unique.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

That's mad! We had an air frost here mid-October in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Cloudy 2c in Arklow

Low was 0.9c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Overcast morning in Greystones. 6.6c atm. Breeze off the sea. Low of 1.8c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

The joys of coastal living. If you're a keen gardener, a lot of tropical plants are actually possible to grow outdoors thanks to the lack of frost and even when there is a frost, it's rarely severe and doesn't last as long compared to places inland.

I'm a keen gardener but my desire for warmth with a lack of any sea breeze is what has driven me to move inland. For me, there's nothing worse that a lovely calm and sunny warm morning that is completely ruined by noon, thanks to a cold sea breeze that persists until after dark.

I do admit that that the increased amount of sunshine that occurs in settled summer weather with an east based breeze (I lived less than 1km from the east coast) was very much appreciated, however the necessity to shelter from the sea breeze to feel any warmth far outweighed the benefits gained from the extra sunshine. I love sunshine but would rather 25° with cloudy and calm conditions over 17° with sun and a cool and persistent breeze.

Yeah, agree totally, retirement is going to be inland in Wexford,Waterford or Wicklow. My wife is a city person so the 'burbs here is as close to the countryside as she'll accept for now, I live in hope! My favourite choice would be to move back to the Roundwood area in Wicklow, close to Dublin, enough inland that sea breezes are light and mostly warmed up in summer and of course the semi guaranteed sneachta each winter.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Clear sky in Arklow

Frosty

Currently 0.5c

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Partly cloudy start in Greystones. 4.8c atm. Overnight low of 4.1c. Breeze still off the sea (ENE).

Skies have cleared now in Greystones. 6.2c atm. Pesky onshore breeze.

• Advertisement

Sunny and mostly clear (distant shower clouds over Irish Sea). 1.3c atm. Overnight low of 0.9c.

Clear morning in Arklow

Airfrost Low of -0.3c

Currently 1c

Nice day though the breeze would cut you in half. Maxed out at 3.4C in south Dublin which is very low for a coastal location like here and had our first frost of the year with an overnight low of -0.6C

High of 4.1c today in (my part of) Greystones. 3.1c atm. There was ground frost this morning, but still waiting on an air frost this winter.

Minus 0.4c in Arklow atm

Back into air frost there

Colder than last night already

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Munster looking like the coldest spot tonight. A milder sector further north causing a rise in temps up there. It will be a Baltic start to Tuesday.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

0.3c in Arklow

Low was -2.4c

Cloudy

Wet bulb-1c

Dewpoint -3.1c

Partly cloudy start in Greystones. 3.7c atm. Overnight low of 0.9c

Beautiful day in Arklow but temp really struggling so far

Just 3c now

Air frost in Arklow again

Clear

Low so far a modest -1c

• Advertisement

Clear and frosty start by the coast here in south Dublin, temperature seems to have bottomed out a short while ago at -2.2C which is decent for here. If the wind holds off tonight might get a bit lower.

1.2c atm in Greystones. Overnight low of 1.1c. Getting an air frost in my part of Greystones (25 metres from the sea) is like getting snow for others!

Clear/sunny day in Greystones. 3.2c atm despite stiff enough breeze just onshore/off the sea. High of 3.7c (so far) today.

Back to air frost here in Arklow

Currently -0.1c

High today was 4.9c

Some showers came very close to shore today here,you could see white stuff spewing out of them to the fishes

Looks like Greystones has tipped into an air frost \○/

-2.4c here in Arklow Currently, modest compared to well inland

I'm wondering how low it will go by the dawn

Yip! -0.2c atm. A rarity for me these days (being 25 metres from the sea).

I see station further inland (in Greystones) reporting -0.7c

Currently-2c in Arklow

Low was -3.7c

It's often been colder here tbh

Obviously nowhere near 2010's record or indeed some recent winters

Jan 2022's low was -4.6c for example

2010 -11c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Coldest night/morning of the year so far in Limk City. -4.6c @ 8am.

Some frost ferns on the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Min -5.8c which I’m certain is my lowest since Dec 10. March ‘13 maybe?

• Advertisement

Clear/sunny morning in Greystones. 1.0c atm. Overnight low of -0.4c

Advertisement