Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Raducanu comes through pretty comfortably in the end against Masarova. Some lovely stuff but I can't see her going much further unless she is at least somewhat consistent, she is so erratic and that serve is all over the place.

Raducanu through to the 3rd round, her opponent (Yastremska) had to retire (usually it tends to be the other way round...) but she played very well for the 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

What went on on the Alcaraz Arnaldi match? Arnalid took the first set before being bagelled and breadsticked.

Norrie versus Monfils...Norrie missing a tonne of break points opportunities, then serving for the set and drops his serve, so first set goes to a tiebreak, which Norrie manages to edge.

Raducanu versus Sabalenka soon, would take a huge upset and uptick in form for Raducanu to trouble her.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Djokovic loses to the lucky loser.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good 😎 He'll rebound in Miami though.

Osaka still getting back into the swing of things too as she lost to Mertens. I imagine the US Open is the target for her this year, can't see her being too bothered about RG or Wimbledon, even if she claims otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Saudi Arabia going to buy tennis now.

Be interesting to see how the female players in particular react to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sabalenka having it put up to her by a girl I never heard of - Emma Navarro, ranked 23 - I'm loving her tennis!

Match point down now.....

I watched her match (Navarro) against Katie Boulter in San Diego recently and she was absolutely bloody dreadful, so that is a surprise win!

Oh I could have watched her all night the way she was playing today! Might be a flash in the pan but I'll be keeping an eye out for her in future.

A very welcome contrast from the shrieking histrionics of Sabalenka!

• Advertisement

Maybe she is just very hot or cold.

Would agree on Sabalenka, can't stand the screeching, it was horrible in the Raducanu match (which was surprisingly tight).

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Once they see the money they'll be paid they'll all follow the script pretty quickly. Sabalenka has already come out and said she'd be all for playing there. Kasatkina might have some reservations though, understandable given she's a lesbian woman.

Will be funny listening to the WTA trying to rationalise their decision though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If they plan to merge the ATP and WTA tours I'd imagine the women would be all over that, it'll probably even get framed as a win for gender equality.

Should be a great match here between Sinner and Alcaraz. Sinner leads the h2h 4-3 and is yet to lose a match all year. Hoping for an Alcaraz win, time for him to win another title.

What an absolutely brilliant match. Some of the points are unbelievable!! The two guys look like they're having such fun, which just makes it all the better to watch. The athleticism of both is off the scale!

If you aren't watching live (and the 3 hour rain delay means most over here won't have been), do yourself a favour and watch it back.

Turning into quite the classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Missed his last two matches, between bee attack and rain - any suggestions as to how to watch it back - dm me please!! Fingers crossed that I can watch the final on time tonight!! Love those two young guns - as you say, even in the tunnel before they came out on court the first time, their athleticism was powerful!! Thanks!!

If you have Sky you should be able to watch it on catch up.

Cracking men's final, after a very disappointing women's match earlier.

Not a patch on the Alcaraz semi, mind you, but still a good match.

Medvedev would want to get his act together sharpish or it'll all be over for him!

Alcaraz on a bit of a rampage now...

Title drought over, nice one Alcaraz 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Aryna Sabalenka's boyfriend has died.

Awful news for her with her father having died only a few years ago aswell.

Koltsov's death has been ruled a suicide after he reportedly jumped from his hotel room window. Just absolutely devastating for Aryna.

Remarkably, she's apparently planning to play Miami but won't be doing interviews.

Murray level now against Berrettini, who almost fainted at one stage in second set!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

As long as the old warhorse is still able to get past the first round I think he should stick with it. Obviously loves it on tour.

As usual he gives 110 percent, has taken first set against Etcheverry.

Draper playing some really lovely stuff against Jarry and up a break in the third set.

I'm dizzy switching between the two matches.

If draper lasts the third set he'll be doing well, he looks like he's going to keel over between points! Is that just lack of match fitness from being out injured or what?

Murray going great guns altogether.

I am same ha.

Murray through played well.

This Draper match is tight!

Poor tie break from Draper and he is out.

I saw a bit of the first set in Murray v Machac, Murray playing very well, should really have won it more comfortably. Back on court now 1-2 in second set hopefully break doesn't upset his rhythm.

Sinner lost first set against Griekspoor before play suspended.

• Advertisement

Fun while it lasted for Murray, but lost a tight 2nd set and 0-3 in the third, he looks leggy.

Sinner came back well hammered Griekspoor in third set.

Advertisement