Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posters past and present who impinge on your thoughts.

Options
  • 31-12-2023 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭

This thread may have been done before, but it’s worth revisiting on a slow New Year’s Eve.

Are there any posters, past or present, who have left an impression on you, either fleeting or lasting? Perhaps you consider how their lives turned out or where they are today? Let’s not reference anybody directly by their user name to avoid personal confrontations. I’ll get the ball rolling..

This time about 10 years ago, I was living abroad. There was another poster on Boards who was an English teacher in Spain. I used to really enjoy reading her almost daily slice-of-life updates from Madrid. Even though I was leading a very different, more corporate life in a highly dissimilar culture, it was comforting to read the trials and tribulations of another Irish person grappling with a new language and forging relationships in a different society. Unfortunately, said poster disappeared entirely after several years. I sometimes wonder did she stay in Spain or ever return to Ireland. Either way, I hope everything worked out well for her.

A second poster crosses my mind in a less positive context. This person recently returned in a new guise and posts almost obsessively about one topic, spanning virtually the entire Christmas / holiday period. It saddens me a little that this poster clearly has few personal connections, in the familial, romantic, or platonic sense. My wish for this person in 2024 is to put down the phone / laptop and try building some offline relationships that may bring some meaning to their life.

Over to you fellow Boardsies. Who are your contemporaries on the site who give you pause for thought, either positively or negatively?

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There have been a few, 2 that spring most to mind were 2 powerhouse women who played a big part in getting the bereavement sub-forum started back in late noughties. That particular sub was a huge help to me at my lowest and it's thanks to those 2 in particular IMO. They not only shared their own pain & loss, they helped many others through their own.

There are a couple of others that I often find myself nodding along when reading, perhaps more out of confirmation bias than any great insight 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Two male posters, one who is a mod not Beasty in case anyone's thinking. Haven't seen either of them in a while here.

That been said there are some very strong biases emerging on the boards site in general in 2023, and HOW DARE YOU EVEN SUGGEST A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE apart from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

Graces7 who lived on an island and made poetic contributions to weather threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The poster of Raquel Welch wearing the leopard-skin bikini.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I like Donald Trump

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

De Vore / Tom Murphy who kicked boards off and who was in that way at least partially responsible for whatever good boards has done and the benefits that many people have derived from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sorry, this place is a much better place without her poisonous posts. I bet you €10 she reported one of your posts for some dubious nonsense that went on in her head and over yours and ours. ‘Peace and God be with you’ my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I always wondered if Pighead looked like his avatar, or was a devilishly handsome stud. The latter most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Buttersuki for their outstanding contributions on the various Radio Forums....also helped to bring down Tubridy for a finish...."delicious".....

Also took a disgusting level of abuse from the Noel Kelly apologists....

Thank you for your service Buttersuki....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

Sorry someone on Boards.ie helped bring down Ryan Tubridy? How did they manage that? I thought Ryan Tubridy was brought down by an audit in RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I often wonder what the Walter Mitty types and trolls are like in real life.

I worry about the posters who can't seem to leave their own home without tripping over angry middle-aged men.

Plenty of good skins here too, they're definitely in the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I always liked Aongus Von Bismarck. Brought a touch of class to this place. His ability to just completely ignore abuse was admirable and only made his would-be tormentors even more angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I heard Aongus was originally in the army, died on the loo - a flash in the pan if you like, and was reincarnated as a doctor. I bet he's still here.

Post edited by Leg End Reject on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

During the Great Financial Crisis, I would regularly fume while reading posts on this site and from one poster in particular. A poster who used to boast about his millions and investments while constantly criticising public servants, especially teachers. I subsequently heard that this poster was probably a massive Walter Mitty but I never saw any proof of that.

The criticism was incessant although it wasn't just boards posters who were at this, it was in the media constantly too. My reaction to this was to double down on my already frugal lifestyle to both improve my finances and also to keep as much of my money as possible away from private sector businesses. I encouraged others in real life to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I always enjoyed his posts too, particularly his supposed relationship with a German countess!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A Tyrant Named Miltiades, a genuinely sound poster run off the site when some Radio forum fanatics got too close to his personal life. A great loss to the site.

Honourable mentions to RogerHassenforder, Guy Person/Wayne Jarvis, Diamonds of Frost and, of course, my nemesis, Buile Beag.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Face Kicker. It was his solution to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Graces7 is/was grand, a bit idiosyncratic but sure variety is the spice of life. Last I saw of her, she was run off the Enoch Burke thread for some innocuous offering that offended the people there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It's Christmas, go read the Christianity forum 😉

Probably living in the woods with the rest of the bears

There was a regular poster that I always found sound. Loved his job and big into martial arts.

He rage quit.

So if he's lurking and is reading this...hello... happy new year 🎊

That could be 2 posters I'm thinking of, and both of them seriously sound skins and big losses to the site. 1 was approaching the end of his time in the Army IIRC, the other was also big into his MA and spent a bit of time as a mod on the Limerick forum.

Seriously sound skin and always an engaging poster IMO.

He always struck me as a person , if you got yourself into a jam, he'd be the first to help you out of it, if he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Rage quitting is such a beta thing to do. Imagine getting so annoyed with how a silly little message board is ran, or the opinions of random strangers, that you run off in a huff?

They should learn to better control their emotions tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I'd say you were a fan of the Abominable Dr. Phibes aswell Mr. Dugnutt?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Its not a specific poster I guess , but am in the watches forum.. @Wibbs is the mod and is really sound.

some threads go from selling a watch to then being a way of people sharing what they have gone through in their lives.. good and bad.

Nearly everyone is open to having the chats and supporting each other.

nice place to be

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement