Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much jogging / running is needed to NOT have a "sedentary lifestyle"?

Options
  • 30-12-2023 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I work an office job, male, wrong side of my 30s, and do feck all after work.

Maybe walk around the town on a Saturday for a while.

I know my sedentary lifestyle is super unhealthy.

Recently I have started to go for the odd jog, once or twice a week. I can do a 5km jog without stopping. I get a good sweat going and I'm almost ready to die when I get back home. It's definitely a jog and not a run.

I eat healthily (cook 95% of my own stuff). I am not overweight and have never been overweight.

As a sedentary office worker, how often do I have to jog and for what duration to have a healthy non-sedentary life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Nobody has to jog or run, it's just one option. The focus should be on finding types of exercise you enjoy, and gradually increasing the dosage over time.

These are the current physical activity guidelines from the WHO:

"Adults aged 18–64 years

• should do at least 150–300 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity; 
    • or at least 75–150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity; or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity throughout the week
    • should also do muscle-strengthening activities at moderate or greater intensity that involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week, as these provide additional health benefits.
    • may increase moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to more than 300 minutes; or do more than 150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity; or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity throughout the week for additional health benefits.
    • should limit the amount of time spent being sedentary. Replacing sedentary time with physical activity of any intensity (including light intensity) provides health benefits, and
    • to help reduce the detrimental effects of high levels of sedentary behaviour on health, all adults and older adults should aim to do more than the recommended levels of moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Listen to Peter Attia podcast #261 on Spotify and you'll get a good idea on how much you need, plus tons of motivation to start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Recently I have started to go for the odd jog, once or twice a week. I can do a 5km jog without stopping. I get a good sweat going and I'm almost ready to die when I get back home. It's definitely a jog and not a run. I eat healthily (cook 95% of my own stuff). I am not overweight and have never been overweight."

I'd say you'd be in the upper percentiles of fitness/ health then for your age group/ work cohort. So keep it up but make sure you keep enjoying it, do other activities as well for variety. Look up https://www.sportireland.ie/outdoors loads ideas there for outdoor activities. A day out of several hours of aerobic exercise where you're varying the input is very good for you. The cardio vascular & muscle systems etc get a good workout, sometimes easy, then working harder, then easier and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How long does that 5km take you? Once a week is probably on the low side. Not sedentary, but lightly active. For moderate activity I'd say 3 workouts minimum, or more depending on what they are.

Upper percentile based on what? I mean it's more than people who do completely nothing. But I'd have thought most people are tryignt odo sometihng these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Most people are lazy as sh*te if you ask me. Wouldn't walk if they can drive, get a bus etc. Given choice between stairs and escalator, choose the latter near every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lots if people do all of those things are also go to the gym. People treat planned activity/exercise as if it’s special.

I’ve no idea how often OP is taking the escalator. But given he described his lifestyle as sedentary, I’d assume he’s not walking/cycling to work or anywhere.

5km a week a start. But I’d be aiming more for something like the recommendations @Cill94 posted

Advertisement