Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented house to County Council for 10 years lots of damage after getting it back

Options
  • 30-12-2023 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I had rented out my house to the local council for 10 years, and when I got it back there is a lot of damage to it. The electricity in the sitting room and hall is damaged, I cannot use the lights and have had to tape up the switches. I have extension leads everywhere. The bath must have been left to overflow at some stage as there is significant water damage showing in the ground floor ceiling. The back door will not lock, the fibreglass insulation in the attic was being used to hide items from stores (a lot of them let behind), that seem maybe not purchased, and a lot of the insulation has been ripped up and removed. Holes in the walls, damaged tiles, broken toilet and much more. Also all of my furniture was destroyed and much of it allegedly disposed of.

I have contacted the council and I have been unable to get anywhere with them. They have sent me €900 and have told me that is all i am entitled to. I was told that if I was to go to court it could cost me about €5000 - €10000 and not I am not guaranteed to win because it is the council.

I have not got that much to go to court anyway. I have already had to buy a new bed and sofa. I will have to purchase two other beds and more items but at the minute I am still weighing it all up and trying to work out what I can afford to get repaired first.

Is there anything I can do, or somebody that I can contact, as I have gotten nowhere with the PRTB or the council and I feel as though i have exhausted all of the avenues that I could afford.

Tired and desperate. Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Does your contract not state it should be returned in the same state bar normal wear and tear.

Court hears woman’s High Court action against council over property damage has been resolved (irishexaminer.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Never ever rent to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Cant comment on the council piece, but Would selling the property at this stage be a better route forward for you. Its not easy being a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,276 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Surely you have depreciated the cost of the furniture over 8 years. So they cost you nothing.

what exactly is wrong with the electrics?

get a handyman in to price repairs. You can deduct the cost over the rent for the next few years.

will your insurance not cover some of the damage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭Deeec

• Advertisement

Elaborate…..

eother participate constructively in a conversation or just stay quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

If you are letting it out again, your best option is to let it out unfurnished. Other than the deposit you have little comeback except through the courts and that could be costly.

That's a very stressful situation. If the council are refusing to cover the costs your next course of action should be to write to all newspapers, post on all online platforms and contact TV and radio and tell in detail the damage done and the situation you have been left in after renting to the council. Stress that you would not encourage any landlord to rent to the council given the nightmare it has been for you.

Then write to our minister for housing, your local TDs and the taoiseach outlining the situation In every detail.

Sadly this is the only course of action that may get you somewhere - get them worried that landlords will stop renting - you will be soon offered something to shut you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The op outlined a catalogue of damage, and property is required to be handed back in the condition it was in at the beginning of the tenancy. You seem to be ignoring both.

No, not ignoring

”The electricity in the sitting room and hall is damaged”. I asked what the damage was, after all electricity can’t be damaged

at the end of the day the OP wants the house back in a good manner. If the damage’s furniture has been depreciated, which it should have been, then there’s no value to it. And they just need to accept that.

I directed them to get a handyman , he can put a cost to the repairs , some of which may be covered by her insurance.

damages that look a long list can easily be rectified. And not as bad as initially thought.

realistically going the legal route won’t generate anything for them.

what they do need to do is fix the house and get a new tenant in, or get the house sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Council have guaranteed you 30-40% of the total mortgage over ten years. Get it fixed up yourself and revel in the fact that you didn’t have to worry about it for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Insurance 😆

Oh I see.....you think the council should bear no responsibility for putting a problem tenent in the property. You think the council should have no duty of care towards the OPs property that was in their care. Sure it's fine for the landlord to be out of pocket in your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Why? Because of this?

Just to be clear, is it your belief that this is different to any other tenancy, and that the op’s right to have the property returned in the condition it was in at the start of the tenancy is any less because the council paid the rent?

What are you basing that on?

I’m basing it on a tenant moving in and never paying a cent. The council don’t move people in and don’t pay the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bluespecs

Invite a TV crew in to film the damage. Contact your County Councillors about it and ask for their help

No, it’s not fine. But realistically there very little comeback for landlords. It’s one of the reason I sold all my rentals earlier this year.

if you think the OP will get anything from the council or tenant you are not living in the real world.

what they will get is a lot of stress and hassle. Sometimes you are best chalking things up as a life lesson and getting on with it.

OP had a short term contract , 1-10 years

a 10+ year gives the council more responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's not how renting works, nor do we/you know what the rent or mortgage cost were for the 10yrs.

The property owner has to expect to make a profit from renting, not just cover costs.

OP, was it let directly to council or to a council tenant via RAS etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I think OP should ring Joe Duffy and he would sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,294 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

OP has had ten years of rent from the council - that's money in the bank. It's disappointing that the tenants trashed it to some extent but reinvest in repairs and let again or sell. Likely have appreciated in value overall, so glass more than half full. At least it wasn't burnt down, let's put it like that.

But make absolutely sure that the council officials are aware of the state of the place and who was there. If they do their job properly that should impact on any future social housing for these tenants. Make it very clear that you will publicise among others you know who let to the council. That'll keep their feet to the fire - no one wants to deal with that sort of feral behaviour, neither property owners or the council or their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP did you have a walk-thru inspection with a council official when the house was handed to them, and handed back to you? Can you prove that the damage done happened between those two inspections? Because without that, you will have little chance legally.

Best bet it to contact a local councillor, or local media - and let the council know you have done that and will be publicising the situation if your issues aren't resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭chrisd2019

This is one of the pitfalls of long-term rental agreements with the council, there is very little if any check by the council on the property during the rental period. You need to read the original contract you had with the council and based on it seek professional advice.

During the 10 years who was responsible for repairs and did you ever inspect the property?

Regarding the 900 Euro, what was this for and how was it calculated.?

Lack of protection of asset value for landlord during rentals, is why I myself have kept away from being a landlord, a months rent, doesn't amount to much.

As others have suggested, get the repairs costed and then think about your options regarding reletting or selling up.

Finally, if you believe there are items related to crimes left behind, inform the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I could be completely wrong here, but I was always under the impression that if you let a house to a local authority, the landlord was guaranteed rent, but maintenance was still the responsibility of the property owner?

Is that not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Hungry Burger

Renting to the council was your first mistake.

Of course it is. Any input yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Landlords aren't exactly popular with the public, esp right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not always. There are a few different schemes. Some guarantee to return it in original condition less fair wear and tear.

Advertisement