Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

The Wager was a tent poll blockbuster in the litery world. Their was a lot of hype surrounding this book. If it was a movie it would be similar to Star Wars The Force Awakens or the first Avatar movie. I would have been amazed if he hadn't mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭jmcc

He has the book review column down pat. It also managed to compress a "review" of a book into a few paragraphs and make it interesting and that's a difficult skill to master. Most people don't want the crap that is passed off as being "intellectual" but they might buy the books and put them on bookshelves to impress others. The reasons for people buying books vary. It doesn't matter if they are History, SF, Fantasy, Crime, Chick Lit etc. What matters is that they read the books and get enjoyment from doing so.

This makes a podcast like Tubridy's a very tricky proposition for book sales. Will people buy books on the recommendation of a celebrity guest? Some will. The danger for Easons is that some of those people who might make an impulse purchase because of the recommendation will go to Amazon and buy it for their Kindle thus losing a sale for Easons. A few might go to an Easons shop (not quite nation-wide) and buy a print edition. But it gets down to the number of viewers/listeners/downloads that Tubridy's podcast will get. A few Easons gift certs for competitions might even help but that requires some kind of way for the audience to contact Tubridy/NKM. But will the audience be there for the books or for a podularised version of Tubridy's radio show?

Regards…jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Not sure criticising every book selection of his is quite the gotcha you think it is, dude. I’d be very surprised if I wasn’t the most widely read poster here, yet I’d still list Fantastic Mr Fox by Dahl as one of my favourite books ever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even beyond the questions as to how much he actually reads; you can read a lot and be bloody useless as a book reviewer / commentator

When I was 5 days in the office in a previous job I'd go through a novel and a non-fiction book a week most weeks on the train, sometimes more. If I had to write a review of any of them it'd be Vogon poetry grade.

I don't get the impression he's a good reviewer. We know he's a mediocre interviewer with an obsession with misery from his Irish radio and TV work.

You could format a book podcast pretty easily - get people on the promo circuit, get other reviewers in if you don't/can't review something yourself every episode and you get at least four 'free goes' a year where you can basically edit a clipshow together - Booker Prize, Nero Prize and the Dublin International prize plus a year in review job. But the interviews and reviews have to be good - very good - to gain and keep an audience.

I wouldn’t blame him. Absolutely appalling hellsite filled with the mostly genuinely appalling and nasty losers this country has to offer. The vast majority of normal people have left it or visit only occasionally. Its inevitable demise will be good for civil discourse and society in general.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I wasn't clear. My issue is not with his selections. It is with his reasoning behind why he chose them. He hasn't provided one beyond.

"I like this book because it made me sad".

"I like this book because I liked the pictures"

Why did the book made him sad? What resonated with him that made him sad?

Why did he like the pictures? Was it the contrast of the glamour of hollywood, with dreary 80s Ireland?

Who knows. Not me anyway after reading his top three books. He might as well have answered. I like all books. They make me feel sad sometimes, then other times they make me feel happy.

The article is supposed to set out and explain the format for the podcast.

But he breaks from the format in his first book.

No reason why he chose it, and then goes on to say it could be any RD book.

The format is restricted to books Ryan, not authors, or genres.

You intentionally set it up that way.

After reading RTs choices. I am still at a loss as to why he chose them over something else.

If this is the standard that we can expect from his podcast. It will not last long.

Writing a review is a skill. It can be learned. Good reviewers will build up a following because people trust their reviews and opinions. Building up that kind of trust in a podcast will be difficult because it would largely be the opinions of others rather than those of Tubridy. If he cannot get enough A Listers who read books, there's a chance of it becoming the RTE canteen roadshow.

Regards…jmcc

It looks like his first guest is David Walliams.

I suspect guest wise he might be ok. Once he is happy to rely on authors doing the circuit for their latest release.

Hope he's allowed to speak as he seems to be an interesting character.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Nah, the quests will come from this list

Claire Byrne

Joe Duffy

Kathryn Thomas

Pat Kenny

Doireann Garrihy

Dave Fanning

Anna Geary

Dermot Bannon

Carl Mullan

Donncha O'Callaghan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would all these people have anything in common I wonder?

One talent agency and its staff providing content for its other staff. The cycle continues.

I’m sure some of Noel Kelly’s stable of talent will form part of the lineup. You won’t be getting Hillary Clinton, Russell Crowe or Bono every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"I’d suggest it’s a much more fulfilling use of one’s time than wasting one’s life online unsuccessfully trying to convince a complete stranger to change their mind."

Yet here you are with the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

lol 😂😂😂😂😂

He get canned already!?! He’s surprised me even with this.

Shooting your bolt a bit early, Higgins. A break means just that. Still has a nationwide morning show on Virgin.

Hope that clarifies matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Youve surely breached your 75mins for the day by now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, I’ll tell you this, all the “talk” in Doheny & Nesbitts, last night, was Ryan’s podcast. Rumour has it he’s got Macca, himself, Sir Paul McCartney, lined up. Sees it as the ‘Desert Island Discs’ of books.

Everyone’s excited.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

nah he’s done 😂 that’s a shıt canning if ever there was one. 🤣

The podcast business is a very tough and competitive gig. Irrespective of his complete absence of talent he hasn’t a hope, especially seeing as his primary interest is money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭archfi

Very good post but I absolutely refute the 'Covid hero to zero' bit except to say it was entirely a concoction of the incestuous media in this country.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Nothing, and I mean nothing would surprise me with Netflix.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

I see it's gone up from a very strict 60 minutes per day to 75. Graveyard mods, I'm calling you but don't expect much. This is what lowlevel is and outside of After hours, it's ruining the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Mods don’t read threads.

Have you reported it ?

Oh don't worry, why would I when nothing will ever be done.

it’s a shame we won’t know who the guests will be, on his podcast, prior to it being recorded.

We could contact them on Twitter and ask them to put forward the question to Ryan ‘are you going to pay back the €150,000 to the Irish public Ryan ?

That may also give them second thoughts about doing the podcast.

There are a couple of mods knocking about in the thread.

It’s unfair to say they won’t do anything. If you have a problem with a post why not PM one of the mods ?

Maybe the poster is going completely unreported on this thread because everyone thinks reporting to mods is pointless ? I am guilty of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If Sinead O'Connor was still with us, and 150KTubs referred to her comment to him about the God/Hoodie stuff as often as he has in his public utterances, I'd imagine she'd think it a tad creepy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well if she was still alive then he could never utter the line, because I'm in no doubt it was ever said by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'm willing to be proved wrong on this but my guess is the podcast will be a sort of Desert Island Books where the guests do all the reading, analysis and work in general but Tubridy takes a large amount of the payment.

I'm not expecting a revolutionary approach from him where he reads a couple books a week and does a thorough analysis of them. But he might actually surprise us this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The height of Tubridys literary skills is reading the summary blurb at the back of a book....

The guy is just a book bluffer.......

Reading a book equivalent to the Guinness Book of records changed his life....

A complete spoofer....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

some potential guests for the “big podcast”:

Francis Brennan

John Brennan

Hugh Wallace

Dermot Bannon

Joe Duffy

Pat Shortt

Lyra