Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB banned in Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

maybe so, but if that is indeed what he thinks he would be wrong.

but to be fair, he's not involved in irish radio now and hasn't been for a few years.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

He sold out the business not long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

What a bizarre post.

Again. There is nobody who has both the means and the desire to do this. No-one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

No demand anymore for DAB stations based in the Republic.But Lidl and Aldi do like to push their DAB radios here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

In what sense? He got in after the closure of the pirates in the 80s but he wouldn’t be able to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Again, attitudes and opinions differ. We don't have to agree on this.

Personally I prefer a choice of 50 or 60 stations to a meager choice and an analogue dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vswr

DAB (especially DAB+) in a comparable costs scenario, trumps FM every day.

Audio is better, far more selection and info, with far more options for the provider and user. From an infrastructure perspective, TX's are cheaper to run, even with some infill build to provide coverage, it's usually cheaper in the long run.

Trouble is, it's a supplemental service in most countries (so seen as "additional" costs to a provider)...

That's when you get people squeezing the margins.... lowering bit rates, squeezing in more MUX's, not doing infill infrastructure to provide good coverage (which leads to audio issues, or loss)...

Providers do this today already on analogue FM, they will TX in mono, bandlimit what's broadcast to save on power (akin to lowering the bit rate in DAB) ... it's just that people are used to it, or "coverage isn't great in this area" while listening to a pop song with a 5kHz filter on the audio.

DAB has died in Ireland, it will be interesting thought to see what happens when HDFM takes hold whenever they come up with a 100khz version.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And again we're left with the unanswered questions of where the content is going to come from and how it's going to be funded.

What's the benefit to the listener of having 30 Bauer stations pumping out the same crap with slightly different links, pretending they're a local station?

Life ain't always empty.

not a bizarre post at all, just stating the reality.

again, there is just no evidence for your claims.

• Advertisement

dab+ is certainly newer then FM, original MP2 DAB not so.

better, well that is subjective, all though the greater opening for operators and the final discrediting of the high expensivity high regulation model would certainly make it a bit better.

Post edited by end of the road on

HDFM won't be allowed here either.

i believe only america has adopted it.

it's not that DAB+ has died in ireland, it's that there is no ability to use it on a full time basis as one will not be given any licenses to use it no matter what.

or if it is, only existing operators will be able to use it.

Post edited by end of the road on

you were given the answers already, you just didn't like them, so nothing anyone can do when you have been given what you requested and it wasn't to your satisfaction.

the bauer stations pumping out the same stuff with different links is already on the way, and because there is no option for small operators to broadcast terrestrially like there would be with DAB+ (something it seems going on your posts you support) then bauer is all you are getting for absolute definite because they aren't going to stop with what stations they currently have.

and make no mistake, they are going to cut to the absolute bone, flog what they can out of the fm transmitters, and then jump ship.

same with wireless i expect unless bauer or other buys them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

Anyone know when the Lagan SSDAB service is supposed to come on air ?

“The reality” is that there’s a boards.ie poster who has the means to set up and run a national DAB service but cannot do so purely because of the BAI?

I guess you’re right, I cannot conclusively disprove this, but it’s still absolute bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I know the poster concerned and they would absolutely have the technical ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

Downtown Country and (in places which don't already get it) Radio Foyle spring to mind

It also brings all the Belfast commercial stations to parts of NI which previously couldn't hear them as well.

And (in spite of some folks aversion to the idea) around 60 or 70 stations from the UK mainland too.

RTE are missing a trick by not being on there given that a large area from Larne up to Ballycastle can't here them since 252 closed down. But then it would be a bit odd broadcasting on a platform they refuse to use in their own country.

it's non-bolox i'm afraid, as if it was bolox you would be able to prove it so.

Yeah, you’re right.

I rode Beyoncé last night btw, and since you can’t disprove it, it must be true, no matter how outlandish and stupid it might sound.

• Advertisement

this is not the gotcha you seem to think it is unfortunately for you.

you will need to do way way better with me, i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I did say technical ability.

Financially?

I’d be amazed but should point out that

a. If you’re spending ‘tens of millions’ then you’re doing it wrong

and

b. The poster you’re referring to has 45 years of broadcast engineering background, including building transmission infrastructure all over Europe so I suspect he may have a better grasp of the costs than me or you.

I also think the DAB ship has long sailed out of Ireland.

For DAB to succeed - and properly succeed- in Ireland we need three things

1. a national transmission network
    2. public awareness of its existence and benefits over FM
    3. decent content that isn’t already available

Not one of those is already in place and not one of them will come cheap. You’re not talking millions, you’re talking tens of millions.

This is a multi year, phenomenally expensive project with a very low probability of turning a profit. Some lad who knows how to set up a transmitter is absolutely no value here unless he’s got huge backing behind him.

But that’s what is being claimed here, that this guy can indeed finance the whole thing. It’s insanity and fantasy rather than any grasp on reality.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

Advertisement