Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage interest relief from Budget

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

if you are signed up for Internet banking, Go Online and view your mortgage statement. The cert of interest will be there for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Anyone else not seeing the Mortgage Interest Relief 2023 category under their Revenue account details? We checked ours but it's not there. Will have to wait to ring them as they only take calls up to 13.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

It’s in the ‘add tax credits’ section when you are completing the 2023 income tax return

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Submitted mine last Thurs and got my refund into my bank account this morning, very efficient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Sharon_B

Did it appear on your account at all? It's not on mine when I went to do the return this morning. It's supposed to appear under Employing a Carer? Anyone else not seeing the option to click on Mortgage Interest Credit?

Haven't received mine as of yet, 15/2. Just emailed AIB to request them to send it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭esker72

I rang last week and they said it would be out in a few weeks. I think they have a different (or no) system for the mortgages they took from Ulster Bank. Experience of AIB so far is making me wonder if the wrong bank went bust.

No, no sign of it. We rang Revenue & the person we spoke to seemed unsure about it. She put us on hold & came back to say that it's not set up yet & could be the end of February before it's active.

I emailed AIB a few weeks ago for the certs & balance statements & they sent them out within a few days.

• Advertisement

I deleted the return I had already begun and started a new one, the Mortgage Interest Credit then appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Borderbuster

just wondering what to do in my situation.

Ive 2 mortgages in the south. Myself and the wife work in the north. We pay our taxes to HMK. We dont do yearly tax returns to the south (as like 1000's of people living along border).

I fixed both mortgages in April 2022 for 10 years (super rates compared to today). Maybe I'm not entitled to anything?

I dont want to make an enquiry with revenue. i dont want an audit. I do have a PPS number, but haven't used it since 07.

is it fair to that people can only avail of the tax relief thru their credits? what if one doesn't work in the state?

Why isn't this done thru the bank like the Mortgage relief pre 2012? that was fine, I was getting the relief back i was entitled to.

any advise would be appreciated.

thanks

P O'Neill

If you're on a fixed rate I'm guessing your mortgage payments will have stayed the same for both years. The relief is only available for 20% of the increase in interest between 2022 and 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Still no sign of it for us, rang twice told they have delays

Thanks for the info . It's not on ours either & we were going to call them. Ridiculous carry on really.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Sorry I meant to reply to @esker72 . Still no sign of our cert, same UB mortgage transferred to UB. Hoping the revenue bit will go smoothly whenever we get it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Revenue took one day for us. Unlike some tax credits etc you can’t submit without documents. Mortgage interest cert for 2022 and 2023 and document to show balance at end 2022

Very straightforward in the end (we had already submitted medical expenses etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Same here, amended Statement of Liability issued within 24 hours of submitting (including submitting docs) and money received a few days later.

Did find it initially confusing as to where to claim and submitted claim for health expenses before realising mortgage credit should have on same Form 12, but no issue amending this form a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

I have raised a design flaw (in my opinion!) with this relief.

my sister in law has a qualifying loan under this scheme. I submitted all the relevant forms on my account for her. She is a low income paye worker.

When she got the statement of liability she got no relief as she has no outstanding tax (after credits) that this relief can be applied against she is not “entitled” to it.

it is being treated as a tax credit when it should be treated as a mortgage interest relief

it is my opinion that this budget cost of living measure should have been processed through the banks, not revenue.

I have raised the issue with local TD’s on her behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You’ll get a standard answer written by a mid level civil servant. It’s a one off measure and won’t be changed.

The rules and application of this scheme were clear from day one.

Rang AIB on Friday looking for interest cert as still no sign and becoming a bit of a joke. Got the "sorry, we're sending them out in batches" line from the guy on the phone. Not really good enough so had a little rant, pointless I know, but didn't want to say that's fine. Landed home that evening to find the cert in the postbox. Good to finally have it but mad that it took that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Sorry to bring this up - quick question regarding this. There is LPT outstanding for 2023, and previous years that I didn't know about. Does the whole lot (every year) have to be cleared before progressing or if 2023 is in order, is that ok?

Advertisement