Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage interest relief from Budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭esker72

Don't think it's unreasonable for Revenue to ask for this at all. It's a document sent out by the banks each year and shows clearly the two figures needed to calculate the relief. If the government didn't want people to claim it, the easiest thing would have been not to introduce it in the budget.

The mortgage interest certificate for both 2022 and 2023would be crucial to ascertain how much interest was paid in each year.

Do you know how much of your 2023 mortgage payments were interest versus capital?

The rent tax credit was made available very quickly for 2022 tax returns, some time during January 2023 if memory serves correctly, and was so simple to claim. I'd expect similar for this tax relief as Revenue will just ask you to confirm you meet the various criteria and then to input your 2022 and 2023 mortgage interest amounts.

What's with the chip on your shoulder about all this anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

thanks yeah was wondering if it's part of the docs that are sent out every year.👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

I work hard and pay my taxes seeing others get instantaneous relief while I'm made beg for it leaves a bad taste in ones mouth.

• Advertisement

It's hardly begging though is it. Its completing a form online which takes very little time to do.

My understanding is you physically have to send off proof after trying to find that proof. Again jumping through hoops for the working man.

No proof was required to claim the rent tax credit. No proof is required to claim most tax credits and reliefs. Of course you do need paperwork and proof if requested by Revenue.

However you will need your mortgage interest certs to obtain the mortgage interest values paid for 2022 and 2023, which will allow you to calculate the tax relief that is available in your circumstances. Mortgage interest statements are posted out every year to the mortgage holder by the bank/lender.

So you will have to take 1 number from 2 documents and enter it to the system, and possibly scan and upload said letters. Hardly strenuous is it?

If it's as simple as that, a 1st yr comp sci student would have the formula coded and site uploaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭nhg

Just save the documents as a .pdf or take a good screenshot of the documents and upload them when prompted to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Halfwits who are unable to follow simple instructions don’t deserve any tax relief. Likely they would blow it on fags, booze or the lotto so best off without.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How does an unmarried cohabiting couple avail of this? Can they each claim it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

No need for the personal abuse. They managed to do it from source before so why not this time. You can be sure a certain percentage of people will not claim it either by not knowing how to do it or maybe forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I have a couple of mortgages (both fixed) so there’d have no been difference in interest rates between the years- so am I completely ineligible to claim this? And can it only be claimed on the one mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

“The credit is available in respect of the increase in interest paid in 2023 over interest paid in 2022. The amount qualifying for relief at the standard rate of tax, 20%, is capped at €6,250 per property. This is equivalent to a maximum tax credit of €1,250.”

I guess that rules me out then and anyone on a fixed mortgage?

Yes, fixed mortgage would have seen no increase in interest so not eligible. I'd give my right arm to not be able to claim this relief. Having said that I did well off my tracker for many years and hoping to do well in the future but it's really painful at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mama lion

Does anyone know if this will be applied as credits for 2024 or will it be refund for 2023.

Have all documents ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I have applied for the credits in 2023. Did it online on the 18th. Havent heard anything back yet.

Has anyone else done theirs? How long did it take for a Response?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I don’t think you did. It wasn’t available up then (haven’t checked today but it wasn’t available last week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

It will be a refund for 2023. Paid into your bank account

very straight forward. EG paid 2300 interest in 2022, paid 7300 interest in 2023, balance is over €100k, difference 5,000. 20% rebate, €1,000.

At the same time check every other available relief - especially medical. Doctor visits, prescriptions (the monthly max of €80 can be claimed against - net €64), consultant visits, some dental visits (excludes routine dental)

Certificate of interest is sent to you every January by your mortgage bank. If you threw last year's out, they'll send a new one (even kbc and ulster can do that).

Very easy money for those that qualify and does take some of the paid of increased interest away.

Thank you for this. It'll be a nice boost. I have all documents for 2022 and 2023. Turns put paid an additional 7k in interest.

I've already done meds expenses etc. Completely forgot about this 😳

I'm assuming I'll be able to amend once it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Desertmoon1

Hi just went in to do this as its showing as available to claim now. Have my interest statements and my LPT property ID but when I go in it asks how much interest both myself and my husband paid each? We are jointly assessed. Like we both work so both contribute. Do I just put in half the interest for each of us or what?

We're the same. I can't remember exact wording but it said if jointly assessed the person submitted the form can be considered sole payer. Something to that effect. Like I said can't remember exact wording, Maybe someone who is submitting can post a screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

This might sound like a stupid question but in terms of the proof of a qualifying mortgage at the end of 2022 have people used the annual statement or is it on the certificate of interest too? I misplaced the 2022 certificate so had to reorder and I can't find anything that gives an end of 2022 balance!

We got a statement of payments and interest for 22 and 23 . With them was a letter stating our balance as at 31 Dec 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

AM I looking at the wrong thing on Revenue? This 'halfwit' (ahem)is trying to fill in the form on revenue and it's asking me about if money was spent on renovations or improvements or if its a new loan?

Thats not what I want at all, I want to claim the interest relief so can someone send a link or tell me exactly where it is?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

• Advertisement

Anybody received their Statement of Interest from AIB yet? I was with Ulster Bank and mortgage got transferred over to AIB. Got my cert for first part of the year from UB a few weeks ago but AIB being very slow. Would have expected the bank thats closed to be the one to be slow

Advertisement