Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Slurry on paper‐-‐---What's in it for me?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was just going to post that link. It's mainstream now. That article is written by a current affairs journalist and not an environmental or agricultural one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭emaherx

Well, they are not wrong. Don't know how lads couldn't see it coming, we'll all get the blame now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Indeed. There was an argument up to 3 months ago that it's not farming that has caused the worst water quality in Europe but it was septic tanks for example. There was probably some data even to back this up.

Now that proof has been completed proven as erroneous, people have broken the rules.

Wait for the backlash here, in particular dairy. Europe will not permit any more

Proving one culprit should not dismiss all others either, nor should it shoulder the blame on all farms, but that is how it will be read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a ridiculous scenario on farms though.

Farms are exporting slurry free and then buying artificial fertiliser to replace that.

How that was ever considered sensible and environmentally friendly by all concerned is beyond me.

Can we call it for what it is. A tax on livestock farming.

Won't disagree with that, but there is the more ridiculous scenario where the farm reports to export slurry but doesn't and then buys and applies that artificial fertilizer anyway while trying to find ways to under report that too. Then everyone else gets beaten with the same stick and forced to reduce also.

Why did you point to dairy there when cattle farming, according to the currency article, is adhering to the regulations much better than pig/poultry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's going to be fixed. But then we're still back to farmers exporting nutrients and importing inferior nutrients from merchants, abroad and paying handsomely for the privilege.

Livestock farmers have had a rough time with this government. From exporting nutrients, reducing stocking rate, reducing nutrient bought, reducing protein % of meal fed, being outpriced on Livestock bedding bought, concrete levies, carbon fuel levies.

Not related to government although maybe previous had more clout and pull, reduced shipping of calves, downward prices never seen before. Increased use of sex semen leading to fr bulls as nearly free in cases, downward pressure on aa and he calves as they become the old freisian through sheer numbers presented for sale. More agencies looking for self appointed paid farm inspections. OK it's become a general rant now.

It's like some were asleep at the wheel of how all things anti livestock have been allowed seep into government conscious.

We're a long way from Simon Coveney and Michael Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Some cost to the exporting.

My sums have it at 8,400 gallons per cow need to be taken off farm.

Over 2 artic loads.

See this as costing between 300 and 400 per cow.

Lot cheaper to rent the bit of ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 1848

Where do you get those figures from? Cow produces about 1160 gallons slurry over 16 week winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

You must export her whole year's slurry..

Cow excretes 92kgN

92÷2.4 (N/1000lt)= 38,000 litre

Close on 8,500 gallons.

You can only export what is produced indoors & stored in a tank & be capable of being moved in a tanker to another farm.

That's true, but you also must export what she produced that isn't in the tank. Only way to do that is export another cows winter produce.

I don’t understand why you want to export any more than what is produced over the winter. Cow @ 92 kg, 2.4 cows/ha = 220/ha organic(upper limit of derogation). This matches grass growth on land well farmed. Why carry any more cows than that. If you exceed this stocking rate costs rocket, profits decrease. If you end up exporting slurry because of higher SR then need to ask a few questions about what you are up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

https://thecurrency.news/articles/142990/unverified-exports-illegal-spreading-and-paper-acres-the-murky-world-of-livestock-manure/

Advertisement