Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Slurry on paper‐-‐---What's in it for me?

Options
  • 26-12-2023 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Happy Christmas All! I hope Santa was as good as Hewick today!!! Now that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang , my Fair Lady and The Great Escape are over, Would people mind sharing their opinion on the following. Thanks in advance.

2 Farm advisors have asked to import neighbours' slurry. We have done it before for both without asking for anything. Or anything being offered to us.

However, after joining Acres and hiring a Farm Advisor, I have in the process become more aware of Farm Knowledge,including Nutrients.

Should I be looking for something in return from either farmer for helping them with their Nutrients Plan ( N and P).

One figure mentioned is 350m3 or 77000gallons which we can accommodate.

I think it would be fair to look for some of that slurry or ask for 700 to 1000 Euro.

Something along those lines. What do the dairy Farmers think? We Farm beef and Sucklers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Austinbrick

That should read Nitrates instead of Nutrients!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

If you have the tank capacity then take all the slurry.

It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Don’t take in slurry unless you get the slurry and maybe payment and are allowed. As my advisor told me let them stew in their own slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭alps

There is no such thing as "on paper" .

When tf will this industry learn?

Tell them put the slurry in your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

My neighbour has no stock, he was facilitating another who has - on paper. Dept asked him to undertake soil testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Danny healy ray

I think 3 or 400 would be great money I would do it for nothing to help a farmer hit hard by a ass%ole of agriculture minister

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Foolish man, neighbours gaining and nothing in it for you .They didn't even offer anything. Gather they are dairy farmers. Can't believe anyone would expect this . Well not quite true I suppose they are dairy farmers. Are you not afraid of an inspection or of being reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well, regardless of anything else, I think it is bad form that it is the advisor asking you rather than the farmer himself checking the idea with you first.

There would be less need for such shenanigans if the armchair lads let go of their maps ...........

(Not a reference to the OP by any means. I mean actual armchair lads still trying to draw BISS and pretending they are working the place but in reality setting it to someone else)

One farmer did check with us first alright.

If We are within our nitrates level but don't have capacity for remainder of this year , is it technically illegal to get the exporter to store it and spread it / deliver it next year ( if he agreed). I'd imagine so. And if so, should I just refuse then to stay legal and do things right?

• Advertisement

No more or less legal than signing the form to say you took it in if you didn't. I'm assuming/guessing it is supposed to on your holding when you sign

For delivering it and spreading it ........... that might depend on him and might depend on the area too. You'd need to sort that out between yourselves.........with the price of fertiliser he might have no shortage of people to take it away.

In order to stay legal and do things right.

That's your own choice. But there may be a day when you need help with something. You need a lend of a lifter for a cow that's down etc. Even a hand taking a calf.

Or there could come a day when a few of the dairy lads in the area give up and plough their farms and you get knock on changes like finding out that the local vets closed up due to reduced business and the ones now covering your area are 30 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's becoming a risk. Slurry needs to actually travel, at this point. The loop is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If it suits you to take it, work away. You'd want a commitment from them to spread it on your land when that suits you best.

If not, don't waste your time with them. Like most other thing's in life, if ones back is too the wall, you'd pay to get out of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

You should be getting the slurry.

If you in an area that has high stocking rate you could look for them to cover the cost of spreading as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I dunno, with all the talk coming from the department with regard to the bogus movement of slurry it seems a risk for someone to declare receiving it if they didn't.

I was more referring to the looking for payment for it on top of it being spread and the "let them stew" aspect of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Ah fair enough, mistook you. Valid point in that case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

When is the deadline for taking it in, 31st December? If your p&k indices are low I think you should look for the slurry before signing up. I helped people out before and never got anything for it, not even a word of thanks, boot is on the other foot now though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭emaherx

I'd definitely take the slurry if you have capacity, you are still helping the farmer who would be otherwise over their nitrates limits.

What's the penalty for you if you are caught helping them fraudulently? I wouldn't be risking my own BISS payment so someone else can keep theirs.

At least taking the slurry you reduce your fertilizer requirements for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

What’s the story with the 70% grant for farmers with a contract to import slurry. What does it intail?

Could be getting them to cover soil testing for you maybe. It would be in their interests as it might increase what you can take

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

The limiting factor with importing in most cases is the phosphorous in the imported slurry this is where penalties can occur. So it is important that if you are taking in slurry you need to have soil samples showing a requirement for phosphorous.

That was my point. If you are taking in slurry for someone regularly, you could at least point out to them that you need them to soil test the place for you. I assume the allowed level is maintenance amount if you have no tests. If an advisor is doing the "paperwork" for you, then they should be aware of that too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Grand to operate within the rules. I suspect in future many organic farmers, like me, will be glad of the nutrient input if it matches.

Yes the same as all the people that signed their BPS application this year saying they had stock grazing all their land when they hadnt. I wonder will this ever be checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hard to know, certainly satellite imagery and that flown by aircraft is used to monitor land use within the EU. But this is better at tracking tillage and forestry. Depends how much human checking there is I guess and there could be spot checks. AI is getting better too all the time at analysing imagery.

The advantage Irish farmers have here is that we tend to get a lot of cloud cover over Ireland due to Atlantic etc

Ultimately, there is no absolute requirement to have stock. One way of meeting the active farmer test is to have 1 livestock unit per 25 acres. But it isn't the only way

• Advertisement

Maybe I remembered it wrong. It could be the acres scheme There is a box to be ticked that you are grazing the land .If you don't answer this question you cannot complete the application.

Advertisement