Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should big shops open on St Stephen's Day for the sales?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't care about Hinduism, or really Christianity to be honest.

What I care about is people, and it so happens that we've got a Country here that has evolved around the Gregorian calendar and Christian (though not all) festivals, and when it comes to Christmas the Irish tradition is to take a break, and that has been eroded for so many people over the last 30 to 40 years.

I don't think its too much to ask all commerce, to permit 1 total shutdown day and 2 other mostly shutdown down days every 365 and limit trading to half days every 7th day.

So if individual business owners want to close to celebrate Diwali or Eid-al fitr or Rosh Hashanah, or whatever floats your boat, then its a free Country to do so. What I want is a mandatory down time, to include those guys that work in Asian owned shops from 7am-11pm the rest of the year.

And whether its they, or you that complains about the majority of this Country living by a now highly secularised Judeao-Christian framework, I'd give the same response; the Airport is that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Well not on a.Sunday, cos the shops only open between 1pm and 6pm 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

While Christmas is a religious holiday, the religious element is not as relevant to many people now. Many still celebrate Christmas though.

Remove religion altogether and it's a great time to have time off work during the darkest, dreariest days of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

We were in Vienna a few years ago for Easter and all the shops were closed on Easter Sunday and Monday.

So why the hell can shops here not close for Christmas Day and Stephens day.

By the way it's not for religious reasons, just as others said to give everyone a break.

People could shop to their hearts content today if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Seasonal and Sunday trading

When can shops open on Sundays in Northern Ireland?

Guide

In Northern Ireland large shops can only open on a Sunday between 1pm and 6pm. They are defined as retail businesses with a floor area of more than 280 square metres (3,014 square feet).

Smaller shops with a floor area of up to 280 square metres (3,014 square feet) can open whenever they choose.

Shops exempt from Sunday trading rules

Some categories of large shop are exempt from the restrictions placed on opening hours. They are:

• off-licences selling only or mainly alcohol
    • airport and railway station outlets
    • service station outlets
    • registered pharmacies selling only medicinal products and medical and surgical appliances
    • farms selling mainly their own produce
    • outlets wholly or mainly selling motor or bicycle supplies and accessories
    • suppliers of goods to aircraft or sea-going vessels on arrival at, or departure from, a port, harbour or airport
    • exhibition stands selling goods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Why the hell should they close. As I said previously we don’t need more nanny state bolix rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They can.

No one is stopping them.

But forcing ALL shops to do it at the same time is just massive state overreach for no real gain.

If you really care about workers, increase paid sick-leave to internationally comparable levels, and give more annual leave.

Back in the day the Post Office used to deliver on Christmas Day. People had to get their American parcels, otherwise children would have to go without presents. Amazon and the rest will probably start to deliver on Christmas Day. They do same day deliveries where the population density makes it profitable.

I think people are getting more impatient these days to get their Chinese stuff delivered, than to make it out to so called sales in shops. Supply and demand, and that demand on 26 December is becoming much like any other shopping day. Not very much of hordes waiting for hours to be first in the door these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Lots of people don’t celebrate Christmas or are indifferent to it and have no issue with working over Christmas. There’s a core of Christmas Nazis who expect everyone to want to be living some sort of hallmark card Christmas that they strive for. If the shops want to open so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭holliehobbie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ottolwinner

It’s like the old Field of Dreams movie.

if you build it he will come.

so long as people want to keep consuming. There will be shops open to cater for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

This sounds a bit like Sharia law with a Christian twist.

So absolutely nothing like Sharia law in any respect whatsoever, yeah?

And I've adapted it from a look at a selection of the trading laws in other EU Countries, and in Northern Ireland.

So maybe you'd want to start ringing around and telling these Countries that they're operating Sharia Law, completely without knowing it. A, is for Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why not meet half way and let the shops open but not until 1pm. The shops get to open but the staff also get to relax properly Christmas day and have a lie in to relax 😌 and maybe nurse that hangover. There was nothing open in my area anyway if I showed you a picture of Christmas day and one of Stephens day you wouldn't know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

Why not let the shops open but not force any customers to go to them?

Responsible adults, free will and all that stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

The staff who do the cleaning and stock the shelves would have to come in well before 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

So this thread is basically a load of office workers who are getting paid leave over Christmas complaining that retail workers don't get an unpaid day off. Is that about the gist of it?

Clearly going to university doesn't teach you everything about the world.

Who said anywhere that it should be unpaid?

Public holidays are paid entitlement at flat rate.

When I worked in retail the stock was done the night before. The staff came in and went straight for the till. The cleaning staff would also be coming in later than usual so they get a lie in past their usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Middle aged men who like telling everybody else what they can or can't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fair as I’m aware there’s legislation around Sunday and bank holiday pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Currently retail staff who work on Stephen's Day get paid for that day and also get another holiday Day to be used later on.

Those who are taken on as Christmas temps typically get paid out for the extra day when they leave. Other take it at time which is mutually convenient for them and the employer.

Under your proposal, they would only get the compulsory paid holiday wherever of not it is convenient for them.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The sad cases are the ones content going through the same old hyped up self imposed pressure fest year after year, being cooped up with drunken argumentative relatives and screaming kids, and force eating great mountains of food because it's what the baby jesus would have wanted.

If I was willing to work any part of the 26th, I would go for as many hours as I could get. I wouldn't enjoy the extra lie-in much knowing that I would only get paid from 1pm instead of 9am.

That's you some people want to work all day, some want to go in late and some simply don't want to work at all. I spent years doing rosters in hospitality and retail. Everybody's different. I would try to accommodate all of them if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Because you won’t be forcing customers, but you will be forcing staff…

look retail is insanely busy up till Christmas, just let people have a couple of days off. If anyone deserves it….it’s retail staff..

I'm happy with that. Before you wanted shops to stay closed until 1pm.

It was just an idea. I find staff are generally good at swapping shifts themselves without leaving the shop short-staffed. On a side note I've in various industries. The best by far for comraderie and looking out for each other are retail and hospitality, the worst paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah but a very high % of staff are hired specifically for the Christmas period.

They are usually happy to work all the hours to get as much cash together as possible.

These type of arguments always amuse me.... we're not a caste system.....you're not born into a job. If you don't like the hours , retrain for a job that has hours that suit you.

Personally I wouldn't work hospitality as I wouldn't do the shift work. I wouldn't work in a hospital, even in admin, as I don't like germs or blood.

Retail staff know what they are getting into. They know it will be busy around Christmas and sales. There are plenty of jobs out their worse than retail.

If you don't like the shops being open, just don't go into them....one less customer for the "tired" staff member to deal with.

Advertisement