Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should big shops open on St Stephen's Day for the sales?

Options
  • 26-12-2023 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭

I don't work in retail but I feel a lot of sympathy for people working in the likes of Arnotts and Brown Thomas who have to come into work today. What is so urgent or important about what they're selling, that they can't wait until at least tomorrow or the day after before opening? Shop workers are run off their feet coming up to Christmas and the least any employer should do is let them have 2 days off. How can you enjoy yourself properly on Christmas Day if you know you have to get up and go to work the next morning? It's also pathetic that people have nothing better to do with their lives than tramp around shops on the 26th. Are they bored or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I think people should enjoy what time they have off. The sales aren't really worth it, It's just shops getting rid of older, unwanted stock. Let the workers enjoy their day off. The price reductions are not much, and prices were probably raised a few weeks before and then reduced. People should enjoy their time off, the shops and these so-called "Sales" are they really worth it?

They get two days off every week. They'll get at least that this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who is the OP to be telling everybody else what they can or can't do?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I would agree with the OP that there is really no need for all the big stores to start their winter sales today as opposed to tomorrow, the 27th.

It’s pure wanton greed IMO and also shows how much contempt retail workers are treated with by their profit-obsessed employers.

Is it really too much to wait another day so that exhausted retail workers can have another day to rest and be with their loved ones or is it a case of “f**k the shop staff and their welfare, I want to be able to shop where and when I want on St. Stephen’s Day?”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd go further and ask why tomorrow? Go back to the traditional January sales starting on 2nd January and let retail workers have a proper break after a month of madness and long hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I would say no. What's the rush?

Retail staff deserve a proper Christmas too.

Holding off on the Sales until at least the 27th would be good, holding off until the 2nd of January would be better.

The same applies to supermarkets. I think its great that Aldi and Lidl close their stores for 2 days so their staff can enjoy christmas.

Stock up people!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ruth...less

In a time where anyone get anything they want online it seems stupid. Retailers need to stop trying to keep up with online **** and make themselves more unavailable.

Though I'm one of those people that'd be happy for most shops to shut again on Sundays.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭bmc58

A big NO.Can you not do without big retail shops for at least two days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

There are no real sales anymore just shops getting rid of stuff at a pathetic discount to people who don't seem capable of staying out of shops. for more than one day.

Our local supervalu open today. Yet Dunne's and the German shops can manage to close for two days.

Next I presume with their 6am sale that shoppers queue for and then complain after that it's only tat brought out for sale.

Not worth it😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Definitely think the shops should stay closed today , kind of impacts on Christmas day knowing you have to get early next day for work there are plenty of other days to shop .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Retail staff are paid hourly for the most part, so if the shop is closed they are either using up their holiday days or taking unpaid leave.

Maybe it's just anecdotal, but I worked 6 retail jobs in my life and people were always fighting to get extra hours, especially on public holidays because the pay was higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Lots of people work all over xmas. I was in a petrol station on my way home from work yesterday buying milk, two workers in there.

I'm sure there are enough staff that those that don't want to work, won't have to. Plenty don't mind, might not even celebrate Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

It's a public holiday so don't they get paid more if they work today (or get to take another day off in lieu). I know a few people working today (not retail) and they're getting paid a different rate for today. I used to work it myself a looooong time ago. Didn't really mind it, everybody was in a good mood.

That said though I don't care about the sales. I never go to any shops on Stephens Day. They're open enough days of the year. These days it's more important to me to go into a quiet shop where I can stroll around and get somebody to assist easily rather than one overflowing and everybody is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

If I was running the place, the 25th and 26th would be two retail free days. Apart from essential services and certain critical industries, no one should have to work on the 26th, least of all to go to a job to sell idiots flatscreens with 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you feel the same way about pubs and hospitality staff?

FWIW lots of big shops eg Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi, Eason, were closed. Even though some of their staff are not Christian and have no interest in celebrating Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes I agree it's crap the retail shops are open on St.Stephen's day.

Unfortunately though I do put it down to the move away from xmas being a Christian occasion. If it's just a holiday for everyone, to be inclusive like, then frankly I don't see why the shops would feel like they have to be closed.

Having said that and since I'm really cynical I wouldn't be surprised that all this happy holidays shyte is a conspiracy by big businesses to de-christianify the xmas period so they can have the shops open 24/7 while enough people are off work so they can do nothing but go on a spending spree binge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

It's competition. If shop A doesn't open, shop B will and vice versa. Unless they come to some sort of arrangement but that's unlikely.

Same with opening hours, if shop A opens up an hour later than competition they will be conceding sales.

As long as shoppers are happy to go out, the shops will open

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Absolutely no reason the likes of Arnotts, Brown Thomas etc should be open today.

It's terrible, staff who are so busy in the run up to Christmas can't have two days off.

People are like sheep, not even that many bargains. Go online if you really have to.

I do love a nice bag in sale, but very limited ones that are actually in the sale at the moment. As others said just trying to get rid of stock.

The real ' sale' is actually in Nov when a lot of shops do a geniue 20% of almost everything.

I don't think any shops should be open today including supermarkets etc.

Only exception should be say local petrol station, but not them all.

I was actually shocked yesterday how many petrol stations were open. Only a few years ago nearly all would be closed on Christmas Day with the odd one open.

I actually wouldnt open pubs restaurants etc either, let as many people as possible enjoy these two days at Christmas.

People can escape from their families then tomorrow if all too much for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭teediddlyeye

I'd go for the full week till new years at least.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GHendrix

I used to be one of those people that couldn’t understand why shops wouldn’t just close for at least 2 days and why people just had to go out.

Now I have 2 young kids and it’s essential for my sanity to get them out for a bit.

So I personally delighted that Costa was open.

I worked over Christmas a lot in my retail days. I actually enjoyed the double time pay and usually a quieter day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yup, former retail worker here too.

I absolutely loved the madness of Christmas, you were busy but there's usually lots of staff in.

The extra pay is brilliant, I vaguely remember getting triple pay for one of the days.

However you'll only be rostered for the legal amount of hours, so while the shops are open the individual worker will still be only doing the same amount of hours per week as they did in June (management may be slightly different, however most places have a clause that all head office staff have to do hours on the shop floor during Christmas...the biggest headwreck for the normal shop workers, so that gives management a breather too)

Personally I wouldn't go in to the sales today, however I'm out and about tmw and I will be using the shops to kill a few hours while I wait on someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's not just knowing about it. Next staff were required to be in at 3am for 6am opening,which means that they can barely have a drink with their Christmas dinner.

N9 need for it at all. They should be closed on the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Go to the park or visit their Auntie like any sensible person.

I have two young kids too but certainly wouldn't bring them to a shop to get them out sure thats more hassle than its worth!

We spent a lovely few hours in park today so they can burn off all the energy and hopefully sleep tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I do feel sorry for the retail workers who don't want to work but I hope there paid well.

Similar I do believe some people are happy with the extra cash.

However with Black Friday, etc. I've no idea why you'd want to get up early and go out to a shopping center when you could be relaxing at home.

Surely they could be something else you could do visit family, play games, do stuff outside(Weather permitting), etc.

It was great to see how many people were out walking in family groups today, it was the ideal day for it.

Yep, I agree freshpopcorn it's a time for visiting family and playing board games, not shopping.

On a side note we played Cluedo today that Santa brought and I was shocked that they have tried to change it from years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It probably depends on individual workers whether they enjoy it or not - when I was a student working Stephen’s day was grand, I was very happy to get the money and didn’t feel like I was missing family time (had enough of them on Christmas Day lol) but it’s tough for older people with kids I assume, same for hotel/restaurant/bar/hospital/public transport staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We once played Junior Cluedo and we struggled.(It was about eating a chocolate cake.)

• Advertisement

Oh we have Junior Cluedo aswell, I actually didn't mind it too much, good when he was younger but now he is 7 he wants an upgrade to the real thing😁

Advertisement