Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who never say hello back

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

My experience is about 1 in 5 will totally blank her. It's a bit mean tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Ah God I don't even like kids but I'd definitely greet her and smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yeah. Pretty savage to blank a toddler. I would smile and say hello.

However, as an adult male, you also need to be careful in these situations. Unfortunately, given the hypersensitivity of the world we live in, men need to be very mindful of their interactions to ensure that they are not misconstrued. Perhaps that’s why some people are ignoring your young daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Looking or interacting with kids = major no in todays world!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It depends on the context of the interaction.

If the parent/guardian is present and the kid says something to you first it's ok to say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I've wondered about this too. Young people are less likely to greet her than older and men less likely than women.

I get that in the current social environment that men particularly are wary around children but smiling and saying hi as you are passing is a lot different to being left alone with them. I think as people are having children at an older age, younger adults in particular do not know how to react to small children. That or many people are completely self absorbed and can't even give a toddler the cheapest thing to make their day - a smile and a wave.

It's a sad state of affairs either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I've never heard someone saying hello back 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭waywill1966

One that annoys me is when you say , how are you to someone and they respond with a curt “I’m good” and never ask back in return how I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I had just got a call that my best friend had just died and i was walking from work to the train station to go out to the house. All I was thinking was what am i going to say to his family. Next thing this lad says as hes giving me a horrible look. "Well carry on being that way then"

I think he must have said hello or something to me as he was walking towards me but my mind was elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

In Dublin it’s a bit odd saying hello to people as you pass far too many and anyone looking to talk is looking for something, usually money. I’ve seen people that were clearly looking for directions have people blank them, which I wouldn’t do but then I no issue saying no to beggars or junkies. There is a huge difference between places and what is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Housesearching2022

Men are the worst offenders in my experience. The thing about getting a vibe off someone as you approach can be horribly wrong. I have passed people in my local park who approach all confident, shoulders back and open body language then when I say hi, they just walk past me as if im air. No eye contact, nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can't be her accent giving her away, so...?

Also these "Was X like this before Covid?" threads are funny. You'd swear 2019 was thirty years ago or something.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Because when you say hello, I wasn't prepared and my voice could only croak out some weird honk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Advertisement