Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who never say hello back

Options
  • 26-12-2023 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I consider myself a friendly, approachable bloke and would always acknowledge people with a nod or a smile and a hello when passing on the street or in the park, if there are only a few people around. If im walking down a street or a quiet area and its only me and one other person, i would always greet that person. Most people reciprocate, but of late there have been a good few people who not only not respond, but actually look at you like you are nuts just for recognising a fellow human.

The worst of this is when you see someone who looks approachable and seems friendly but then when you say hi, they actually stare straight ahead as if you werent even there! I get it, some people are rude, some are pre-occupied etc but personally i could never walk right by someone without some form of acknowledgment or eye contact, it seems unnatural otherwise. But there are a sizeable group of people who have perfected that peculiar skill of completely and utterly blanking you as if you dont exist. And this is all ages too not just youngsters.

Have you come across this much? Did Covid kill off basic manners or were people always like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I already bleedin' told ya bud, I don't have any change for you for your bus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

People don’t always react the way you expect them to - in all types of situations. It’s never about you. Accept and move on.

People are much friendlier and chatty here with relative strangers than in the UK where I’m from, so it could always be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I do think Covid did have a negative effect on interpersonal skills. Factor in a lot people are rushing all the time. Also with all the stories in the news lately about strangers attacking for what appears like no reason.

Hello by the way 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

Huge amount of immigrants as well, may be a factor depending where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

It might come across as rude but it could be a confidence/anxiety issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Don't let it change you. Remember it's them that have the problem,

You don't know what is going on in peoples minds. They could be depressed or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

when it happens I nearly always say, "whats the craic, you good ya? im not too bad" fcuk them they are just odd soulless people, especially the ones who were staring at you before you even said hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I find that in urban situations people tend to be more guarded.

A bit less so in Ireland than the UK.

On the other hand out hill walking in both countries the majority would acknowledge a greeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Definitely depends where walking. Out in the countryside hills etc more likely to. In town wouldn't bother. In our park walking our dog if someone says hello I'll respond but I just can't be bothered otherwise (being honest here🥴😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I usually smile in a coy manner when crossing paths with anyone. If I happen to recognize someone on the other side of the street, I wave forcefully with a matching grin that often leaves me exhausted, since I carry on gesticulating way past the encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Ireland is definitely less friendly than it used to be , many people are looking at their phones 24/7 or have AirPods in their ears ensuring there’s no engagement with other people .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There was a thread here a few months ago where somebody was bemoaning the fact that people greeted them when passing on the street.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was thinking somebody was trying to bait the issue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't mean to be a Debbie downer however I'm old enough to know nowadays that everyone is different and there are millions of personalities and some people are so crippled with anxiety etc that they may have over thought replying to a hello to the point they don't actually respond and it hurts them more than it hurts you

Aside from that, what's up with ignorant unfriendly people with really friendly dogs ? I'd always say hello to a lovely dog but sometimes their owners can be utter cnts.

Also I once said hello to a guy carrying a unicycle and he blanked me ....wtf like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭nachouser

Talk to the hand, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Hello.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Whip out your Mickey

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

I spend a lot of time down the country and the rest in Dublin. In the former you greet most people whether walking, on the bike or driving slowly, sometimes start conversations with total strangers. In Dublin generally none of the above or people think you're weird and dare you say hello to a female under 40. My parents's generation were not like that.

Sometimes the brain doesn't flick the town/country switch and hilarity ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I think a lot has changed in recent years. There is an assumption that humans are social creatures and want to be around other humans. I see this where I work. We’re constantly being told about the value of working together onsite. But to be honest - there probably isn’t more than one person from work who’d call or text me outside of work situations. And vice versa.

I try to swerve interaction with females - I certainly don’t like to initiate it unless it’s necessary (can’t really be avoided in work). Unless you’re viewed as being in the top 5 or 10% of men, a careless remark could land you in a lot of trouble. If a woman is pleasant and engaging with me, I reciprocate.

I find that most of us are in love with our phones. They offer escape. Reading a book or even engaging in a stimulating conversation is just lost on some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I can't see so I just wave to everyone lol

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

It's funny. If I'm on the street of my local small town, I wouldn't think of passing someone on the footpath without at least of a nod of the head. But If I'm basically anywhere else, ie big county town/city, Dublin or abroad, I wouldn't even see the other person, cos I kind of subconsciously accept that it's not required or would seem odd.

It's a very generational thing. I will always acknowledge older people in this scenario as they usually reciprocate as "in their day" it was the done thing. Anyone under 30? Shoulder charge while staring at my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s depends… if I’m out for a walk on my road or adjoining park I’ll offer anyone a smile and a low key hello…. If they reciprocate or not no problem either way. Can’t recall anything not being reciprocated… haven’t noticed much of a change OP, sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

It’s worth saying hello. I say hello on my way to work and ar first this pensionar who is often out for his early walk would look at me strangely. Now he’ll stop for a chat every once in a while. It’s nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The problem is that often the scrotes who are looking to cause trouble also start it the same way, "whats the story bud?", "are ya'll righ?"

Then whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 canalman

I live in Clondalkin Dublin. I walk regularly on the Grand Canal. I find that if you nod or say hello 50% of people will react. Over time you will have many people who will have conversations with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Seasons greetings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Women under the age of about 35 think that every man wants to ride them so they avoid saying hello in case the man "gets the wrong idea". That's assuming that the man is in the bottom 95% of men in terms of attractiveness.

I have had this with acquaintances, e.g work colleagues from a different dept. We'd meet in a corridor or car park in work and she would studiously avoid making eye contact, staring up in the air or to the side instead. Other male work colleagues noticed this too, women wouldn't say hello or acknowledge their existence unless they were looking for something/a favour, then once they got it, they go back to ignoring.

I had one girl ignore me until she broke up with her boyfriend, then was all smiles. Too late, now I ignored her.

Another one ignored me all the time, I said this to another female colleague who tried to excuse the behaviour "ah she's just shy". This same "shy" girl had no qualms about dating scumbags, violent thugs and drug dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I go out walking every day and the vast majority of people will say hello back. There's one lady who I see from time to time who never says hello back. She's English which probably explains why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Some people will, some people won't. My toddler sometimes takes to enthusiastically greeting everyone on our walks, especially if she's had a positive response to the first one or two. You can see she looks confused and sad when someone doesn't respond. She doesn't do it as much now as she used to.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Packrat

Anyone who won't smile/say Hi back to a toddler is an utter privk. They unfortunately do exist though.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Advertisement