Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charging.

Options
  • 26-12-2023 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My current setup for charging my Nissan leaf is the Nissan leaf granny cable. This has worked absolutely perfect for over 4 years - no issues

the wiring for this is based on a 16 amp setup so can handle up to 3.6kw. Right now, I want to leave the wiring as is. I will be changing the leaf to a bigger battery car

with this setup, my car can charge at roughly 2.2kw an hour.

my question is could I buy the device in the below link and achieve 3.6kw charging per hour via a 3 pin plug?

seems easier than installing a dedicated 3.6kw charger

AFYEEV EV charger Portable, 3.6kW charger Auto battery switchable electricity 8a-16a with screen, 5m type 2 charging cable for E Hybrid & E-Auto https://amzn.eu/d/bwuT3yk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I wouldn’t, put the money towards a more future proof 7kW charger. In relative terms, it’s small money compared to what you’re going to pay out for a bigger battery car. You may just have missed out on the €600 SEAI grant though. Chance your arm and put in an online application before the 31st though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

I am in the process of moving houses and this will take months so installing a proper charger is not an option right now..

will the linked charger potentially give 3.6kw charging via a 3 pin plug?

Exact output will be dependent on your voltage, this can vary which will affect the charger output. If you get a proper charger in now you can easily disconnect it and bring with you to reinstall in your new house. Might be possible to claim the grant twice also. Extended use of a 3 pin plug at 3.6kW could well cause overheating at the socket. OEM/Expensive granny chargers have a temperature sensor in the plug to detect this. A 3rd party one from Amazon may not. One of the reviews on Amazon states no CE mark on it, buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 oDerak_man

I was using granny charger with 16A output for a time (a few months) before I've got 7kW charger and it was working fine. As stated before, the exact output depends on voltage which may fluctuate a bit, but still better than a standard 2.2kW granny charger. I did not have any problems with cable or socket overheating, still, it's prudent to make sure that your wiring and socket are in good condition.

Have still that portable charger available if you're interested; had it on Adverts but didn't get any interest back then.

Thanks all. So essentially and high level, is the device I linked capable of charging at 3.6kw from a 3 pin plug? (Versus the 2.2kw an hour of a standard granny charger))

provided wiring etc is all good - I have a dedicated 16amp type wire running from my fuse box to my current 3 pin plug socket on the outside of the house.

Post edited by obi604 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Probably not.

Is there any such device that can charge at 3.6k per hour via a 3 pin socket? (when said socket has a dedicated 16amp setup directly from fuse board)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

UK and Irish granny cables are limited to 10 amps, about 2.2kW as UK and Irish 3 pin sockets are not designed to constantly supply higher power. Some kettles etc are 3kW but they only run for a few minutes not 8/10/12 hours like a granny cable.

On mainland Europe their sockets are intended for 16 amps. While adapters Europe to UK do exist they should have a 13 amp fuse fitted to prevent say a European kettle taking more than 13 amps.

If you constantly draw 16 amps from a 13 amp socket it's likely to overheat after a few hours or days or weeks and possibly burn the house down while you sleep. The wiring inside the wall may catch fire at any point up to the fuse board so even if using an outside socket the fire may start on the wiring inside. Even with the UK 10amp draw many people have had old worn sockets melt.

As said you can get seai 600 euro grant where you live, remove the charger when you leave and get the 600 euro grant again at the new house and refit the old charger. The grant is linked to the esb meter reference number and every address can get the grant even if same owner and a moved charger. When getting the charger fitted you can do a deal to remove it later by same person.

You must apply for grant before December 31st or it drops by 300 euro. You then have 6 months to install and claim money back. For new house it might be down to 300 euro by the time charger is actually in and you claim back. Online application takes 5 minutes.

Thanks. I installed this four years ago. My original plan was to get a ‘proper’ 3.6k wall box charger.

in the end I just went with a 3 pin plug external box.

so essentially, the electrician installed a 3 pin external box which has a dedicated wire installed running from the fuse box and rated at 16 amps (thicker cable etc) i.e. it’s not the standard thinner wiring.

would this setup support the 3.6k charger in the original post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭electricus

3 pin plugs are designed for 13amp so not safe for 3.6Kw. I’d be surprised if anyone who knows anything about electricity would say it’s safe.

If you have a dedicated circuit with the correct spec wiring and breaker, you could look at changing to a CEE socket and use something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VORSPRUNG®-Portable-Charger-Controllable-Digital-Black/dp/B09JKT3KQS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Capable, Yes.

Realistic, No.

If all the wiring is good and you have ideal conditions, you might get close to the 3.6, but I would guess the average speed to be closer to 2.8kW.

You really would be better getting a proper charge point installed. This can easily be taken with you when you move, or you could just wait til you move.

Is it possible to apply using the new house details?

Personally I didn't bother with the grant. Absolute rip off from most electricians hoovering up the free money and saving the consumer nothing.

Stay Free

thank you. See I am in a rented house and I don’t want to bother the landlord too much.

i don’t want to touch the wiring any more. So leave at 16 amp.

My thoughts now - purchase a proper wall charger capable of 3.6kw - maybe 2nd hand/amazon etc And get an electrician to simply install it

and also avail of the grant.

all electrician would have to do is remove the 3 pin external socket and install the new 3.6k charger. Wiring is already done to fuse box (surely could get the 3.6k wall box purchase and electrician work for less than 600 Euro)

then could reverse the process when I leave and put back the external 3 pin external socket.

I guess I can apply for the grant now quickly and hopefully get it - I guess applying for it will cost me nothing. Then see how things work out and either choose to install it or not before the 6 month expires. If I don’t go ahead with it, no skin off any bodies nose?

Realistically, you will be looking to get a 7kW charge point installed. No point wasting money on a lower limit model as the price difference is negligible. Most units can also be set to a lower limit. My Hypervolt charge point for example can be hard set to any Amperage and it won't go above that. If my wiring was only good for 10A, I could set the Hypervolt to that using a little dial inside the unit. I can also set the max current via the APP from 7A all the way up to 32A. Maybe look at something like that, which you can take away with you. You can buy direct from their UK base. Have them remove the VAT if ordering from them. They will invoice you and you pay via a pay link.

Stay Free

quick q, trying to do application and asking me for manufacturer and product name, I obviously don't have anythign bought yet

whats best to put here?

as long as I can get a 7kW charger that can indeed be configured to only charge at 3.6kw charging, this would be good.

thanks, sounds perfect. how much was this hypervolt unit?

or can I pick any one now and change it later or are they strict - as in the one you pick has to be the one you install

You're looking at around 500 for the HV depending on cable length (5, 7.5 or 10M). Send an email for an ex-VAT quote, delivered to Ireland.

You can select any unit and then submit the receipts etc later. Doesn't have to be same unit installed.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Nice one. Thanks. So just pick any manufacturer and this can change.

are there cheaper alternatives to the hypervolt?

presume its ok to go ahead?

if I use it before the 6 months, if not, presume that's fine too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes pick any, you have 6 months to claim back at higher grant. Beware most installers will not supply and fit a charger for less than 600. Most want 1000 euro or more. That said if you get 600+600 back the total cost to you may be quite low.

A proper charger can be set to a slower charging speed than 7kW and changed again at new house to full 7kW rate. A proper charger is best.

but if I supply the charger and the wiring is already done.......the job of the electrician is to simply to remove the 3 pin plug box from wall, maybe drill a couple of new holes and connect up the new charger, probably less than an hours work

Am I missing something?

submitted the form there, what do ye reckon are the chance of it getting approved before the 31st dec?

probably skeleton staff working from tomorrow onward

from the email:

"Thank you for your application. Your application will be processed and if you qualify, you will receive a letter of offer within seven working days. Please see the terms and conditions for further details."

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

Offer letter will be sent to your email automatically. You should get it within a few mins of applying.

Once you have submitted online before 31st Dec, you will get 600 and will get 6 months to claim grant from offer letter date.

I got an email with the below text a few mins after I applied

However, this does NOT seem to be the offer letter, this will come within seven working days supposedly, so I am not out of the woods yet

Application No. XXXXXXX

Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for your application. Your application will be processed and if you qualify, you will receive a letter of offer within seven working days. Please see the terms and conditions for further details.

PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE MATERIALS OR COMMENCE ANY WORKS UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR LETTER OF OFFER.

If you have any queries email us at EVChargers@seai.ie or call us on 01-8082100 .

Kind regards,

Electric Vehicle Charger Team

I’d say you’ll be okay once they’ve acknowledged your application. Start getting quotes from a few providers and get permission from the property owner.

What is the norm here?

1. Go with an EV company who supply the charger and do install.

2. Buy the charger myself and get a registered electrician to install.

my install should be relatively simple. Remove 3 pin box from wall and install the new unit. The wiring is already there.

• Advertisement

Price it both ways but make it clear you need grant paperwork. If you’re correct about the existing wiring, a local electrician could well be cheaper. If you need load balancing, a CT clamp will also need to be wired back to the consumer unit/meter. Local Electrician may also be able to source a charger at trade rates from a wholesaler. If you buy one yourself, you’re paying full vat on it.

Advertisement