Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 year old get out of the house.

Options
  • 25-12-2023 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

My son is 18 next week.

we’re at our wits end with him. He’s abusive, and recently abusing drink and refusing to answer text and calls to tell us where he is.

we asked him to be home today Christmas Eve, by 8/9 pm. We have to think of his sister here and exchanging gifts. He refused. So my husband had to track him down in a pub to bring him home.

he got abusive at home after and put his friends on loud specked and told us to tell his friends on what grounds we wanted him home.

I’m at the stage now where I’m nervous of him kicking off. And he’s having a terrible impact on my daughter.

he sweet talks my husband. But my husband is going his best.

we’ve decided to tell him we want him out.

he is earning a good wage. He can afford to move.

we cant take him any more.

any opinions. Would i be a terrible mother… but I need to protect my daughter too from his aggressive behavior.

he can stay in a single bed hostel till he gets sorted

he is handing up €80 a C week to the house we thought this might cop him on but no I’m afraid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

It’s the only way he will grow up, mature and in time you will get him back, lads mature soooo slowly, girlfriends help but bet he doesn’t have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I would approach it and say that his behaviour is affecting the family and it's in everyone's best interests that he moves out unless he's open to change.

That said he's welcome to come around so long as things are civil, and you'll always have a bed if he really needs it.

You don't want it to sound like you're kicking him out and cutting off contact, and you probably want to keep an eye on him too just to make sure he doesn't go completely off the rails.

I think that 18 is probably a good age for anyone to head out if they can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redneck Avenger

Don't walk on eggshells around him.

Tell him his actions have consequences and request he leaves by a certain date.

Remind him that if he believes he's acting like a "Man" then he should have no issues doing adult things like seeing what reality is really like by moving out.

Don't bow down to excuses. He knows what he's doing and requires a reality check.

Tell him he should find somewhere to live by the end of January to let it sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RockOrBog

It's better he does this now than in his 20s or 30s

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

2 kids boy and girl, the girl is the younger of the two? I'm second oldest of 5. 3 younger kid sisters and a useless older brother. I didn't have it easy as a young adult, mum kicked me out when I was 19 then asked me back. I went back then left for good when I was 19 and I worship my mum and dad. Dads passed but my mum she's my mummy and always will be and I worshipped my dad.

I left but visited them 3 times a week. I had every right to throw a late teenage strop 'our house our rules' and all of that ****. Come home from a crappy day as an apprentice to find my stuff moved about or find my cousin and her kid sleeping in my room and I'd to sleep on the sofa down stairs. I couldn't do right for wrong and it hurt. Once out of my parents house and settled myself into my own regime it was fine, honestly OP you won't be a horrible mum or bad parents. Kids gotta fly the coup and learn themselves. I'd an advantage as an apprentice steel fabricator and was house proud already but I still had to learn as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Maybe I'm being soft or stupid but the thought of throwing a child albeit an 18yo out of home makes me feel sad.

Is there any way of talking to him calmly and listening to him?

Has this behaviour being going on a while or is he being influenced by new friends?

I agree totally that no-one should be fearful of another person in their home and his way of speaking to you and the atmosphere it must be causing has to be very upsetting.

But once gone, the opportunity to find out if there's something behind this might be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭claregal1

How abusive did he get?

Verbal or physical? Verbal that's normal with most young lads.

Not making excuses maybe you embarrassed him by making him come home at a certain time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Maybe in your house.

Teenagers struggling for independence is normal, that is not what the op is describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fifijk

This is going on a very long time. We buried my parent in law 3 months ag and he abused my daughter around the her relatives, saying she was more or less ugly. Two cousins stepped in to break the awkward tension. The same day I was publicly abused. The first time I walk away and the second I asked he stop as people were watching him and it’s not fair.

we came home and he went at it again. Worst mother that I wotk t buy him a car etc etc. so I had taken enough and I gave it back to him. He then went into my face and started saying come on hit me, hit me……

that was the night of the burial. It was terrible on us all.

he is very frustrated that we didn’t get him a car. That we’re the only parents that didn’t.

we’re very supportive and loving parents, but he need to work for his car as do we. If we did I feel it would have caused great damage to him going forward.

many many thanks to you all for your time and opinions

the time has come he needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fifijk

Claregal this is gone passed teenage cheek. Wish is was only that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It seems you have done a lot for him growing up, he appears a little spoilt, no offence.

Time for him to stand on his own two feet, one months notice, just like real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Whatever you decide to do, you are not a bad mother (or father) for asking him to leave if he is abusive and disrupting the family, so don't worry about that at all. The worst thing you could do (I have seen it first hand) is still treat him like he is your loving little boy, despite how he acts towards you.

He needs to learn that "being a man" is not acting like a 6 year old having tantrums. Franky, he just needs to grow up, maybe a couple of weeks in a bedsit looking after his own clothes and food will sort him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

He seems to think he can bully you into getting what he wants. A strong boundary needs to be put up by you and your husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If he doesn't respect the family home and is earning his own income then it's time he moves out. It's no good for any young man to be cooped up at home. He needs to find himself and he'll likely make some mistakes but most people learn from them and mature and settle down

Supporting him at home while he's acting out is not gonna help him, it'll just delay his development

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

I have no idea what the answer to this is - but what if he refuses to move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Be right back

Perhaps pay for a week or two in some hostel? Is it too much to change the locks when he's gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I wouldnt do this, you want to stay on the side of "we are asking you to move out" and not "we are kicking you out and pretending you dont exist anymore"

The latter is likely to get his teenage man hormones all riled up and he will probably kick off uncontrollably, it will be too much for his immature ego to take and give him an obvious thing to rebel against.

Much better to go down the "clearly you are not happy living here and you are making everyone else uncomfortable, so we think it would be better for you if you were to move out until you are ready to be part of this family again" type of approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

He’s frustrated because you didn’t buy him a CAR? Lordie… he is mixing with a set of brats eh!

I mean, Christmas Day isn’t the day for this conversation, but if that’s his expectation, then a wake up call is definitely needed. He is a fully grown adult now. If I were you I’d actually think if there was a way to get him away from that bunch of wasters. Send him off abroad for a bit? Any relations in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭jackboy

Parents buying their children cars now is widespread so it is plausible that all his friends were bought cars by their parents.

That could be leading to unrealistic expectations. If the OP is wealthy then he may see no car as a personal attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I understand your issue, but I would ask, have you really thought about where he is supposed to go?

Someone has to say it, but we're in the middle of the worst accommodation crisis this country has ever seen.

Every available bed in hotels and hostels is snapped up, and I can't see any landlord renting to an 18 year old.

You could be literally putting him onto the street. And that never ends well.

Have you given him a strong warning that you are thinking of telling him he has to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭suvigirl

He should go house share like the rest of us did at his age. He will have to learn to stand on his own two feet and maybe learn respect for others living with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

Yes, I know it’s plausible , but still utterly misguided.

18-30 is when you learn to be an adult, stand on your own two feet, plan, save, manage money, relationships etc. Skills you need in your later 30’s, 40’s, 50’s etc. buying cars and houses for adult children is infantilising them, they miss the opportunity to learn those real life management tools . Just because other parents are undermining their children’s life skills doesn’t mean they have to follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Welcome to the world of homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Very few of my kids friends parents bought them cars. It's a myth. Daughter paid for her car I paid the insurance. She worked to pay for it. It's a bit like them saying in primary school that everyone has a phone. I'd be saying my house , my rules. I'd have zero tolerance for his bullying. He has to learn there are consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

I wouldn't kick him out - yet.

He sounds like an angry, arrogant, yet immature young man.

I would try to sit him down when everyone is calm (not wait for the next confrontation), and tell him that his behaviour is affecting everyone in the house and if it doesn't change very soon, then you're going to have to suggest he looks for somewhere else to live.

Don't tell him there's no place for him in his family home - that's likely to cause him a lot of hurt and create anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭jackboy

True but some of his anger at least may be coming from seeing the freebies his friends are getting. They could be slagging him too about this.

Unfortunately teenage boys take much more notice of what their friends say than their parents. It takes a long time to realise that most of these are not real friendships.

I get the picture that both parents are not aligned with the discipline also and that the father is a bit of a pushover, that is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If he is able to find one, again, we are in the middle of a housing crisis.

My brother lets rooms in his house, he had literally hundreds of enquiries for a single room from working professionals in their 20s and 30s with well paid jobs and references. No one is going to take in an 18 year old kid, when they have other options.

Throwing him out will only remove the immediate problem. It won't solve the problem.

There is a reason behind this young man's anger and his behaviour and maybe it is selfishness and immaturity, but the root of it needs to be found and resolved before such drastic measures as putting him out.

Maybe the resolution for the New Year should be engaging with a family therapist.

That's my 2c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Working with cash and demands to be home by 9pm Xmas eve?

He doesn't want a bed sit, he wants an institution someplace.

I feel sorry for the poor lad, no wonder he's rebellious.

What's wrong with people these days? We didn't have mobile phones when I was that age, but the only time I would ever take one out with me at night was if I thought I might want a taxi.

I see quite enough presumably sober people on phones oblivious to traffic, what are they like after a few drinks?

Personally I think good parents should keep phones away from kids before they reached eighteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Hahah good luck an 18 yr old boy getting a house share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Not sure asking an 18 yr old to be home at 8 on Christmas Eve when he pays 320 quid a month in rent is actually that fair of a thing!

Advertisement