Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2024 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sam was 3rd at the finish of Stage 1 of Dunkerque, with Rory Townsend 6th. Milan Fretin of Cofidis was the stage winner. All same time.

Dean Harvey was in the early breakaway and is 3rd in the KOM classification.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/4-jours-de-dunkerque/2024/stage-1/live

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

messy sprint. Fellah who finished 2nd attacked about 1km out. Nearly hung on. No lead outs at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Good enough result for Sam. Looked laboured enough though in the sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Nice sprint from Sam there. Seemed to lose the leadout in the last km but fought his way back up. Good to see him back on the win list.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah just catching up. Great to see him win again. Looked out of it going through the last turn but didn't panic. Great for the confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

well done Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thank f*ck for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Great to see him finally win for the new team and albeit not the strongest field, he had to work hard on his own at the end there. I still doubt the chances of him getting a shout for the Tour team? You'd think it might have been part of his contract negotiations, but he may not have been in too strong a position and that far our? I suspect it will come do to 'do AG2R need a sprinter at the Tour'?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭seaviewphotos

I guess it depends on weather they have someone for GC, would O'Connor do a giro / tour double. If not I'd say he has a good chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Winning isn't everything.

Style should always come first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Thud

great win, he’ll need to back it up with a few more wins to be in contention for the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Great for Sam to finally get that first win for the new team. Good also that it was in a French race too. Onwards and upwards!

Felix Gall is their best chance of a top ten in the Tour. They’ll bring Godon and Cosnefroy too for sure. I’d guess Victor La Fay and one or both of the brothers. So if Sam goes, he’ll be going without anyone working for him. I’m sure he’ll be OK with that too

I’d guess their main aims would be a stage win and even without Sam being at his best he’d still get them top 10s which French teams really seem to need/want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Declaton no longer fall into the bracket of chasing points, they're having a brilliant year with over 15 wins. I hope he gets selected but agree with comment on Gall being they're priority.

The lack of a big Paris finish may count against bringing a sprinter to TDF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

While I agree Gall will be their GC man if they are being realistic then it's a Tour of stage hunting and in those circumstances you bring Sam especially to justify the big signing but who knows.

I meant more about the exposure top tens get in French press. Others have spoke about it being a big deal for sponsors in the past

They’re definitely flying this year

Don’t think Sam could be classed as a big signing in fairness. The rumor was he was off to Tudor before this popped up

I know it's not confirmed, but Lucky Larry said on a Cycling Podcast that Cosnefroy isn't down to for any GT's this year. I'd think Sam is in with a good shout as they'll mainly be stage hunting imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Back to back wins for Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’d be stunned if the tour is not in Sam’s contract. It’s been 4 years since he rode it & not many years left to get another stage win.

I was worried until I realised he was wearing pink (rider #51)

I honestly don’t think he was in any position to make demands like that in his contract.

Interviewer after todays win asked him can he win in a grand tour again and he said “that’s why I’m here, to show I can still do it”. Interviewer said stuff along the lines of “people thought you were finished” and Sam scoffed at “that’s just people on the internet”

Strange sort of interview. Guy was trying to make it about a big comeback for Sam, but he seemed surprised by the line of questioning

He looked strong today. Hopefully the confidence is back

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

he hardly had the bargaining power to demand he does the tour. Very few cyclists actually will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

I am somewhat surprised at Demare being so far off the boil/pace. He seemed to adapt to Arkea quickly last year, I expected him to be giving Sam a hard time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Oh ya I agree, normally top 10 is a big deal but great to see AG2R doing well and to think Ben O'Connor almost couldn't get a contract, he was last minute for them and it's worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just watched Sam's race from today. His lead out team did very well. Good signs. Fingers crossed now for him. It would be brilliant if he was at the Tour and contesting sprints.

Yesterdays stage almost seemed routine, even down to the muted celebration.

• Advertisement

great sprint by Sam today. Nearly nicked the win from a solo attack who celebrated as Sam levelled with him. Inches from the win but a great effort as he was miles back

Advertisement